Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But to answer your question more directly, e.g. working with AI stems requires more work and creativity. I'm sure I'm not the best but I get by. Working with true multitrack just seems a whole 'nother thing as you got what you got, although I can see a lot of overlap, I would think it easier in the sense you have all you need to start mixing with. With upmixing methods, forgetting Penteo and such that basically do it all for you, I stick to the frugal side.
I work exclusively with AI stems using DeMix Pro (and LALAL for acoustic guitar.) @J. PUPSTER also uses Penteo to produce UDR (Upmix, demix, remix) while I use just demix, remix followed by brute force upmixing.

I actually think it is more difficult to make a mix from multi-tracks. This is especially true if the goal is to come up with a product that sounds like an improvement, yet somewhat similar to the original stereo, such as Aqualung. I mean, you have to get all the levels relatively correct. Then how do you figure out what the original mixers did with post-processing such as reverb etc, and apply those affects without turning your mix back into the stereo‘s mud?

I mean, you have to get all the levels relatively correct. Then how do you figure out what the original mixers did with post-processing such as reverb etc, and apply those affects without turning your mix back into the stereo‘s mud?
Well, personally, I just ask the engineer what they did. I haven't run into a situation where I don't know what the original mixer did YET.
I do like asking for stems as well as multis for referencing how an element should sound.

However, the most efficient way, at least for me, is to mix the 5.1 on headphones! I can match the stereo in timbre, and then test the 5.1 on a real system and make adjustments to the sound and panning.

When I do any sort of upmixing I try to place elements where I want them. I mean, my goal is not to sound like exactly like the stereo version. I get pretty adventurous because in the end I only have myself to satisfy. If someone else likes them, fine, if not, that's fine as well.
As my hearing is not what it once was, that works best for me.
I'm also more rear-centric with my upmixes I guess you'd say.

Unfortunately I've not been able to pursue much in this area in the last year due to life getting in the way. I even purchased an Nvidia card with 12GB of VRAM for stem processing. Such is life, and I hope to get back to it soon.
I did a little "tutoring" on simple DVDA authoring which I was happy to take time to do and created a series of instructional pics (which I seem to have lost, lol!)

Well, to me, it's either no compression, or artistic compression (which usually means blowing the sound out). I think, with modern DACs and digital headroom, it's bad to compress a dynamic mix to bring up the level slightly when you can leave it uncompressed. I'm actually guilty of this with The Golden Bonana, I meant to normalize to it -18 LUFS but accidently normalized it to -18 RMS, which is -14 LUFS. I'll fix it one day...but I didn't know what I was doing then let's be honest.
None of us were born knowing this stuff. One of my main mentors told me he got his education at M.I.T. - Mistakes I Tried.

I've been "upmixing" since about 2006 with various methods over the years. Since my goal was stereo > surround, I never had much interest in doing what everyone else was doing...although back then I'm guessing few would have access to multitrack unless it was derived from commercial work. Now stems are all over the net. Don't know where the come from and don't care. Just not my bag. Plenty of people doing that.

There are many paid tools now for upmixing. The only one I've ever used is a RipX trial. But the ones I normally use are sourced from GitHub or were made for Plogue by people I know. Not one much for spectral editing, although it can give good results with patience.

I use Plogue and Audition for mixing.

But to answer your question more directly, e.g. working with AI stems requires more work and creativity. I'm sure I'm not the best but I get by. Working with true multitrack just seems a whole 'nother thing as you got what you got, although I can see a lot of overlap, I would think it easier in the sense you have all you need to start mixing with. With upmixing methods, forgetting Penteo and such that basically do it all for you, I stick to the frugal side.

In a nutshell, really. That's my very quick take.
For those of you that use Penteo and demix programs, I don't mean to imply that the work stops when the program produces something. e.g. I believe some people go the extra mile and make changes suitable for the content!

Ron Santo was my favorite 3rd baseman when i was a kid; Brooks Robinson was a close second . . . third baseman, that is. RIP

I can remember listening to the Detroit Tigers on radio as a kid and every time they played the O's I just knew that Brooks would be the reason for the Detroit L that day. And sure enough. What a baseball icon !

I can remember listening to the Detroit Tigers on radio as a kid and every time they played the O's I just knew that Brooks would be the reason for the Detroit L that day. And sure enough. What a baseball icon !
Having grown up in Lakeland, FL, I got to see a lot of Tigers spring training over the years. Grab a sixpack, find a seat and enjoy.
The bars during this time were a trip as well, watching all the cocky young boys of summer strutting around. lol.

Norm Cash, Jim Northrup, Willie Horton, Mister Al Kaline, Micky Stanley, Micky Lolich. The good ole days. I was a kid and would get pissed when Brooks beat them. Usually a clutch hit or stealing a Tiger hit out of mid air. I would cringe when the Os were in town.

Ahhh the memories.
Mr. Kaline went to school with my father at Southern High School in Baltimore City. My dad was always an Al Kaline fan which kind of made his kids fans too.

81788970.gif

I was only in Canada once that I recall. I was 14 and hitchhiking the States and got a ride with a trucker into Canada. Don't remember much about it. But of course that was almost 60 years ago.
Eventually ended up in Arizona. No traffic. I decided whichever direction the next car was going, I was going to sprint to that side of the highway. Turned out to be a trucker headed for New Orleans. Took 3 days to hitch from there to Tampa and maybe a day to home.
Ah it was fun but scary sometimes. Truckers often made sure you saw a pistol sitting close. But I was usually treated quite well back then. I had no money but got a lot of free meals!

Back