Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked out any of the atmos mixes on the streaming services?

I don't have Atmos, just 5.1. The atmos mixes sound great down-mixed to 5.1.
Unfortunately, my surround system is old school blu-player only. :)

Any suggestions for a player with built in streaming options would be gratefully received.

I've not heard any of the mixes and when I get the Bluray, I'll be listening to the 5.1/ Atmos. But I'm intrigued, what is the difference between the two stereo mixes? I'm guessing it's more about a different 'feel' than being radically different to each other?
Yeah, that's basically it. The Dark-Side mixes are earthier and the Bright-Side ones more polished/radio-friendly.
Have you not heard "BLIKO" in afmos ¿
OT: I like your signature.

If anybody wants to get a good listen to the different mixes, check out the Dark-Side and Bright-Side mixes of Panopticom on YouTube.

Make sure you watch the video of the Dark-Side on the big screen and surround system cause it's a real trip. Really, really, really good.

PS I think I liked The Dark-Side mix better on this particular song.

OK, I'll pass on that. I'm not a millionaire. :) A 4k TV to listen to music!!
As other has pointed out, it is just a streaming box. And a mighty fine one, especially when you already have an iPhone or iPad. You can use those to navigate the Apple TV. Just plug in power, Ethernet, of wifi connection, a HDMI cable to your receiver, create a Apple Music account and off you go.

I'm all over this. The new album is not just good, but stellar. And a surround mix? Yes, please. And also, how about you go back and give the back catalog a similar treatment if possible?

I saw him in concert the other night and he played all the new stuff. There aren't a lot of legacy acts who would have the balls to do that, but the new stuff is strong. All the old farts took their bathroom breaks during Playing For Time and I thought they were crazy. Apart from Don't Give Up, it was the most emotive song of the night.

I'm all over this. The new album is not just good, but stellar. And a surround mix? Yes, please. And also, how about you go back and give the back catalog a similar treatment if possible?

I saw him in concert the other night and he played all the new stuff. There aren't a lot of legacy acts who would have the balls to do that, but the new stuff is strong. All the old farts took their bathroom breaks during Playing For Time and I thought they were crazy. Apart from Don't Give Up, it was the most emotive song of the night.
Daydream Tangent Alert…

I think the album Us would make for a rich surround experience but Daniel Lanois, who produced it (and So), seems to have pretty strong say on how his productions are(n’t) updated. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen but — and I say this in part to jinx my theory into oblivion so the cosmos will drop these releases when I hit “post reply” — I think chances are slim. For now.

Of course, Dylan’s Time Out of Mind remix presents a test case, especially with its limited physical release and its wide streaming availability. That said, it’s been heavily marketed as a departure from Lanois, even if it’s closer than some of the obsessives like myself feel. Maybe that was necessary to get it to market. Tinfoil hat conjecture, that.

U2 is gargantuan enough that I’m sure they could push through remixes of their work despite his ambivalence. While I don’t think they would without his blessing, I also never foresaw them re-recording swaths of their catalogue as a torch songs for a box set or their doing a seemingly un-ironic Vegas residency. “Everything you know is wrong” indeed. I do think all their collaborations would be solid but especially Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby and Zooropa with their textural finesse. Credit due also to Eno, of course.

Truth is, I think Lanois is just kinda perfect for surround. The moods he likes to create that turn many people on/off are inherently immersive. That’s probably his best argument against surround mixes being a good idea but it’s such an opportunity, too. This could enhance the weight and dimension that some love while giving the breathing space that bugs detractors.

While I personally want Dylan’s Oh Mercy, Emmylou Harris’s Wrecking Ball (a desert island disc of mine) and the aforementioned Us, even his solo albums would be good. Maybe he’ll come around either for the artistic potential and work on it himself, or at least concede to the commercial/financial potential and let others tackle it with Time Out of Mind. Plenty of artists are demonstrating how this can be done without compromising the original intent.

Either way, back to this album, the contents I’ve heard from these new singles have my mouth watering on my ears’ behalf. As stated in this thread, the songs themselves are strong compositions well-arranged and well-produced. It’s a relief considering the risk of a weak album being slathered with surround to give it the mere air of modernity. I’m glad some of these legacy artists are hitting late-life strides.

there's a DVD Video collection called "Play" with his 'Hits' all in 5.1 DTS and one of his albums from the early noughties, "Up", made it out on Surround SACD. both Surround-y Forum favourites ✌️🤩

Thanks for the tip, not sure how I missed the Play video dvd. I was able to pick up a copy. Anyone have recommendations on how to rip it to my usb drive so I can play it in my car? I tried DVDAE and some of the tracks had a lot of clipping (Games w/o Frontiers) and a few looked pretty brickwalled. Wondering if there is a better way to rip that may not contribute to these issues?

Easily the worst song yet. Just slow and meandering w/ a vocal performance that doesn't match the rest of the album. I hope the last one doesn't follow suit.

BTW, this is still one of the best albums of the year, regardless of the status of these final tracks.

I don't do Apple. I feel their kit is way overpriced. ;)
I got a first gen Apple TV 4K from Best Buy for $129 with 6 months of Apple Music free. I paid more than that for just ONE of the Beatles box sets. Marry that up with all of the Atmos riches you get on Apple Music for $9.99 month and it’s the surround sound deal of the century!!

Back