John Lennon - Mind Games (2024 Box Set coming in July!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now tagging the Blu Rays, so slow, a little bit of a chore. Music Media Helper.
Blu Ray #1.
Make MKV:
t00-Elemental I will keep the stereo 24/192-5.1 & Atmos
t01-Menu- will not keep.
t02-Video only of menu, will keep, very cool.
t03-Elements will keep as Elemental
t04-Ultimate will keep as Elemental
t05- Video Promo, probably won't keep.
t06- Video Black and White of John and Yoko, probably keep.
EDIT: When tagging, the first song is the Easter Egg song, ugh, found out the hard way, easier to re-do than hand tag. Music Brainz does not recognize this.

Last edited:
I have been on a OCD bender since Friday with Mind Games, I'm coming down now as I get sick from being so out there.
This was a ripping, finding stuff, reading, listening, crazy out there trip. Worst yet, I think I have some more to obsess with but for now, lets break.
This box set was obviously put together by an OCD person, which other OCD's gravitate towards.
I will just add, a snippet from the book, as I believe there is an intentional order to listening, unless you just don't give a fuck, which certainly is a valid way of listening.
Well, see if you like listening this way.
Blu Ray 1 has Ultimate, Elemental, Elements, mixes.
Blu Ray 2 has Evolution Documentary, Raw Studio, Out-Takes.
According to the book you listen to them in an order for understanding.
BD 1 Ultimate Mixes-would be the original.
BD 2 Out-Takes from original sessions.
BD 1 Elemental Mixes-Stripped back, lean, no drums.
BD 1 Elements Mixes-opened up buried sections, minimum of 3 instruments, vocals stripped back.
BD 2 Evolution Documentary-explore from demos to master tape.
BD 2 Raw Studio Mixes- Raw as it sounds.

I have been on a OCD bender since Friday with Mind Games, I'm coming down now as I get sick from being so out there.
This was a ripping, finding stuff, reading, listening, crazy out there trip. Worst yet, I think I have some more to obsess with but for now, lets break.
This box set was obviously put together by an OCD person, which other OCD's gravitate towards.
I will just add, a snippet from the book, as I believe there is an intentional order to listening, unless you just don't give a fuck, which certainly is a valid way of listening.
Well, see if you like listening this way.
Blu Ray 1 has Ultimate, Elemental, Elements, mixes.
Blu Ray 2 has Evolution Documentary, Raw Studio, Out-Takes.
According to the book you listen to them in an order for understanding.
BD 1 Ultimate Mixes-would be the original.
BD 2 Out-Takes from original sessions.
BD 1 Elemental Mixes-Stripped back, lean, no drums.
BD 1 Elements Mixes-opened up buried sections, minimum of 3 instruments, vocals stripped back.
BD 2 Evolution Documentary-explore from demos to master tape.
BD 2 Raw Studio Mixes- Raw as it sounds.
Sweet. You're way ahead of me, I haven't made it to the second BD yet (beyond ripping to .iso).
Nice info.

I noticed all those tracks from 12 on are 9,465 KB.
When converted to FLAC the md5 checksums reveal that every single one of them is 100% identical. When those 90 tracks first came up, I was convinced that something had gone horribly wrong in my computer and/or drive. After rebooting and seeing the same thing, I went ahead and ripped and was very relieved to see that my results matched CTDB.

Worth noting too that at least four (maybe five, I've already forgotten) of the CDs also have music in the pregap before track 1. I generally use CueRipper, which will give you those hidden tracks.

Interview with Sean Ono Lennon in Variety:
https://variety.com/2024/music/news...ennon-remixes-boxed-set-interview-1236072293/

Q. Is there a nutshell way to say what you think the purpose of the Ultimate Mixes is, whether itā€™s on this one or what youā€™ve done overall with the different projects leading up to this one? Itā€™s more than just a polish on the original. Thereā€™s rethinking involved.

A. Iā€™ve tried to explain this to some fans who seem confused as to why Iā€™ve made some extreme, or arguably extreme, choices on mixes before with my dadā€™s stuff. itā€™s hard to explain where Iā€™m coming from because Iā€™m not trying to do anything thatā€™s clinically or technically correct. Thereā€™s no other way for me to do the best job I can do other than to make it as good as it can sound for me personally.

For me, these mixes are not about being true to some idea of the past, because those songs have already been out in several versions. I definitely only make choices that feel right to me.
And even if someone says to me, ā€œOh, you should have made this instrument louder or quieter,ā€ Iā€™m sad that they disagree with me, but it doesnā€™t change my feeling, because that feeling doesnā€™t change. I make music as my personal avocation, so I have a very strong opinion about what I think is good and bad, mix-wise.
Iā€™m doing my very best ā€” and I personally think it sounds great.

The hardback book is a delight, ran across this on the bottom of the final page.

Steve Gillmor's eye-witness story of the Firesign Theatre NOT INSANE badge on John's lapel in several photos.

1721145787703.jpeg

Picked up the quad 1974 Columbia at my local used record shop for $2 three years ago...
Firesign Theatre sez: 'Everything you know is wrong'

1721146465510.png

I prefer CD's with numbers on them.
CD text tells you what number you are playing.

Other John Lennon Box Sets Number the CD

This Set has no numbers on any of the 6 CDs
that us wrong at Ā£129.99

I prefer CD's with numbers on them.

[EDIT: Thanks to the mod who quite appropriately moved the above off-topic posts out of the poll thread.] (y)

Not sure I understand the nature of your complaint, but since you apparently chose to down-vote these excellent surround mixes to a 6 out of 10 for only that reason, I hope we can get some clarification. :confused::unsure:

Are you referring to this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

CD-Text is an extension of the Red Book Compact Disc specifications standard for audio CDs. It allows storage of additional information (e.g. album name, song name, and artist name) on a standards-compliant audio CD.

Like this, for example, from Gimme Some Truth?

1721239245578.jpeg

I would point out that while they may not be numbered consistent with your personal proclivity, if the unprecedentedly unique detailed art, black light activated portraiture, morse code, etc. is not your cup of tea, you be you. ;)

However, it may interest other folks, who've not visited the optometrist lately, that the CDs are in fact uniquely labeled, according to content, with a track list,
>>> in ridiculously tiny print around the outer circumference. <<<<

Behold, CD 1:
[Keep on playing those Mind Games, forever...] šŸ¤£

1721240147285.jpeg

Last edited:
I didnā€™t buy this set. For whatever reason, the ultimate set (plus Imagine) is enough JL for me.

While The Beatles solo efforts were good, Iā€™ve never felt that those albums other than perhaps Harrisonā€™s ATMP were anywhere comparable to their works as a band. How could they be without the synergy of The Fab Four?

(Probably still sour grapes on my part that the band broke up, even though itā€™s been over 54 years. šŸ˜”)

So, I'm trying to rip ALL the audio from the Blu-rays (Stereo mixes, 5.1 mixes and Atmos mixes), including easter eggs. When ripping Blu-rays, I always start with the stereo mixes in DVDae (I'm on a Mac). Unfortunately, no one has uploaded the track names to the online db. Is there a cheat sheet for what is what on the discs? I don't want to miss the hidden tracks either! Thanks in advance.

So, I'm trying to rip ALL the audio from the Blu-rays (Stereo mixes, 5.1 mixes and Atmos mixes), including easter eggs. When ripping Blu-rays, I always start with the stereo mixes in DVDae (I'm on a Mac). Unfortunately, no one has uploaded the track names to the online db. Is there a cheat sheet for what is what on the discs? I don't want to miss the hidden tracks either! Thanks in advance.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/mind-games-ultimate-hidden-tracks-easter-eggs.36320/

Thanks Simon. Thereā€™s some good info on there as far as the Easter eggs, but no one has identified the different versions of the album when looking in DVDae. Trying to figure out which versions of the album are 44:24, 50:42 and 51:21.

Attachments

• IMG_7747.jpeg
    IMG_7747.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 0
I figured it out. I forgot that in DVDAE, you can check a selection and hit PLAY and it will show you the Blu-ray screen for that section, which clearly labels which version of the album is being played. I have uploaded the proper tags to the db, so they should download correctly for anyone in the future.

Back