Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been quiet vocal about this Up mixing method that others call it "special technic innovated by #$%#$" because it was done by so and so engineers at a famous studio. It's a terrible way to up mix and causes numerous problems. It looks good on paper (music is reliving its moments in the studio again!!!!) but results are horrible. They did realize it was a bad idea because they re-mixed bunch of them (based on my listening experience) again in the box and ditching that method all together. thank god.
When it comes to surround mixes, particularly classical mixes, there is a group of people that believe the mix should accurately reproduce the studio, concert hall, etc. I think that mentality is driving this trend, although a lack of multitracks necessitates it in some cases. At the other end of the spectrum, are active mixes that are designed to give the experience of discrete sound coming from all over, with the Flaming Lips’ “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” being an extreme example for 5.1. I definitely prefer the Atmos mixes that take their cue from the latter.

It's been gone from Apple, in the U.S. at least, since mid-July, if not earlier. Unfortunately. Sometimes such removals are reversed, but after this long, seems unlikely in this case. Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, I just doubled back to listen to it again, haven’t listened since July but thought it was great. I wonder what makes them decide to bump something or if it’s just some random pool to keep up with the bandwidth?

Yeah, I just doubled back to listen to it again, haven’t listened since July but thought it was great. I wonder what makes them decide to bump something or if it’s just some random pool to keep up with the bandwidth?
As I commented in this thread at the time, in all likelihood it's not Apple's decision to remove things, unless their terms are violated somehow (such as fake/upmixed Atmos); it's the record company or the artist who decide they don't want it up anymore. Perhaps it was released by mistake in the first place, or the band decides they don't like the mix, or the label doesn't want to dilute sales from a potential or actual physical release.

@himey or someone else with Tidal, can you confirm if the album My Morning Jacket is still available in Atmos there?

I’ve spent a couple of hours on amazon tonight listening to various atmos mixes and they all seem to have one thing in common, no matter the genre the drums appear to be dampened down so that they sound as if they were recorded far away from the rest of the music, this doesnt happen on the 20 or so atmos blu ray albums I have, has anyone else noticed this?

As I commented in this thread at the time, in all likelihood it's not Apple's decision to remove things, unless their terms are violated somehow (such as fake/upmixed Atmos); it's the record company or the artist who decide they don't want it up anymore. Perhaps it was released by mistake in the first place, or the band decides they don't like the mix, or the label doesn't want to dilute sales from a potential or actual physical release.

@himey or someone else with Tidal, can you confirm if the album My Morning Jacket is still available in Atmos there?
It appears so: https://tidal.com/album/293899774

I’ve spent a couple of hours on amazon tonight listening to various atmos mixes and they all seem to have one thing in common, no matter the genre the drums appear to be dampened down so that they sound as if they were recorded far away from the rest of the music, this doesnt happen on the 20 or so atmos blu ray albums I have, has anyone else noticed this?
For some unknown reason the Amazon content to my ear’s sounds less ‘fuller’. Perhaps try Apple which i find sounding superior.

I will now proceed to duck as those technically minded tell me this shouldn’t be the case.

For some unknown reason the Amazon content to my ear’s sounds less ‘fuller’. Perhaps try Apple which i find sounding superior.

I will now proceed to duck as those technically minded tell me this shouldn’t be the case.
I’m on a free trial with amazon unlimited, I wont be paying for it or buying an apple tv in future (even though i’m an apple geek). I shall stick to my blu rays for proper atmos mixes

Back