ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we know for sure that both SuperSession & the BST stuff was mixed into 5.1 by Al Kooper, but is being sat on for some inexplicable reason.
I have these in QUad too - including a version of SuperSession clocking in at 75 minutes run time too. It's GLORIOUS!!
I also understand the entire Led Zep catalogue has been done to 5.1, again in the vaults for the forseeable future too, likewise Deja Vu.

Blind Faith would be terrific, but do not hold your breath as I suspect the multitracks are dead & gone a long time back.
Electric Ladyland is possibly 4 channel anyway - it certainly decodes beautifully & the masters are allegedly marked "Do not adjust for phase".....or so says the legend.

OH GOD!! Neil, this is SO depressing to hear :(

Warner.. what is wrong with you!?

Rhino/Warner pulled the Stephen Stills DVDA! they pulled Quadio after 2 releases! they've never released CSNY's Deja Vu in 5.1 (even though its been mixed into surround, it's begging for a DVDA!).. they released a Live set of Zeppelin in 5.1 DVDA, when the whole back catalogue as you say has been mixed into 5.1!

and they never released their 5.1 mixes of VM's Moondance, Rods' A Night on the Town or PS' Graceland..

So stupid! SO sad :( :( :(

When I met Al Kooper a few years ago, he did mention that both were mixed for 5.1 SACD release, which never happened.

Well, we know for sure that both SuperSession & the BST stuff was mixed into 5.1 by Al Kooper, but is being sat on for some inexplicable reason.
I have these in QUad too - including a version of SuperSession clocking in at 75 minutes run time too. It's GLORIOUS!...

I have these in QUad too - including a version of SuperSession clocking in at 75 minutes run time too. It's GLORIOUS!!
I also understand the entire Led Zep catalogue has been done to 5.1, again in the vaults for the forseeable future too, likewise Deja Vu.

I too have both of the Al Kooper QUADs thanks to the kind and generous spirit of fellow preservationists but it is well known on his website his perturbation in extremis with Sony about their sudden withdrawal (discus interruptus?)from the SACD scene after he worked diligently on the 5.1 mixes. I cannot find the quote on his website but he is very proud of these mixes using unique analog and digital techniques- ways that my layman attempt to describe them would not do them justice. I really think we are missing out on something grand. But Upon his departure from this mortal coil I understand that he will ensure his legacy. Al Kooper is in the Musicians Hall of Fame - he should be in that Cleveland HOF too. He is in that rarified air in my pantheon of artists - I hope he's in yours too. Funny how Sony is doing ELP in a format they tried to kill - Couldn't they now do Al's 5.1 mixes???

Re Tarkus.
I will check with Sony today & post back later about what is happening re "Unknown Ballad".

Watch this space.....

I got my order in for both titles for only $32.74 at Amazon U.S., Free shipping.

For CA residents, best to get your orders in now. Because as of September 15, 2012, California will charge now CA Tax for internet orders. Actually, I've had to pay this anyway at times, so no big deal.

Last edited:
From Steven Wilson's Twitter
"Unknown Ballad is being removed from Tarkus, I'm unsure why. The currently available pressing has it, subsequent pressings will not."

Unfortunately,my copy has contain "Unknown Ballad" ^^;.
This track is not ELP recordings on my feeling.

I had ripped both 2ch and 5.1 tracks on DVD-A with Foobar2000.
All format is 24bits/48kHz linear PCM.
New mix on CDs are more louder than DVD-A.

Unfortunately,my copy has contain "Unknown Ballad" ^^;.
This track is not ELP recordings on my feeling.
I had ripped both 2ch and 5.1 tracks on DVD-A with Foobar2000.
Unfortunately? Hey you got as collectors item! And it's a Greg Lake tune with Gary Moore singing IMHO

Rik's ELP BOX SET Odyssey
This is unbelievable!

Date Time Location Event Details
29 Aug 2012 10:54:00 AM Philadelphia PA US Arrived at destination country
29 Aug 2012 09:01:00 AM Philadelphia PA US Arrival Scan
29 Aug 2012 06:23:00 AM ROISSY, PARIS FR Departure Scan
29 Aug 2012 05:00:00 AM KOELN (COLOGNE) DE Departure Scan
29 Aug 2012 04:31:00 AM ROISSY, PARIS FR Arrival Scan
29 Aug 2012 12:38:00 AM KOELN (COLOGNE) DE Arrival Scan
28 Aug 2012 10:23:00 PM East Midlands Airpor GB Departure Scan
28 Aug 2012 09:00:00 PM East Midlands Airpor GB Arrival Scan
28 Aug 2012 05:30:00 PM Swansea GB Departure Scan
28 Aug 2012 04:27:00 PM Swansea GB Shipment received by carrier
28 Aug 2012 10:05:52 AM GB Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

That's where mine will end up. I don't care about "collectability", so I will keep in sealed and pick up one from the next batch.

That is not what a TRUE music fan does. I will have a couple of copies but would never think of making a profit from the music.

I too have both of the Al Kooper QUADs thanks to the kind and generous spirit of fellow preservationists but it is well known on his website his perturbation in extremis with Sony about their sudden withdrawal (discus interruptus?)from the SACD scene after he worked diligently on the 5.1 mixes. I cannot find the quote on his website but he is very proud of these mixes using unique analog and digital techniques- ways that my layman attempt to describe them would not do them justice. I really think we are missing out on something grand. But Upon his departure from this mortal coil I understand that he will ensure his legacy. Al Kooper is in the Musicians Hall of Fame - he should be in that Cleveland HOF too. He is in that rarified air in my pantheon of artists - I hope he's in yours too. Funny how Sony is doing ELP in a format they tried to kill - Couldn't they now do Al's 5.1 mixes???

It has been posted elsewhere that one of the reasons Sony got out of the SACD business was because Mr. Kooper wanted a royalty for the CD Layer, the SACD Stereo Layer, and the SACD Multi-Channel Layer. Getting paid three times for the same performance may be asking a little too much.

Back