Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ChinOppos (M970x, M920x) work great and have the same processing brains and run the same firmware, just no analog out. My M9203 does all of the work for me for playing from my stored ISOs, my Oppo 203 is just for playing physical media that for whatever reason can’t be ripped.
I'm probably missing something here, but no analog out? :confused:

Isn't the DAC in these players one of their main features? It certainly features in our multichannel playback system. Hell, I chose the ESS DAC in our Oppo 105D over the DAC in our McIntosh MX151 AVP, if that tells you anything about Oppo quality.

I'm probably missing something here, but no analog out? :confused:

Isn't the DAC in these players one of their main features? It certainly features in our multichannel playback system. Hell, I chose the ESS DAC in our Oppo 105D over the DAC in our McIntosh MX151 AVP, if that tells you anything about Oppo quality.
Correct, no DAC, no optical drive (although a model just came out with a Blu Ray drive, but I don’t know which keys are included or if it only plays ripped media; almost certainly DVD-A drive keys aren’t included). These aren’t particularly expensive devices, but you have to buy them either from Hong Kong or, more safely, through the AV Pasion folks in Spain.

What they do give you is the same (the exact same) MediaTek chipset, so all of the decoding (Dolby, DTS, DSD, etc.) and ability to use external media (a SAN, or external USB drive) are there, and if you want, the same LPCM output over HDMI. Obviously if you are interested in Atmos or Auro3D no Oppo can decode those, but simply bitstream over HDMI. With the jailbreak firmware, they can handle pretty much any external storage format (ISO, SACD-R, FLAC, MKV, etc.) or delivery format (SMB, NFS). They have the same limitations too, such as issues with Dolby Vision from MKVs.

My only AVR with analog in, a Sunfire Ultimate, died a few years back. All of my AVRs since are HDMI only. I purchased my particular Denon because ASR measurements of its DAC qualities were better than even the flagship Denon. I do have a Realiser A16 that can do analog in (16 channels!), but I’m not really interested in that cabling project.

If you really need analog, for 4.0 up to even 7.1, you’d have to add an HDMI LPCM external DAC, like the Essence Evolve II. I’ve got to believe that in the last 10+ years high end DACs have gotten better, but who knows? I find the DAC wars curious, such as folks paying, what, $14K for a DAVE headphone DAC?

Last edited:
Correct, no DAC, no optical drive (although a model just came out with a Blu Ray drive, but I don’t know which keys are included or if it only plays ripped media; almost certainly DVD-A drive keys aren’t included). These aren’t particularly expensive devices, but you have to buy them either from Hong Kong or, more safely, through the AV Pasion folks in Spain.

What they do give you is the same (the exact same) MediaTek chipset, so all of the decoding (Dolby, DTS, DSD, etc.) and ability to use external media (a SAN, or external USB drive) are there, and if you want, the same LPCM output over HDMI. Obviously if you are interested in Atmos or Auro3D no Oppo can decode those, but simply bitstream over HDMI. With the jailbreak firmware, they can handle pretty much any external storage format (ISO, SACD-R, FLAC, MKV, etc.) or delivery format (SMB, NFS). They have the same limitations too, such as issues with Dolby Vision from MKVs.

My only AVR with analog in, a Sunfire Ultimate, died a few years back. All of my AVRs since are HDMI only. I purchased my particular Denon because ASR measurements of its DAC qualities were better than even the flagship Denon. I do have a Realiser A16 that can do analog in (16 channels!), but I’m not really interested in that cabling project.

If you really need analog, for 4.0 up to even 7.1, you’d have to add an HDMI LPCM external DAC, like the Essence Evolve II. I’ve got to believe that in the last 10+ years high end DACs have gotten better, but who knows? I find the DAC wars curious, such as folks paying, what, $14K for a DAVE headphone DAC?
My latest AVR with 7.1 playback - is a Yamaha, and has analog in as well as HDMI. Bought used on Craig's List for just around $100. The only catch is I had to purchase the remote control unit on ebay for $45. I had a Denon which sounded stunning, but had a fairly faint swishy background hiss in the phono input, and I do a lot of vinyl playback. The latest (another) Denon had a dead quiet background but made my vinyl sound like 16bit digital. I think it was digitizing everything that went through it (no pure analog). So I dumped it and went for a Yamaha and got much nicer sound, and 7.1 rather than 5.1 outs. But what I am saying is there are many used models out there, and with some patience one can get analog in, (multichannel) pre-outs, 7.1 and HDMI for peanuts on the dollar. I know some might not want anything used and they have plenty of cash to burn. But I'd rather drop money on more multichannel discs, and higher end vinyl.

I do have an older Onkyo 5.1 AVR still works with amazing sound, great phono pre, but no HDMI. It resides in a bedroom rack.

Last edited:

Those Chinoppos are nothing more than media streamers. And there are better. No disc drive, no analog out. I fail to see how they should be included in a thread about owning real Oppo's.

I'm going to add this post here in The Oppo Club thread and, if it doesn't get much action, I'll create a separate thread ... somewhere?

My brother and I both own Oppo players. He owns the 203 version and I own the 105D version. As I've already mentioned in this thread, the 105D is the unit I've chosen [read: over our AVR] as the DAC in our MC playback system, which means that it's a very important piece of gear to us. At this point, I'm at the quad MC level, but, if finances ever allow, I'd like to graduate to the 5.1 MC playback level.

I've recently started noticing that our 105D seems to be producing quite a bit of heat when in use in our quad system. For obvious reasons, this has lead me to research the inner workings of the Oppo players, which includes upgrades. The main hardware upgrade that I've been reading about is the replacement of the OEM Oppo power supply with a linear power supply (LPS). Among other improvements that I've read about, the addition of an LPS is supposed to greatly reduce heat generation, which leads me to my question:

Has anyone on the Oppo forum board replaced their power supply with an aftermarket LPS and, if you have, who did you purchase it from?

I've seen various options available from China, mostly on eBay, but they're not exactly cheap; hence, the question ... and, if anyone has added other upgrades to an Oppo player, I'd love to read about it.

Thank you for your time.

I'm going to add this post here in The Oppo Club thread and, if it doesn't get much action, I'll create a separate thread ... somewhere?

My brother and I both own Oppo players. He owns the 203 version and I own the 105D version. As I've already mentioned in this thread, the 105D is the unit I've chosen [read: over our AVR] as the DAC in our MC playback system, which means that it's a very important piece of gear to us. At this point, I'm at the quad MC level, but, if finances ever allow, I'd like to graduate to the 5.1 MC playback level.

I've recently started noticing that our 105D seems to be producing quite a bit of heat when in use in our quad system. For obvious reasons, this has lead me to research the inner workings of the Oppo players, which includes upgrades. The main hardware upgrade that I've been reading about is the replacement of the OEM Oppo power supply with a linear power supply (LPS). Among other improvements that I've read about, the addition of an LPS is supposed to greatly reduce heat generation, which leads me to my question:

Has anyone on the Oppo forum board replaced their power supply with an aftermarket LPS and, if you have, who did you purchase it from?

I've seen various options available from China, mostly on eBay, but they're not exactly cheap; hence, the question ... and, if anyone has added other upgrades to an Oppo player, I'd love to read about it.

Thank you for your time.
Hmmm. I haven't analyzed my 105's power supply (never even taken a cover off), but I suspect it's a switching supply, which should generate far LESS heat than an analog or linear supply. If heat is a concern, perhaps it's because your player is in a confined space or your AC voltage is running high. Truly, I don't know what voltages are being used in the player, although I suspect the PS generates more than one voltage to be used by the circuits, displays, lasers and motors.

An external supply, whether switching or linear might help, but that's putting the heat source in a separate location, not really reducing the total amount of heat generated.

Hmmm. I haven't analyzed my 105's power supply (never even taken a cover off), but I suspect it's a switching supply, which should generate far LESS heat than an analog or linear supply. If heat is a concern, perhaps it's because your player is in a confined space or your AC voltage is running high. Truly, I don't know what voltages are being used in the player, although I suspect the PS generates more than one voltage to be used by the circuits, displays, lasers and motors.

An external supply, whether switching or linear might help, but that's putting the heat source in a separate location, not really reducing the total amount of heat generated.
1724093603181.jpeg

In this pic of the 105 you can see the XFMR on the left and secondary wiring goes under the tray to the right side. Ther you can see two large(ish) caps that probably filter caps and each one has what probably a heat sinked voltage regulator next to it. Then just a bit beyond that there are two more smaller caps with smaller associated VR's. There are two rows of 3 each caps with SMD devices with them. Probably still part of the power supply.

So of course I'm only visually analyzing the board lay out. But it looks to me the 105 has conventional linear power supply. For me it runs cool but then I give it quite a bit of breathing room & it sits by itself.

Last edited:
View attachment 108568
In this pic of the 105 you can see the XFMR on the left and secondary wiring goes under the tray to the right side. Ther you can see two large(ish) caps that probably filter caps and each one has what probably a heat sinked voltage regulator next to it. Then just a bit beyond that there are two more smaller caps with smaller associated VR's. There are two rows of 3 each caps with SMD devices with them. Probably still part of the power supply.

So of course I'm only visually analyzing the board lay out. But it looks to me the !)% has conventional linear power supply. For me it runs cool but then I give it quite a bit of breathing room & it sits by itself.
Hmmm, that's a bit of a surprise, although I know there are people who are concerned with switching power supplies being used for audio circuits. I know my Emotiva Stealth 8s use analog supplies.

So of course I'm only visually analyzing the board lay out. But it looks to me the 105 has conventional linear power supply. For me it runs cool but then I give it quite a bit of breathing room & it sits by itself.
The black box to the rear of the toroidal transformer is a switching power supply in a shielded box. The digital parts of the 95, 105 and 205 run from this switching power supply. The DAC board runs from the linear supply consisting of the toroidal transformer, the power supply board front right with the big caps on plus linear regulators, and on some models like the 95 additional linear regulators on the DAC board.

The 93, 103 and 203 have the same switching power supply as the matching x5 models but without the shielded box around it and with extra outputs (components not fitted in x5 models) for the DACs on the cheaper DAC board.

Last edited:

To be perfectly honest, barfle, I've never even removed the cover from our 105D, so you and @Sonik Wiz are both being very helpful here. My past experience with other Asian built audio gear, including a Carver DTL-200 Mk II CD player, hasn't been very pleasant, so I've been hesitant ever since to open the hood on any such gear, so thank you Sonik Wiz for giving me a peak at the secrets inside of your 105.

By the way, Bob Carver's "digital time lens" was supposed to be the cat's meow featured in his DTL-200 Mk II player, but it didn't last more than 3 or 4 years before the [funny enough] power supply gave up the ghost. Shortly after realizing that there was no practical way to repair it, it ended up in a landfill somewhere.

The black box to the rear of the toroidal transformer is a switching power supply in a shielded box. The digital parts of the 95, 105 and 205 run from this switching power supply. The DAC board runs from the linear supply consisting of the toroidal transformer, the power supply board front right with the big caps on plus linear regulators, and on some models like the 95 additional linear regulators on the DAC board.

The 93, 103 and 203 have the same switching power supply as the x5 model but without the shielded box around it and with extra outputs (components not fitted in x5 models) for the DACs on the cheaper DAC board.
When you write "...the x5 model...," Owen, are you referring to the Oppo 105 and the 205 players?

When you write "...the x5 model...," Owen, are you referring to the Oppo 105 and the 205 players?
I mean the 95, 105 or 205 to match the 93, 103 and 203. For a given x (9, 10 or 20) the x3 and x5 have the same optical drive, main digital board, and switching power supply with some different components fitted or not fitted (particularly in the switching power supply).

Hi all, I am working on digitizing all my surround sound to flac files on one external hard drive. I play them with my Oppo (105). But I don't understand how to create a playlist (.m3u) file so that my Oppo will recognize it. Can anyone show me an example of a small (maybe two song) .m3u file that will definitely play on the Oppo? Also, are there any special settings I need to make on the Oppo to make this happen? thanks.
In case you are still seeking a solution, I use the app called Mp3tag to organise the metadata tag info for all files. One of its features is to create a playlist in a few different formats.
Simply add the files you wish to be in the playlist to the list in Mp3tag and select create playlist from the file menu.
The important part is to ensure that the OPPO and Mp3tag can “see” the same path that the files are located. To make sure this is true, add the files to Mp3tag from the location that the OPPO plays the files from, then save the newly created playlist in the same location.

I'm hoping that this thread hasn't become too big to ask a simple question like this, but here goes...

I'm looking for anyone who's attached their Oppo 105D to a LAN, brought up the Oppo Network interface [that's output via the Oppo 105D's HDMI port] and had trouble connecting to a Mac computer that's been "discovered" by their Oppo player.

Our goal is to eventually create a "digital jukebox" that can be controlled wirelessly via a home LAN -- NOTE: we have no high-speed internet service available to us -- but the Mac computers that appear on the Oppo's network "tree" require a user name and a password to gain access. Long story short, we've recorded and tried every computer name, network name and user name that we can find (with their passwords) and have had no luck connecting the Oppo to either one of our two Mac computers.

It's also important to note that, during the initial configuration of the wireless router we're using to create the internal home LAN, we were able to share files, wirelessly, between both of our Mac machines. I'm no one's network tech, but that -- along with seeing both Mac computer names on the Oppo's network tree -- seems to indicate that our wireless LAN is, at the very least, functional.

Thanks very much for your time ~ B&W
Hi there B&W, did you sort out the connection issue with the Mac network access to the OPPO ? I am on windows so cannot offer a suggestion about Mac, but the 105D does also have connection issues with windows networks due to its old SMB1 required standard, which windows prefers to not use in standard setup. Just wondering if there is similar in the Mac world that is causing you the problem. Cheers

Hello, I have a question related to playlists for my Oppo 105; I have searched to see if possible, but have had no luck. Apologies if this has been answered in prior threads.

I use my Oppo 105 as a MCh USB streamer utilizing the built-in music player interface. I was wondering if there is a way to create and name multiple playlists that will be stored on the external HD I have connected.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi there, in case you are still seeking a solution, please my asnswer to KP later in this thread.

Silly question time... does anyone have any extra OPPO remotes that they might be interested in selling? I have a
BDP-83 and BDP-93, both bought used, that came with a universal remote that doesn't get all the functions, and I need some of the ones the universal remote won't cover. Thanks in advance, if anyone can help.

Silly question time... does anyone have any extra OPPO remotes that they might be interested in selling? I have a
BDP-83 and BDP-93, both bought used, that came with a universal remote that doesn't get all the functions, and I need some of the ones the universal remote won't cover. Thanks in advance, if anyone can help.
Last time this came up you could still buy replacement remotes direct from Oppo Digital in the US.

Last time this came up you could still buy replacement remotes direct from Oppo Digital in the US.
I had to send one of mine in for service, and they told me they didn't have any more remotes. The universal type that came with one of mine doesn't cover all the functions I need. I can't get into having it play from USB.

I had to send one of mine in for service, and they told me they didn't have any more remotes. The universal type that came with one of mine doesn't cover all the functions I need. I can't get into having it play from USB.
Can you not do this using the Oppo Media Control app available on both Apple and android?, alternatively there is also an Oppo Remote app which is just an online replica of the remote.

Last edited:
Back