Future Quadio releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand Made was only available as a German CD-4. It was released on CD later in both Germany & US.

Likely the Quad master is in Germany or wherever they pressed the CD-4.
i have a vague recollection it was also released on CD-4 vinyl in Japan? 🤔 if so maybe the masters are hiding somewhere there! 🤷🏻‍♀️

edit: yes, here we go! also in Quad in Japan 🥳

https://www.discogs.com/release/5945243-Passport-Hand-Made

edit 2: the WEA German CD-4 titles were pressed at Sonopress iirc.

Dieter Dierks did the quad mix for Passport Handmade. He was involved with many quad mix recordings in Germany.

He has or had two studios , one in Munich and another in Stommhelm Germany .(also might of had one in Berlin).

There is a good chance there are Four Channel tapes stored at his Studios.So well worth while checking him out.

Also Sonopress in Gutterslogh Germany was where masters might still be stored .
They cut all six of the exclusive European CD 4 albums and also some that were available Stateside (USA) all for the European quad market.

I remember @ForagingRhino saying, back at that listening event in L.A. (BTW Mods: have some posts been deleted from that thread?), that the Quadio series would include a few "off the wall" titles. Maybe Mingus and Gil Evans are as far away from the wall as they plan to wander.

But I just want to throw this idea against said wall and see if it sticks: George Crumb. Why? Hear me out:
  • It's the 60th anniversary of the Nonesuch label, and Nonesuch was an important early "classical" adopter of quad, as well as a fearless proponent of avant-garde originals like Crumb.
  • It's also the 50th anniversary of the Kronos Quartet, longtime Nonesuch artists whose formation was famously inspired by Crumb's Black Angels, which has been called the "scariest composition of the twentieth century." Much of their own Nonesuch catalog just got a streaming-only Atmos upgrade.
  • Crumb underwent a big revival about 20 years ago, and there's been another one under way since his death the year before last. (See, e.g., this piece in last Sunday's New York Times. "It’s rare for a composer to quickly find a broad audience," that article begins. "It usually takes years, or even decades, and sometimes doesn’t happen at all." But Crumb enjoyed a "near-immediate assimilation to the musical mainstream.")
Granted, surround-wise, the quad mix of Crumb's Makrokosmos, Volume I (Nonesuch HQ-1293) is arguably no great shakes: it's solo--albeit "amplified"--piano, with occasional voice and whistling. Still, with artful employment of reverb in the rears, it amounts to more than just studio ambience or double stereo. Plus, it was impeccably recorded by the legendary team of Marc J. Aubort & Joanna Nikrenz and mastered by Bob Ludwig at Sterling Sound (the LP version, anyway, not sure about the reel, which is super-rare). And of all the recordings of this cycle done over the years--and there are several--this is the only one performed by the pianist, David Burge, for whom it was actually composed. Finally, I don't think this has ever been re-released in any digital format, so even a high-res stereo reissue would be welcomed by fans & connoisseurs.

Still not convinced? Two further ideas:
  • If there was concern that Crumb alone wouldn't sell enough to recoup costs, then because a Blu-Ray can hold a lot of music, how about a Nonesuch Quadio 3-fer of contemporary composers whose influence extends outside of their own sphere, notably into rock circles: Edgard Varèse, Ecuatorial (HQ-1269); George Rochberg, String Quartet (HQ-1283); and Crumb? If there was room for one more, you could, um, expand the trio into a quartet by tossing in some or all of Percussion Music (HQ-1291), which features works by five 20th-century composers, including Varèse.
  • OR: I haven't listened to all of the Kronos Quartet Atmos remixes yet, but of those I've heard, most are quite unadventurous--with the notable exception of Crumb's Black Angels, which is suitably wild. How about an Atmos Blu-Ray of selections from the Kronos Nonesuch catalog, with Black Angels as its centerpiece and the quad of Makrokosmos thrown in as a bonus?

Last edited:
Hey, @ForagingRhino:
Of course the following is predicated on all the artists/heirs getting on-board...

In light of a new Quad mix having been made to complete the Joni Quadio Box, Newly commissioned quad mixes of 2 Eagles albums in order to create a 4 disc box would certainly repay their investment. I would hazard a prediction that adding Atmos mixes (and bonus "Hotel Cali" (in 5.1 and Atmos)) would also NOT lose money.

Maybe?
...All In The Fullness Of Time...?
...tho none of us old Eagles' fans are getting any younger, hint, hint...

Hey, @ForagingRhino:
Of course the following is predicated on all the artists/heirs getting on-board...

In light of a new Quad mix having been made to complete the Joni Quadio Box, Newly commissioned quad mixes of 2 Eagles albums in order to create a 4 disc box would certainly repay their investment. I would hazard a prediction that adding Atmos mixes (and bonus "Hotel Cali" (in 5.1 and Atmos)) would also NOT lose money.

Maybe?
...All In The Fullness Of Time...?
...tho none of us old Eagles' fans are getting any younger, hint, hint...
FR’s stated before that the Eagles and their management currently have no interest in allowing Rhino to reissue any of their classic Quad mixes

FR’s stated before that the Eagles and their management currently have no interest in allowing Rhino to reissue any of their classic Quad mixes
Considering how often this comes up, that would probably make a great sig line for FR:

FYI... the Eagles and their management currently have no interest in allowing Rhino to reissue any of their classic Quad mixes.

Considering how often this comes up, that would probably make a great sig line for FR:

FYI... the Eagles and their management currently have no interest in allowing Rhino to reissue any of their classic Quad mixes.
Would also fit nicely here projected on Sphere:
1721159135569.png

He did? I never saw that quote. I thought it was difficult to get the band on board for things like this, with lots of red tape. But I never read that they flat out rejected the idea?

He did? I never saw that quote. I thought it was difficult to get the band on board for things like this, with lots of red tape. But I never read that they flat out rejected the idea?

You have to go through that Irving guy first ( I believe ), and apparently that's not easy

Back