Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custer State Park, Black Hills South Dakota! Beautiful…

1725365767786.png

Attachments

• 1725306934950.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I’m telling you Gene, for most of us the territory you are covering over the last couple of weeks, would be a once in a lifetime bucket list trip. What a nice perk for your job.
Wasn't my job! It was vacation for my wife and I. :) But, I was able to drive my company truck with all fuel paid. Now that is a perk...

Wife and I are due for a new vehicle. :( We haven't had a car payment for 4 years. Ugh......
We love our Jeep Cherokee and are looking at a 2024. I suppose we'll get a good trade valud on our 2017, which has 90,000 miles and mint condition honestly. I also looked at a 2024 Dodge Durango RT Hemi. What a freak of nature. V8 with over 350 hp, with a $9500 discount. It's gray, and pretty nice. Tempting....

I can attest to a nice boat ride to a hiking area across this lake where we promptly attracted rain clouds and had to cut the hiking short. View attachment 108914
LMAO! We did the same boat ride and hike, but also had to cut the hike short. Mrs Surround said, “You didn’t tell me there was this hike, so we have to turn around and go back.” The couple of miles that we did trek into that canyon was gorgeous, however.

Wife and I are due for a new vehicle. :( We haven't had a car payment for 4 years. Ugh......
We love our Jeep Cherokee and are looking at a 2024. I suppose we'll get a good trade valud on our 2017, which has 90,000 miles and mint condition honestly. I also looked at a 2024 Dodge Durango RT Hemi. What a freak of nature. V8 with over 350 hp, with a $9500 discount. It's gray, and pretty nice. Tempting....
This looks awesome

Different field, but same experience.
My coworkers and I, were sure there use to be a circus that traveled the country, teaching management how to treat the employees like shit and still to expect quantity and quality work from them. Their catch phrase was, "More with Less". And being a BIG Fortune 500 company, some employees knew if they played hide and seek all day, nothing would be said. The workload just got funneled down to those with a work etiquette, sure don't miss it. Retired 12 yrs ago, enjoying doing nothing now :ROFLMAO:
When I was an apprentice, many years ago the saying was, "You catch more flies with honey than salt", and that still applies 50 yrs later

Speaking of lunches.....I was a welder in a fab shop and the longest employed welder there, so I had a good rapport with management.
Anyway back to lunches, a group of 10 of us would pile into a guys van for a 30 min lunch break. I would get a sandwich and have a couple beers, while this one guy would slam down 4 Long Island Ice Teas. He would be plastered by 1, and his welds showed it. The foreman comes up to me and ask whats going on with ______ welds? I replied, What do you mean and he replies his welds look okay in the morning but after lunch they turn to :poop:! I replied Iam looking thru a welding hood all afternoon, so IDK, but he knew....LOL
And yeah, he was the first one laid off, but we always wondered how he drove home at 3 in the afternoon, as he lived over an hour away
I just thought of that while reading your post.......Its an old age thing, Now trying to remember what I was doing prior to reading the forums
Cool. I worked in a job shop for a few years in this farming community.. When I moved here it was the only job I could find I could tolerate locally. I thought I knew how to weld when I started, and truthfully welding steel is welding steel. But I learned a lot about welding different kinds of cast iron and got very good at it. Tractor blocks, car engine blocks, "dried out cast" like exhaust manifolds that some dummy either used JB Weld or a Nirod on. Malleable cast, etc. I knew when to use a raw cast rod, when to use brass and when to use a Nirod. Some of these poor farmers would about crap their pants when I told them a pulley off a combine would have to cool slowly overnight in the lime box and if they took it right now it would probably crack again.
Eventually they came to know my work was good.

I was fairly good at layout work, fabbing stuff customers wanted. Of course when you're on the clock, customers don't understand that every minute gets charged while they take an hour to try to explain what they want and start scribbling on paper to try and show what they need. Worse yet are the ones that hovered over your shoulder critiquing your work and insisting on telling you how to read a rule, run a lathe, drill holes, etc.

I built a lot of driveshafts as well and did "light" machine work on the lathes...I would never call myself a machinist.

My biggest challenge with cast were some large bearing mounts that had been welded many times, and yet broke over and over. I had an older friend that worked in the steel mills up north who gave me some instruction: butter in a nirod, stainless, and a 7018 rod in consecutive passes. Well I did so and the stuff never broke again.

The pay was abysmal but I enjoyed the work overall, if not the owners who knew jack about welding unless it was with a MIG gun. TIG? Forget it they had no patience for it.

Well our GC has well over 200K miles on it: it's a 2005. Got the 3.7L V6 Hemi, still runs good. Looked great as well until a few scrapes appeared, but I keep her waxed and shiny.
My wife is the primary driver, and the older GC's are bigger than the newer ones, which she likes.
When I retired in 2011 I traded my Z28 for it. Still miss that awesome car, I put a lot into it but I took over my wife's old Ford Ranger and it suits my needs around here. Not a "grocery getter" but a dependable old soul. The odometer quit at 106K miles a few decades ago but the only thing I've put into it was new coils for the old 4-banger.

The first record store I was in was the Musicland store in the lower level of the Indian Springs Mall in KS in 1971, no listening booths.

The FYE store on 40 highway did have a few listening stations (headphones only), I never tried them.

Anyone listened to any songs or albums in these type of listening booths?

Kirk Bayne

HMV_London.jpg

Things I like about Florida.....Weather....No State Income Tax....Women in shorts/or less...most of the year :cool:
After I retired and moved to Florida I got bored and took a job at a community college (great scenery) in Gainesville as the campus locksmith,one of the guys I worked with was from NJ he told me he always went back to visit family in the winter to remind himself why he left.

The first record store I was in was the Musicland store in the lower level of the Indian Springs Mall in KS in 1971, no listening booths.

The FYE store on 40 highway did have a few listening stations (headphones only), I never tried them.

Anyone listened to any songs or albums in these type of listening booths?

Kirk Bayne

View attachment 108928
The only listening booths I remember were at Wallach’s Music City in Buena Park, CA. They were actually big enough for three people (mom, dad and me) to listen to a demo record. If you liked it, they would sell you a new one.

Wow, those are pointy peaks. And here I thought that your pic of the Tetons looked like a worn stylus. I’ve got to get to this place.
haha. That particular picture is from a series of peaks called The Needles. It's a spectacular drive that curves in and out of such peaks. I've never seen anything like it.

Back