Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOO! I had the night of my life at league play tonight! My highest series (652), my two highest games (238, 236), and my 10th clean game!
Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 10.31.05 PM.png

Colonoscopies scare me. Not because of the procedure. Because of the prep. Surviving without food for at least 12 hours is pure torture for me! I also do not like Gatorade. They often give Gatorade to replenish fluids...uuuuugh

17500 is absurdly high tho. That's the medical system for you. 🤪

Maybe I should change my profession to a doctor...wonder how much money I'll make.

Colonoscopies scare me. Not because of the procedure. Because of the prep. Surviving without food for at least 12 hours is pure torture for me! I also do not like Gatorade. They often give Gatorade to replenish fluids...uuuuugh

Maybe I should change my profession to a doctor...wonder how much money I'll make.
:unsure: Less than a lawyer?

I hope your wife is Ok, Gene.

We moan about our free to use tax funded NHS over here because of the long waiting times, but $17500 would be a huge amount to find. Private medical insurance is available here, but I know people who once they've used it find their cover payments rocket on the next renewal. I've worked for a few companies that provided medical insurance cover, but its regarded as a perk by the taxman!

The army have removed an unexploded WW2 bomb in Plymouth.
The bomb has been disposed of safely thankfully, but if that bomb went off and one or more of those soldiers died, would their names be added to their local WW2 memorials?

BBC News - Plymouth WW2 bomb: Device is now in water, officials say - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-68354617

Yes, doctor's and lawyers make very good money. One of the differences between them is a lawyer can charge by the minute on a business phone call, a Dr does not.

The key to big bucks in medicine is specialty work. To do that start young. Expect 8 years of college, a year of residency, and a year interning at a hospital. Don't forget jumping through the hoops to get board certified.

So for the most part I think Dr's earn & deserve what the get. Having said that traditionally billing for services is greatly exaggerated compared to what they are paid. The difference is what they want to charge & if they accept payments from insurance, the insurance company decides what the visit/procedure is worth. Now they inflate the prices because if someone doesn't have insurance they can charge the entire amount!!! They might make a generous "adjustment" and charge only half, but they are still making more than an insurance reimbursement.

Individual insurance company's might reimburse slightly differently but most of them follow Medicare. Medicare has teams of doctors that review improvements and changes to technique and practice. When I started working for my retina doc, one of the most demanding & expensive procedures he did was retina detachment surgery. Then a procedure was developed where the doc could go in & just roughly tack down the tear with laser and inject a bubble (that would eventually go away) and hold that repaired tear in place. This meant the patient has to keep their head down for most of the waking day so the bubble will stay in place. Bummer for the patient but it works well & turned a 4 hr procedure into about 1 1/2 hrs. Reimbursement went down.

When @GOS says $17,500 for the procedure I wonder if that reflects what insurance paid or the doctor's wishful thinking? Besides the GI doc there's also the anesthesiologist, cost of the hospital room (even if it probably was billed as out patient) and the supporting staff that prepares a pt for the procedure, and post op. When I went in a few days ago there must have been at least 8 different individuals like busy bees swarming around me. That all figures into the bill too.

Looking forward to receiving my EOB & look at the charges!

Yes, doctor's and lawyers make very good money. One of the differences between them is a lawyer can charge by the minute on a business phone call, a Dr does not.

The key to big bucks in medicine is specialty work. To do that start young. Expect 8 years of college, a year of residency, and a year interning at a hospital. Don't forget jumping through the hoops to get board certified.

So for the most part I think Dr's earn & deserve what the get. Having said that traditionally billing for services is greatly exaggerated compared to what they are paid. The difference is what they want to charge & if they accept payments from insurance, the insurance company decides what the visit/procedure is worth. Now they inflate the prices because if someone doesn't have insurance they can charge the entire amount!!! They might make a generous "adjustment" and charge only half, but they are still making more than an insurance reimbursement.

Individual insurance company's might reimburse slightly differently but most of them follow Medicare. Medicare has teams of doctors that review improvements and changes to technique and practice. When I started working for my retina doc, one of the most demanding & expensive procedures he did was retina detachment surgery. Then a procedure was developed where the doc could go in & just roughly tack down the tear with laser and inject a bubble (that would eventually go away) and hold that repaired tear in place. This meant the patient has to keep their head down for most of the waking day so the bubble will stay in place. Bummer for the patient but it works well & turned a 4 hr procedure into about 1 1/2 hrs. Reimbursement went down.

When @GOS says $17,500 for the procedure I wonder if that reflects what insurance paid or the doctor's wishful thinking? Besides the GI doc there's also the anesthesiologist, cost of the hospital room (even if it probably was billed as out patient) and the supporting staff that prepares a pt for the procedure, and post op. When I went in a few days ago there must have been at least 8 different individuals like busy bees swarming around me. That all figures into the bill too.

Looking forward to receiving my EOB & look at the charges!
My wife is an Internal Medicine MD. Retired now, but when she was working she worked her ass off. Nights on call, dictating patients' notes, and calling in prescriptions. These parts of the job are rarely seen by the public.
Plus we raised three kids as well. 🥃 🥃

Colonoscopies scare me. Not because of the procedure. Because of the prep. Surviving without food for at least 12 hours is pure torture for me!
For me, I'd rather starve for 24 hours rather than position a camera up my bung hole!

It's the procedure, for sure, that scares me.

For me, I'd rather starve for 24 hours rather than position a camera up my bung hole!

It's the procedure, for sure, that scares me.
I had one in 2021, slept through it, never felt a thing, got woken up with a nice cup of tea, all free, you Americans are fugging nuts paying through the roof for healthcare so that insurance companies can make $billions!

Back