Steven Wilson Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex (2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely waiting for some additional retailers to list the standalone blu-ray. Frankly, I'd like to hear a couple more tracks before purchasing. After listening to Economies Of Scale several times I'm really hoping to hear some radical differences in the rest of the tracks.

A French review has been posted, it looks like it's a diverse album. To make up your mind, you have to resolve the puzzle... It takes 65 minutes to achieve. It's a cinematic experience, hypnotic, melancholic with electronica, and ambient soundscapes. So it's complex, and unpredictable, like the man himself...

If only Steven knew a decent drummer... 🤷‍♂️
Like Gavin Harrison from PT, one of the best drummers out there. Anyone good enough to play in King Crimson is a keeper.

AWARDS:
Modern Drummer readers' poll for "best progressive drummer of the year" consecutively from 2007–2010, 2016 and 2019.
Best Prog Drummer in DRUM USA magazine 2011.
Prog voted him best drummer in 2011, 2012, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
Rolling Stone polls rate him as the third best drummer in the past 25 years.
In 2014, Modern Drummer magazine placed Harrison in the "Top 50 Greatest Drummers of All Time".

Last edited:
A French review has been posted, it looks like it's a diverse album. To make up your mind, you have to resolve the puzzle... It takes 65 minutes to achieve. It's a cinematic experience, hypnotic, melancholic with electronica, and ambient soundscapes. So it's complex, and unpredictable, like the man himself...
After reading that review (and the few others I could find) it seems clear that the impact of this album is cumulative, and single tracks taken in isolation cannot adequately represent the album without the greater context. It will be interesting to see if the cumulative effect on most listeners will be positive or negative, and more or less divisive than The Future Bites. If nothing else, I expect the Atmos experience to be excellent.

If only Steven knew a decent drummer... 🤷‍♂️
Like Marco Minnemann and Craig Blundell? As a previous post surmised, it is not like Steven Wilson does not know some "decent" drummers, but perhaps there are some relationship issues or they are just busy.

While I don't like the synthesized drums in the song either, I assume it was an artistic choice more than anything else.

Some peoples' sarcasm detectors might need adjusting. Possibly mine included.
Yes, we all know SW knows and works with world class drummers.
The only reason the new song features shitty percussion is he wanted it that way.
Maybe after listening to the top 20 pop songs on Spotify. Give the kiddies what they seem to want?

The only reason the new song features shitty percussion is he wanted it that way.
Maybe after listening to the top 20 pop songs on Spotify. Give the kiddies what they seem to want?
Agree...No problem.

I suspect the same. I think SW likes the flexibility not having to bring in other musicians is affording him, he can work on things at his own pace and in his own way. He also might feel that these songs do not require a drummer on them. Without hearing the remainder of the tracks, there may be live drummers on the other songs.

Perhaps you should be blaming Adam Holzman:

“Near the end of the pandemic I sent @StevenWilsonHQ a few ideas I had been working on. One was an electronic loop with some piano chords. Steven started with these elements and built the rest of the song 'Economies of Scale' around it.”

https://x.com/adamholzmankeys/status/1696564883431608588?s=46&t=NFQR4sJZnv7NW5AlSJoOAg

Back