How are you ripping your ATMOS Blu Rays?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm talking about TrueHd Dolby m4a (24/48) and the difficulty most PC players and DAPs have in reading it. Why this limitation?
By the way, what process do you use to get those Atmos lossless m4a? Just out of curiosity.
I have m4as that I rip using the Music Media Helper and they play back no issue on Windows' built in Media Player app. I find that I even have less of that annoying silence at the beginning due to the handshake. And tracks play back gapless so I think it is the best approach currently to playing TrueHD Atmos m4a on PC.

EDIT: Sorry, I miswrote. I'm playing them as mka, not m4a. Better to just use mka as others have said here that m4a may not play gapless.

I have m4as that I rip using the Music Media Helper and they play back no issue on Windows' built in Media Player app. I find that I even have less of that annoying silence at the beginning due to the handshake. And tracks play back gapless so I think it is the best approach currently to playing TrueHD Atmos m4a on PC.

EDIT: Sorry, I miswrote. I'm playing them as mka, not m4a. Better to just use mka as others have said here that m4a may not play gapless.
I've said before that I use the m4a atmos lossless format because m4a is readable by portable daps, but it seems they don't support 24/48 resolution, but Homer has explained why above.

Because most players do not allow the mlpa codec (TrueHD) to be recognised in m4a. Nothing to do with 24/48). Mlpa in m4a was only added to the mpeg spec fairly recently, a few years ago.

I looked at the source code used in VLC and there is a simple case statement that rejects mlpa. I mentioned that here on QQ to users of VLC ages ago to go and log that error but I assume it was never done as the issue is still there years later. The VLC code library is used by other applications or the VLC open source (I suspect JRiver is one, hence same issue with JRiver)

Just to be clear: Kodi and PowerDVD both play TrueHD inc TrueHD Atmos in m4a files.
My Power DVD does not read m4a 24/48. There is another player that does read Atmos m4a 24/48, it is the MPC-HC64.
Regarding the KODI player, I find it unfriendly and complicated to use. For example, I cannot see information about the m4a file, among other problems. Is there a way or tutorial to be able to configure and fully use the KODI player?

For the record, I do not find kodi unfriendly and complicated to use. It is a bit complicated to set up, and you do need to be a little computer savy to do so. But once set up, it's very easy to use. There are many skins you can use with kodi. You need to find the one that fits your needs.

What m4a info does it not show that you feel you need?

Back