Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So- is the inside mix an Atmos version of the light side, the dark side or a combination of both?
It’s a different mix by a different engineer, but the stereo version that’s downloaded alongside the Atmos track (or if you turn Atmos off) is the Light-Side version.

It makes sense I swear

Not sure about that, but the album definitely grows. But I still feel there is no experimentation or daring or even modernism in sound compared to the last two studio albums (Us and Up). It feels like a follow-up that comes about 15 to 20 years late. Still a fine album though.
Yes, but this is why I still feel like it's a great album. This sounds like it could be early 90s Gabriel, and yet still sounds fresh. Part of that is because Gabriel was so different from anybody else even then, and the other part is the sad state of music since. A third element at play here is that he hasn't put out enough material in the intervening years to make you think, "Man, he's just making the same songs over and over again."

On its own, I think it's a wonderful album, and the 20 years of making it probably greatly assists in that regard. There are some catchy tunes and some somber, reflective ones. Some are both. If this is the last group of original tunes he releases, what a way to go out. Relevant, beautiful, and wise. This is still peak PG as far as I'm concerned. The best legacy act release I can think of. I mean, the guy is only a few years behind the Stones, and while their new album is solid by Stones standards, it doesn't sniff this. Not even close.

Out of curiosity; do we know if the blu ray includes the hi res versions of the other two mixes, or does it just have the In-Side Atmos mix?
I put the 2CD1BR set on my Xmas wishlist…

Edit: ah, it would help if I checked his store…
1701451103793.png

I listened to the Bright Side mix today at work (albeit in mono through one earbud) and I liked most of the album, standouts being Road to Joy, So Much, and Live and Let Live. It’s good but I’m not gonna run out and grab the Blu-ray, I’m fine with streaming it for now. I do appreciate that it’s being offered physically and at a very reasonable price, so I will wait until it goes down in price even more.

I’ll have to do a deeper listen between Bright Side and Dark Side mixes on headphones which should be interesting.

Another thing to note, I’ve never heard an entire PG album before (though I own many of them) so I need to go back through is back catalog soon!

I can see it being published in one of two ways:
They could upload all 3 versions in one long “album”, Light followed by Dark followed by In
or
It’s 3 discrete albums, and they’ll be available under “other versions”. So if you open Light, and scroll all the way down you’ll see the other versions.

OR
All of the above, because chaos.
of course, Apple Music had to go with option 3.
I see the Dark and Bright mixes grouped into 1, however the in-side (atmos) doesn't show when you search for Peter Gabriel. I had to search for IO inside mix and it showed...however, it's in stereo. Can anyone confirm if the in-side mixes are still in atmos? or maybe they did it as a way to promote the physical release?

I see the Dark and Bright mixes grouped into 1, however the in-side (atmos) doesn't show when you search for Peter Gabriel. I had to search for IO inside mix and it showed...however, it's in atmos. Can anyone confirm if the in-side mixes are still in atmos? or maybe they did it as a way to promote the physical release?
I think you mean that the in-side album is NOT in Atmos? The individual singles seem to still be in Atmos though

I see the Dark and Bright mixes grouped into 1, however the in-side (atmos) doesn't show when you search for Peter Gabriel. I had to search for IO inside mix and it showed...however, it's in atmos. Can anyone confirm if the in-side mixes are still in atmos? or maybe they did it as a way to promote the physical release?
My playlist with the singles all seem to still be in Atmos:
But the “In-Side” album comes up as 24/44.1 Lossless Stereo only for me:

It is unclear to me if this is either an upload issue, or it’s an evolution of the Apple Music glitch that if you had iTunes purchased tracks that have Atmos mix they don’t show up as Atmos (does having the singles in your library negate the full album somehow?)

It’s a different mix by a different engineer, but the stereo version that’s downloaded alongside the Atmos track (or if you turn Atmos off) is the Light-Side version.

It makes sense I swear
It’s a completely different mix by a completely different mixing engineer

Thanks for the info. Very interesting- 3 different mixes of the same album. That and the way he released it bit by bit (on which I didn't bite)- how original, so like PG!

I'm left wondering which versions were the bases for the live tunes?

My playlist with the singles all seem to still be in Atmos:
But the “In-Side” album comes up as 24/44.1 Lossless Stereo only for me:

It is unclear to me if this is either an upload issue, or it’s an evolution of the Apple Music glitch that if you had iTunes purchased tracks that have Atmos mix they don’t show up as Atmos (does having the singles in your library negate the full album somehow?)
It's the same here in Norway.:confused:

Been working my way through the mixes, saving the In-Side for last, which I’ll be listening to via my playlist until the official upload gets fixed.

The Cliff’s notes is the Bright-Side mixes are very very wide and expansive… gentler. The Dark-Side mixes are much narrower, closer, intimate, and industrial. Lots more percussion.

I think of the two I prefer the Dark-Side mixes a smidge more… but there’s versions on Bright-Side that have that edge. Might have to make a playlist of my “preferred” stereo version of the album.

looks like an awesome room...also looks like a very "dead" room!

Thx @kap'n krunch. While it is a moderately sound proofed and thoroughly acoustically treated room- the primary (early) boundary reflections of the 5 bed loudspeakers and 4 overhead loudspeakers are dealt with- it is not at all "dead" sounding. More than 60% of the acoustic treatments are either purely diffusive or hybrid devices which absorb down low and diffuse at higher frequencies. The end result is a very low noise floor along with a calm clarity to both reproduced sound and the live voices of the room occupants.

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

Thx @kap'n krunch. While it is a moderately sound proofed and thoroughly acoustically treated room- the primary (early) boundary reflections of the 5 bed loudspeakers and 4 overhead loudspeakers are dealt with- it is not at all "dead" sounding. More than 60% of the acoustic treatments are either purely diffusive or hybrid devices which absorb down low and diffuse at higher frequencies. The end result is a very low noise floor along with a calm clarity to both reproduced sound and the live voices of the room occupants.

View attachment 98904
View attachment 98905
Yep, that works.

Back