Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible Quad Mix

image.jpg

Playing the mind guerilla . . . Love is the answer
View attachment 107507 Prerelease
thread

As I await my delivery, teed up Johnny Winter's delightful quad version of Lennon's Rock & Roll People. Side One, Track One, John Dawson Winter III, 1974.

Hidden track on the Mind Games box, per Uncut:
"Written in 1970 and eventually given to Johnny Winter, this was recorded during the Mind Games sessions, great guitar & piano..."

1720885677566.png

Past, Present & Future - Al Stewart BD
Best of Doors BD
3 & 3/Live It Up/Guns - Isley Bros 2 SACD
Bursting Out & live - Jethro Tull 3 DVD-V
Miles of Aisles - Joni Mitchell BD
Stills DTS-CD
Average White Band BD
Hair SACD
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac BD
Bermuda Triangle - Tomita SACD
Bridge of Sighs - Robin Trower BD

As I await my delivery, teed up Johnny Winter's delightful quad version of Lennon's Rock & Roll People. Side One, Track One, John Dawson Winter III, 1974.

Hidden track on the Mind Games box, per Uncut:
"Written in 1970 and eventually given to Johnny Winter, this was recorded during the Mind Games sessions, great guitar & piano..."

View attachment 107545

Now this is huge info Clement. I am a huge Johnny Winter and John Lennon fan and never new this.
I just added to my Apple library for a listen.
Can you also buy a digital version of this, CD I am sure, but DVD-A or anything?

This one never gets old! So much phat phun!
View attachment 107544 One of my first reviews (!) on our 9.22 poll
thread
This is such a great album! I like this a bit better than XXL that followed - mostly for the all instrumental playlist. Though tunes like Hunting Rabbits and Jazz Police make it hard to ignore XXL. Both a notable Silverline exceptions to the rule. Putting XXL on now…

IMG_1906.jpeg

Now this is huge info Clement. I am a huge Johnny Winter and John Lennon fan and never new this.
I just added to my Apple library for a listen.
Can you also buy a digital version of this, CD I am sure, but DVD-A or anything?
Per discogs, only vinyl & quad 8-track.
I'm grateful for the smattering of quad that appeared on Apple Music in "Dolby Audio" quad, but seems it quickly became a dead end.

https://www.discogs.com/master/123490-Johnny-Winter-John-Dawson-Winter-III?format=Quadraphonic

1720887526088.png

1720887656432.png

1720887681461.png

Per discogs, only vinyl & quad 8-track.
I'm grateful for the smattering of quad that appeared on Apple Music in "Dolby Audio" quad, but seems it quickly became a dead end.

https://www.discogs.com/master/123490-Johnny-Winter-John-Dawson-Winter-III?format=Quadraphonic

View attachment 107548

View attachment 107549

View attachment 107550
tbh i think maybe Apple's Dolby Audio thing pretty much ended when the labels who were on board with it and/or 360 Reality Audio felt they had exhausted their archives already?

which was far from the case, as we know.. although it does seem like Sony in particular chose to release "everything" they were potentially aware of on the streaming platforms in those formats, virtually in one fell swoop (well.. 2 or 3 swoops! 😅😹 ) or that was in Surround and they could readily lay their hands on!? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sony even unceremoniously dumped a number of previously unreleased RCA and CBS Quad mixes in the process, quite unbelievable really! 🤯

that these previously unreleased Quads have largely been overlooked, even on this fabulous forum is a shame but there's just been such a glut of new Surround music the last few years and a lot of the streaming fodder was issued with little to no fanfare as we know, so in a way it's forgivable/understandable! 👀🤷🏻‍♀️

also, i feel time (and/or timing?) and money may have played a big part, perhaps Sony had to re-release a number of the old Quads one way or another right there and then for copyright reasons etc., or there were cash incentives from Dolby at that moment in time?

Back