Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Öyster Cult – Secret Treaties (SACD 4.0)

NC00NzY5LmpwZWc.jpeg

BECK BOGERT APPICE [SONY Japan Multi~CH SACD] Having listened to this album for years via DTS Entertainment's original early 00 release, I will state that since I installed my new system playing this album at 77 db......quite miraculously the electronics totally disappeared and I was literally smack dab in the middle of this incredible display of musicianship. When the opening guitar riffs of Superstition ripped out of my speakers, I literally jumped and gasped at how unbelievably realistic and YOU ARE THERE it was. I have to up my poll score from 9 to 10 .....

Primary

Carole King TAPESTRY [ODE/SONY JAPAN 5.1 remaster] Another sonic revelation on my new system. Tapestry has been criticized for not having the discreteness most of us covet but I was stunned [once again] how my Meridian self powered speakers spread this masterpiece all around the room with state of the art immersion. Haven't compared it to SONY's original Multi~CH SACD release, but since Sony Japan has been remastering all these newer QUAD releases in QUAD [256] DSD from the original analogue masters, I do consider this stunning remaster DEFINITIVE.

Primary

Santana ABRAXAS [Sony Japan QUAD SACD remaster] My marathon listening session well into the wee hours continued with this extraordinary revitalization of a Santana classic! As we all concluded, DTS Entertainment's original DTS disc disappointed on many level with NO bass and shrill vocals but fast forward to SONY's new QUAD DSD remaster ...... Bass is amply restored and the once 'tizzy' vocals sound spectacular for another immersive state of the art remaster in stunning 7" packaging.

Secondary, 13 of 19

Santana CARAVANSERAI [Sony Japan QUAD SACD remaster] And as the early sun attempted to peek through the clouds, I concluded my listening session with another home run from our friends in the Land of the Rising Sun. Another pluperfect exemplar of Columbia Records dedication to the nascent art of remixing for the Quadraphonic format. Front and rear immersion: SPECTACULAR! Hoping SONY Japan continues releasing these QUAD treasures from a bygone era as, at present, we are now equipped to spin them in sonics never fully realized by those hazy and frankly lazy SQ encodes!

R.25aa60e7e0992e0b64308333df7e1581

Last edited:
Continuing with my new Sony SACD quad reissues which I bought in Japan at a Tower Records store...how they still exist there I don't know.....
I just listened to Santana Welcome superb but perhaps a hair below Love Devotion and Surrender which has more of the dual guitars of Santana and McLaughlin.

I'm now listening to Super Session. The quad mix is very immersive and the clarity of sound is great.
This is the only way to listen to this classic record.

The Japanese Yen is now weak against the US dollar 142 to one dollar now I think. This makes the cdjapan prices very affordable. Since Tower record prices are high I'm not sure I saved any money buying this way.
However I was able to buy a copy of Pandoras Box the quad reissue because it's released on Tower Records own label and the store had a copy in stock.

George Benson BREEZIN' [Warner Brothers/Audio Fidelity Multi~CH 5.1 remaster] 5.1 remix by Al Schmitt. In my honest opinion, MUCH improved version over Warner's early and frankly botched 00 MLP DVD~A 5.1 release with improved bass, gorgeous strings and immersive discrete soundstage

https://www.discogs.com/release/6100430-George-Benson-Breezin

George Benson - Breezin' (1976) [2014, Audio Fidelity Remastered, CD ...

Listening again to
Love Devotion and Surrender Sony SACD

Just fantastic.
I was lucky to have seen the Mahavishnu Orchestra back in the day and this is a dream pairing.

I wish Santana and McLaughlin would do another album together inspired by Coltranes compositions again.

Back