Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still only have Wilco's Evicted in stereo, no matter which-a-way I go at it. In fact, it's also showing only as Hi-Res Lossless on my iMac as well, which does not share a library with my Apple TV.

Also, The Yes Album and Live Evil, which have been displayed as Featured Albums on the Apple Music Spatial Audio page for two weeks, are still stereo-only for me... but for those two, I haven't seen anyone claim in this thread that they hear them in Atmos on Apple. For Wilco, so far I'm in a minority of one, unless anyone else out there wants to confirm they don't have that in Atmos either.
Still stereo for me here too, as well as the Jason Mraz album. I did notice that they populated that featured albums section with lots of well known classic rock albums, likely ahead of Tuesday’s presentation/this months new iPhone rollout so that they’ll grab eyeballs. With The Yes Album’s physical release out in November it’s odd it showed up this early…

I still only have Wilco's Evicted in stereo, no matter which-a-way I go at it. In fact, it's also showing only as Hi-Res Lossless on my iMac as well, which does not share a library with my Apple TV.

Also, The Yes Album and Live Evil, which have been displayed as Featured Albums on the Apple Music Spatial Audio page for two weeks, are still stereo-only for me... but for those two, I haven't seen anyone claim in this thread that they hear them in Atmos on Apple. For Wilco, so far I'm in a minority of one, unless anyone else out there wants to confirm they don't have that in Atmos either.
Still stereo for me here too, as well as the Jason Mraz album. I did notice that they populated that featured albums section with lots of well known classic rock albums, likely ahead of Tuesday’s presentation/this months new iPhone rollout so that they’ll grab eyeballs. With The Yes Album’s physical release out in November it’s odd it showed up this early…
Well, sorry to report it's now stereo for me, too. But I swear when I played it the other morning, it was def Atmos. Not only did it sound better than it does now (in stereo, through my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer), but I made a point of clicking on the song "info" and verifying that it was Atmos.

Must be some kind of cock-up . . . which hopefully will be fixed when we get the whole album?

As for the Yes album: that's a screw-up of a whole different magnitude!

Thanks for confirming I'm not cray-cray (as my kids say); hopefully it will eventually change to Atmos, as sometimes happens. For the Jason Mraz album, I get tracks 2, 3 & 12 in Atmos, as it's been since that showed up on the Spatial Audio page with those others, so at least that one's not a total bait&switch.

Since most of those classic rock albums you mentioned under Featured Albums are indeed in Atmos, I can understand why those would be paraded ahead of the upcoming Apple Event, but the logic escapes me as to why they would stick non-Atmos teasers on there for weeks, which just fosters disappointment and frustration. Is Apple just a deliberate enigma, or is the ship too massive to keep under full control? I wonder.

Well, sorry to report it's now stereo for me, too. But I swear when I played it the other morning, it was def Atmos. Not only did it sound better than it does now (in stereo, through my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer), but I made a point of clicking on the song "info" and verifying that it was Atmos.

Must be some kind of cock-up . . . which hopefully will be fixed when we get the whole album?

As for the Yes album: that's a screw-up of a whole different magnitude!
Sorry for y(our) loss.

Olivia Rodrigo’s “Guts” dropped today in Atmos on Tidal and I’m sure everywhere.

Am I wrong to be a 62-year old man and really like this? 🤣. I think “Vampire” is the best pop single of the year

Surround mix is nothing special but has its moments and still better than simple stereo. 😊
Rob Sheffield (who's not quite 62, but close enough) agrees with you:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/olivia-rodrigo-guts-review-1234820411
As for me (who is exactly 62), I think she's talented and has potential to eventually mature into making some adventurous and interesting music, but... not quite yet, for my tastes. I try to keep an open mind, but there aren't too many twenty-somethings I can manage to align with these days. I do like Phoebe Bridgers (this performance in particular really won me over), but she's (gasp) almost 30 now.

It just means I'm an old fart, who should probably don a trout mask and play more (sorry, bad reference to the folks pictured in my avatar).

Rob Sheffield (who's not quite 62, but close enough) agrees with you:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/olivia-rodrigo-guts-review-1234820411
As for me (who is exactly 62), I think she's talented and has potential to eventually mature into making some adventurous and interesting music, but... not quite yet, for my tastes. I try to keep an open mind, but there aren't too many twenty-somethings I can manage to align with these days. I do like Phoebe Bridgers (this performance in particular really won me over), but she's (gasp) almost 30 now.

It just means I'm an old fart, who should probably don a trout mask and play more (sorry, bad reference to the folks pictured in my avatar).
Agree with you. The album wore on me a bit by the end but as Sheffield said, it’s ambitious, intimate and messy. She has a ton of potential for a 20 year old. Looking forward to following her career.

I’m an old fart (3 weeks past 62) but with a 15 year old daughter who keeps me abreast of current stuff whether I want to hear it or not. But sometimes something catches my ear and I think “that’s worth listening to!”

Now I’m onto the new Chemical Brothers album. Which is a nice surround mix and also catching my ear!

I don't see the Jim Croce's either.
Can someone comment on the new Chemical Brothers? I do see it up on Tidal but won't get a chance to listen to the Atmos mix for a while.
I really enjoyed it. Nice active surround mix. (I only have 5.1) I’m not familiar enough with their stuff to say whether it’s one of their better albums or not, but I really liked it.

Jim Croce!!! 😲 I was not expecting this!!

I have to admit, my expectations were low but I am pleasantly surprised by these mixes! Not much coming from overhead but very effective use of the surrounds. I’ll Have To Say I Love You In a Song sounds especially nice and enveloping. Don’t be afraid to boost your volume knob a bit to get the full effect.

Last edited:
I have to admit, my expectations were low but I am pleasantly surprised by these mixes! Not much coming from overhead but very effective use of the surrounds. I’ll Have To Say I Love You In a Song sounds especially nice and enveloping. Don’t be afraid to boost your volume knob a bit to the full effect.
We were just discussing the Croce titles and the possible state of the quad masters in another thread. It resulted in me pulling out my copy of the 2-disc “50th Anniversary Collection” which has all three albums and some other tracks which I haven’t played in years. But I didn’t get around to playing it.

Now I’m going to wait for Tidal to add these mixes. So c’mon already! :hi

Good mix on the latest Miley Cyrus album. No immersive engineer noted. On Tidal the 1st track was way louder than the others though for some reason.
image.jpg

What in gods name happened with The Bee Gees Nights on Broadway? It literally sounds like someone played the record back in a room (full of strangers). I think a bunch of other pre SNF disco stuff sounded equally terrible. Thankfully the SNF material sounds great (and was obviously done by a different person). But egads ...

What in gods name happened with The Bee Gees Nights on Broadway? It literally sounds like someone played the record back in a room (full of strangers). I think a bunch of other pre SNF disco stuff sounded equally terrible. Thankfully the SNF material sounds great (and was obviously done by a different person). But egads ...
I've been quiet vocal about this Up mixing method that others call it "special technic innovated by #$%#$" because it was done by so and so engineers at a famous studio. It's a terrible way to up mix and causes numerous problems. It looks good on paper (music is reliving its moments in the studio again!!!!) but results are horrible. They did realize it was a bad idea because they re-mixed bunch of them (based on my listening experience) again in the box and ditching that method all together. thank god.

Back