Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I retired and moved to Florida I got bored and took a job at a community college (great scenery) in Gainesville as the campus locksmith,one of the guys I worked with was from NJ he told me he always went back to visit family in the winter to remind himself why he left.
Alas, for those of us who love winter sports such as snowshoeing and Skiing, the winters in NJ now suck. 😞

On top of Mt Washburn. Yellowstone. 10,500 ft. Wind was blowing 45mph. It was hard to stand up without losing my balance.

View attachment 108917

I actually had second thoughts about the last 1/4 mile. There was a sign posted saying there was increased bear activity on the trail. Uh......yeah. I admit, it spooked me a bit.

On top of Mt Washburn. Yellowstone. 10,500 ft. Wind was blowing 45mph. It was hard to stand up without losing my balance.

View attachment 108917
I hope you guys realize what we have here....not only are these pictures awesome...we have Gos in a variety of poses...I think this one is the best so far....look at his face...that determination...that is not a vacation pose...that is a Douglas MacArthur conviction pose vowing to return to the Phillipines...he even provides some narration...giving the wind speed and his position on top of the mountain...he even added a bit of danger with the bear warning...gives me chills.. :whistle:

I actually had second thoughts about the last 1/4 mile. There was a sign posted saying there was increased bear activity on the trail. Uh......yeah. I admit, it spooked me a bit.
Maybe it was.......?
1725377763235.png

I hope you guys realize what we have here....not only are these pictures awesome...we have Gos in a variety of poses...I think this one is the best so far....look at his face...that determination...that is not a vacation pose...that is a Douglas MacArthur conviction pose vowing to return to the Phillipines...he even provides some narration...giving the wind speed and his position on top of the mountain...he even added a bit of danger with the bear warning...gives me chills.. :whistle:
Oh hell, that's hilarious.

The only listening booths I remember were at Wallach’s Music City in Buena Park, CA. They were actually big enough for three people (mom, dad and me) to listen to a demo record. If you liked it, they would sell you a new one.
I think I remember some Woolworth's stores having a listening booth.

A stormy morning. (this morning) It did help move some of the forest fire smoke out.....but not for long. A late evening of SMOKE yesterday. That was the first time the sun shown through smoke in almost 4 days. Still hacking today.. yippee
🙃

Attachments

• _05A0547-3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • _05A0520-2.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Cool. I worked in a job shop for a few years in this farming community.. When I moved here it was the only job I could find I could tolerate locally. I thought I knew how to weld when I started, and truthfully welding steel is welding steel. But I learned a lot about welding different kinds of cast iron and got very good at it. Tractor blocks, car engine blocks, "dried out cast" like exhaust manifolds that some dummy either used JB Weld or a Nirod on. Malleable cast, etc. I knew when to use a raw cast rod, when to use brass and when to use a Nirod. Some of these poor farmers would about crap their pants when I told them a pulley off a combine would have to cool slowly overnight in the lime box and if they took it right now it would probably crack again.
Eventually they came to know my work was good.

I was fairly good at layout work, fabbing stuff customers wanted. Of course when you're on the clock, customers don't understand that every minute gets charged while they take an hour to try to explain what they want and start scribbling on paper to try and show what they need. Worse yet are the ones that hovered over your shoulder critiquing your work and insisting on telling you how to read a rule, run a lathe, drill holes, etc.

I built a lot of driveshafts as well and did "light" machine work on the lathes...I would never call myself a machinist.

My biggest challenge with cast were some large bearing mounts that had been welded many times, and yet broke over and over. I had an older friend that worked in the steel mills up north who gave me some instruction: butter in a nirod, stainless, and a 7018 rod in consecutive passes. Well I did so and the stuff never broke again.

The pay was abysmal but I enjoyed the work overall, if not the owners who knew jack about welding unless it was with a MIG gun. TIG? Forget it they had no patience for it.
You know it brother!
As far as carbon steel, there's really only 2 types......Those that hold water and those that don't 😂

But I learned a lot about welding different kinds of cast iron and got very good at it. Tractor blocks, car engine blocks, "dried out cast" like exhaust manifolds that some dummy either used JB Weld or a Nirod on. Malleable cast, etc. I knew when to use a raw cast rod, when to use brass and when to use a Nirod. Some of these poor farmers would about crap their pants when I told them a pulley off a combine would have to cool slowly overnight in the lime box and if they took it right now it would probably crack again.
Eventually they came to know my work was good.

You've told us about your days of welding cast iron before, Boonie. If you decide to tell us ever again, please do so because I never get tired of hearing about it.

Back