Steven Wilson Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex (2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a result, some sections will go on for a bit longer than they otherwise might. There are also a lot more ambient sections than in previous efforts.
Thats fine for me. Sometimes, in other albums, I miss longer song parts, specially if you like instrumental prog, when I listen to "standard" 3-4 minutes song.

My serious music listening is mostly geared toward day's end, when I can sit down and relax.
With a new album, I try not to get too distracted with email and forum "catchup" while listening.
I don't believe necessarily that the album is overly complex, but at times there are a lot of elements moving around.

Screenshot_20231005_102833_Instagram.jpg

Has anybody gotten hands on this digital download that Steven is offering for a lower price on Instagram with two extra tracks? I have been trying to find out if it is in Hi-Res 96/24. The person on the website support replied "
Veronika (TM Stores)
Oct 5, 2023, 07:21 GMT+1
Hi,

We have been advised that these are size files/quality 96bit
I guess they're not technically aware about the formats so I'll have to bite the bullet and order. I already have the standalone Blu-Ray ordered by my wife as my birthday gift. I collect the digital downloads for my phone listening if they're in Hi-Res.

Update: So I came across this Discogs listing and it clearly indicates that this is the "limited till Friday" Deluxe Digital version but it is not high resolution and only limited to CD quality. The other digital version is the 96/24 and I think I'll wait to get that when there's a sale of HDTracks of Qobuz.

Last edited:
I've read a number of negative comments about this album. However, I'm listening to it now for the first time (streaming in stereo) and I think that it's beautiful! I did have an order placed with Amazon UK for the SDE which they kindly cancelled (due to "lack of availability") on the morning that it was supposed to be delivered. I have since ordered the single BD so I'm really looking forward to hearing the Atmos mix when it arrives. It's a slam dunk for me!

EDIT: love the Atmos mix too!

Last edited:
I did the reverse and listened to the Atmos version before the stereo version. I’ve been listening to the stereo version all day today while driving, and if I would have done this before listening to the Atmos version, I would have the same opinion.

It almost seems like SW wrote this album with Atmos/Multi-channel in mind first. The multi-channel mix makes a completely different experience than the stereo version.
Listening in Atmos on Apple Music, since my discs have not arrived here in Nashville yet.

I think It is truly immersive and I'm loving it. Do I like it better than HCE or TTB? No. Do I like it better than TFB? Absolutely - I find it much more engaging.

To each his own. As in all things, YMMV

Last edited:
View attachment 96964
Has anybody gotten hands on this digital download that Steven is offering for a lower price on Instagram with two extra tracks? I have been trying to find out if it is in Hi-Res 96/24. The person on the website support replied "
Veronika (TM Stores)
Hi,

I guess they're not technically aware about the formats so I'll have to bite the bullet and order. I already have the standalone Blu-Ray ordered by my wife as my birthday gift. I collect the digital downloads for my phone listening if they're in Hi-Res.

Update: So I came across this Discogs listing and it clearly indicates that this is the "limited till Friday" Deluxe Digital version but it is not high resolution and only limited to CD quality. The other digital version is the 96/24 and I think I'll wait to get that when there's a sale of HDTracks of Qobuz.
Since I ordered the Bluray version only and I don’t have the chance to rip it I also bought this version yesterday.
I don’t get what Steven and /or his label are doing lately. From a guy who got us used to digital HiRes version of his albums this one is,like you mentioned, in 44.1/16 cd quality only and I had to correct the first six tracks since metadata was all wrong. A sloppy job from someone (but this is more his record label fault) who I regard as a perfectionist.
Not to mention the lack of availability of this physical album, even though I preordered the Bluray Amazon states that shipping date is going to be from 20 October to 11 November. And I’m not talking about the über limited edition,just the standalone disc. What is going on?

View attachment 96964
Veronika (TM Stores)
Hi,

It's only 16bit/44.1kHz and you'll have some re-tagging to do, as @FrankieZappa wrote.

My guess is that they couldn't offer 24b/96k to avoid competing with the Hi-Res vendors.

Since I ordered the Bluray version only and I don’t have the chance to rip it I also bought this version yesterday.
I don’t get what Steven and /or his label are doing lately. From a guy who got us used to digital HiRes version of his albums this one is,like you mentioned, in 44.1/16 cd quality only and I had to correct the first six tracks since metadata was all wrong. A sloppy job from someone (but this is more his record label fault) who I regard as a perfectionist.
Not to mention the lack of availability of this physical album, even though I preordered the Bluray Amazon states that shipping date is going to be from 20 October to 11 November. And I’m not talking about the über limited edition,just the standalone disc. What is going on?

I pre-ordered the dulexe set as soon as it was announced off of the SW site (which arrived last week). I just had a look on there and both the deluxe and standalone BluRay are both Sold Out - THAT SUCKS! (as I always want to get the mulit-channel hi-res so need the Blu). I haven't listened/ripped that yet, so far been listening to the hi-res 2.0 via Qobuz only.

As you say, What is going on!!?? (I really hope for others at least the standalone Blu gets re-stocked!! :( )

My serious music listening is mostly geared toward day's end, when I can sit down and relax.
That's me, but then I'm a complete nite owl, always have been.
Love the time between 10pm - 4am when it's totally quiet, the phone don't ring with some jerk marketing,
all's peaceful. Then I can kick back in the darkness and listen to my music.
My fav is instrumental progressive rock, mostly the whole album, wrap me up in the beauty of it for
an hour at a time, stuff.
I'm in love with the Harmony Codex, best thing he's done in a long time.

I'm thrilled Steven is a much better artist at creating and mixing great music than
he is at judging album cover art. Half of a Rubiks Cube? LOL

Back