Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Finland only When Doves Cry in Apple
Could it be somewhere else? The Deluxe edition of Purple Rain had only When Doves Cry track as Atmos. This is a different, new release closer to the listing of the original album (no deluxe label, credited to Prince rather than Prince & The Revolution)

Anyway, after a couple of listens I'm ambivalent to it. As mentioned elsewhere the volume is all over the place, and there is a lot of repeat panning left and right of the same instrument which feels completely hyperactive and totally unnecessary to me, somewhat betraying the stereo versions. I'm all for immersion and staging, but this version feels to me to have been rushed given how inconsistent to me.

Compare Atmos version of When Doves Cry from the Deluxe release and this release.

The "music + ambience" version of the new Mannheim Steamroller just scared my cat out of the room. She was interested in the bird sounds at first, but left when the thunderstorm broke on top of her.

See if Chip Davis' psychoacoustic algorithms make your listening room as big as the outdoors.

https://www.mannheimsteamroller.com/mannheim-steamroller-summer-song-ambience-series/

Available for the first time mixed and mastered in Dolby Atmos by Abbey Road Studios, London, “The Ambience Series” combines natural sounds digitally captured in a 200-by-200-foot surround sound algorithm and coupled with Chip’s original music compositions. Utilizing the power of applied psychoacoustics, the resulting sounds transforms any space into an area that places you into a new “perceptual reality” — a soothing, comforting, and healing environment.

“Summer Song” Is the First Release in “The Ambience Series.

Ease into the emotional journey of “Summer Song,” the inaugural release of Mannheim Steamroller’s “Ambience Series,” now streaming in stereo and Dolby Atmos / Spatial Audio. This musical masterpiece, recorded over many summer days, beautifully captures the development and passing of a thunderstorm. The music evolves, starting with Native American flutes and gradually growing in orchestration. ‘Summer Song’ will transport you to a Midwest Summer day, evoking a profound sense of nostalgia and tranquility.

Thanks, that explains it.
It appears these four tracks that are duplicated from the First Rays of the New Rising Sun Atmos stream that's been around for a while.

We've seen Apple do this with other compilations when new Atmos versions of individual tracks materialize.
That's too bad. :( I would really love to hear Pali Gap in Atmos.

Back