Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool snagged that one used $20.00.
Good deal, Markie and you're going to love

“Woke Up This Morning" from Joe McBride & the Texas Rhythm [from the HBO series THE SOPRANOS]

Which AFAIK, was never released on any Heads UP Multi~CH SACD as a complete album. The discrete immersion is UNBELIEVABLE!

Last edited:
Yeah, it is probably the best source out there, especially for those early 1980's CD's before they where remade and crushed by compression.
As an experiment I bought some original The Marshall Tucker Band CD's and so much superior than my 2000's remastered versions.
If I was smart I would have never gotten rid of all my original CD's at various garage sales over the years.
I've actually been pretty impressed with ordering outside the country. I ordered an early surround DVD by Orbital from a gent in Germany, still sealed for a reasonable price. Well it's still only a few ordered outside the US through Discogs.
I've done a fair number of trades with a select few people outside the US over the years. Since the Russ/Ukraine war it's diminished as I lost contact with the guy in Russia I used to deal with.

image.jpg

Hiromi's Multichannel Works (on SACD) are:

Another Mind
Brain
Spiral
Time Control (under Hiromi's Sonicbloom)
Beyond Standard (under Hiromi's Sonicbloom)
Silver Lining Suite (under Hiromi The Piano Quintet)

I think her 2019 album Spectrum has an unreleased Atmos mix as well.
Are we sure that Silver Lining is multichannel? I remember going down this rabbit hole before and couldn’t confirm it - on the SACD listing on Discogs, it says stereo on the OBI and also the back cover?

https://www.discogs.com/release/20261779-HiromiPiano-Quintet-Silver-Lining-Suite

Last edited:
Yeah, it is probably the best source out there, especially for those early 1980's CD's before they where remade and crushed by compression.
As an experiment I bought some original The Marshall Tucker Band CD's and so much superior than my 2000's remastered versions.
If I was smart I would have never gotten rid of all my original CD's at various garage sales over the years.
Sweet. I think I have those early Marshall Tucker CD's somewhere boxed up, at least Searchin' For A Rainbow, my favorite.

https://www.discogs.com/release/11606923-Wendy-Carlos-Switched-On-Bach-2000
Arrived today from Goodwill of Orange County (ordered via Amazon).

Now listening with my new $25 Walmart/onn DVD player (purchased because it can be set to region 0/all and will convert PAL DVDs to NTSC) using (original) Dolby Pro-Logic - moderate directionality.

Listened earlier with my Hafler/DynaQuad setup - seemed to have more precise directionality.

IMHO, it's too bad Dolby Labs doesn't push matrix surround sound encoding anymore, it could be used (with stereo media) to provide a taste of Atmos mixes without the cost of an Atmos setup.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Back