Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early life​

Eric Clapton was born on 30 March 1945 in Ripley, Surrey, England, to 16-year-old Patricia Molly Clapton (1929–1999) and Edward Walter Fryer (1920–1985), a 25-year-old soldier from Montreal, Quebec.[14] Fryer was drafted to war before Clapton's birth and then returned to Canada. Clapton grew up believing that his grandmother, Rose, and her second husband, Jack Clapp, Patricia's stepfather, were his parents, and that his mother was actually his older sister. The similarity in surnames gave rise to the erroneous belief that Clapton's real surname is Clapp (Reginald Cecil Clapton was the name of Rose's first husband, Eric Clapton's maternal grandfather).[15] Years later, his mother married another Canadian soldier and moved to Germany,[16] leaving Eric with his grandparents in Surrey.[17]
Still available for good money, and one of my favorite 5.1 DVD-Audio releases; his album "Reptile" has a deeper family meaning, that of a dedication, IIRC.

Eric wrote in the liner notes:
"Where I come from, the word 'reptile' is a term of endearment, used in much the same way as 'toe rag' or 'moosh.'"

Clapton dedicating this album to his "Reptile" uncle, Adrian.

Also, check the discogs credits for the impressive list of supporting musicians on this album.
https://www.discogs.com/release/3571771-Eric-Clapton-Reptile

I mean, that's actually a great price when you consider what McDump is charging for a value meal thse days. I've never been in a Costco, nor a Sam's Club. I'm probably the last guy on earth to not shop or even visit one of these places.
I've never even seen a Costco. I did used to be a Sam's Club member a long time ago. But the nearest one is about 85 miles.

I hadn't either until we got one locally a few years ago.
I bought my first pc at Sam's club, is why I joined, actually. Later I would buy a Dell, and since that one I have built many, many, myself.
My first pc's for at-work use were a Stride and an early IBM. Both actually ran lab experiments but eventually they bought me one for my desk in my lab.

This one isn't so spectacular, but it comes with a story. After the sixth frame, a bowler next to me said, "Way to stay clean!" (A clean game is one in which the bowler closes every frame with a spare or a strike.) Of course, the very next frame i leave a 6-7 split. I don't even look at the guy. I just take a deep breath and aim for the very right side of the 6 pin. Sure enough, i clip the 6 and slide it over and into the 7 pin! The bowlers on either side of me scream and give me a standing ovation!
Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 4.54.26 PM.png

Here's a YouTube video of a guy picking up a 6-7 split the same way:

I like the way the bowler wipes the oil off on his shirt!

Last edited:
This one isn't so spectacular, but it comes with a story. After the sixth frame, a bowler next to me said, "Way to stay clean!" (A clean game is one in which the bowler closes every frame with a spare or a strike.) Of course, the very next frame i leave a 6-7 split. I don't even look at the guy. I just take a deep breath and aim for the very right side of the 6 pin. Sure enough, i clip the 6 and slide it over and into the 7 pin! The bowlers on either side of me scream and give me a standing ovation!
View attachment 106204
Here's a YouTube video of a guy picking up a 6-7 split the same way:

I like the way the bowler wipes the oil off on his shirt!

I'd say you had a "Tin Cup" moment.

Curious to know if there are any stealth multichannel SACD or DVD-A discs where there's no indication that the disc has a multichannel mix but it's there on the disc...

Curious to know if there are any stealth multichannel SACD or DVD-A discs where there's no indication that the disc has a multichannel mix but it's there on the disc...
The 5.1 remix of the Meddle album as an "easter egg" on Pink Floyd - The Early Years box set. Hidden to stand alone hardware disc players. Lookin right at ya with computer media players/rippers.

WIKIPEDIA SURROUND SOUND, I'm just noodling today, good article. Excerpt taken from the Wikipedia article.

plus, who knew.

In 1957
, working with artist Jordan Belson, Henry Jacobs produced Vortex: Experiments in Sound and Light - a series of concerts featuring new music, including some of Jacobs' own, and that of Karlheinz Stockhausen, and many others - taking place in the Morrison Planetarium in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. Sound designers commonly regard this as the origin of the (now standard) concept of "surround sound." The program was popular, and Jacobs and Belson were invited to reproduce it at the 1958 World Expo in Brussels.[18] There are also many other composers that created ground-breaking surround sound works in the same time period.

It happened AGAIN! I bowled 10 games today, and three of them were clean. Here's the story for this one: I'm 9 frames through a clean game, and the guy next to me says, "Way to stay clean, buddy!" Of course, my first thought is, "Here comes a split." Sure enough, i get a 4-7-10! This time i look at the guy, thinking, "Thanks, buddy." He returns my gaze and says, "You got this!" I throw as if i'm going for just the 7 pin, and sure enough, i clip the 4 pin and slide it into the 10! "Told you," he shouts. "Now throw a strike!" I comply and see i've bowled a 623 series!
168A486E-3E60-4641-9038-9135BE53D026_1_105_c.jpeg

Here's a hot shot picking up a 4-7-10 split! I did not throw mine from so far back!

Last edited:
Well it's been a week today since I've heard from Universal/UK support about my Queen - Rock Montreal + Live Aid.
The second disc will not play even to the menu, just keeps repeating a short video. Obvious blemishes on the disc which I sent a pic of.
Don't think I'll be ordering anything from them again.
I tried to rip it and get errors.

Back