Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think CCR can best be described as "BAYOU" or "SWAMP ROCK".I do not find it too country at all..but on a sad note it is being distributed by Concord music which is controlled by UMe.
Sadder still is the fact that there is so much of the ZAPPA catalogue mixed in quad and six channel that will never see the light of day in any surround format because the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST has no interest in releasing Frank's surround art even though there exsists a growing market.....also the last I saw a Zappa cd it had UMe on the back cover.

I forgot to mention a few quad never released but announced titles SONY/COLUMBIA: THE BYRDS-YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY, BLOOMFIELD/KOOPER-LIVE ADVENTURES OF, JOHN McLAUGHLIN (MAHAVISHNU ORCH.)-APOCALYPSE, PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS-GREATEST HITS.
The ELO 2 I mentioned should not be confused with the group of the same name, I meant of course ELO-(SECOND ALBUM) and if ELO-ON THE THIRD DAY EXISTS then yes it should be released (wishfull thinking).
The ARISTA:LOU REEDS are in a form of multi mix SBS, so on a hope and a prayer, besides STREET HASSLE, it would be nice to see his other two in this format:LIVE TAKE NO PRISONERS and THE BELLS. Continuing with this multi track encoded format on Arista, ALAN PARSONS-TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION, this of course if multies have been mixed down to use in six or five or four track.

The Raiders' GREATEST HITS isn't a practical title, the evidence suggests no acceptable quad mixes could be made for some tracks, and HARD & HEAVY didn't sell beyond modest back in '69, so there really is no incentive to release it even in stereo these days.

It's too bad that an engineer of experience like Parsons hasn't done something along the lines of King Crimson and remixed some of his album for 5.1, since who else could better put them across? And it's the kind of music that would work well in MC, and there is certainly an audience for a stereo/5.1 reissue series, esp. I ROBOT, of course.

ED :)

The Raiders' GREATEST HITS isn't a practical title, the evidence suggests no acceptable quad mixes could be made for some tracks, and HARD & HEAVY didn't sell beyond modest back in '69, so there really is no incentive to release it even in stereo these days.

ED :)

The other problem is that Greatest Hits is Incomplete, not to mention the Multitrack to Ups and Downs has been missing for.... almost 50 years! Jim Reeves mixed that one and, about the album, he mentioned he a) only mixed a few songs that he liked and b) even back then they were missing session tapes. Mark Lindsay once told me via email (jokingly) that the multitrack to Ups and Downs went missing the day after they mixed it to mono. It's never appeared in stereo and likely never will.

Secondly, Hard & Heavy is also incomplete; missing the songs "Without You" and "Mr Sun, Mr Moon". Presumably, the multitracks for those DO exist, though in the case of "Mr Sun, Mr Moon" is missing some final overdubs. As much as I would love to see these albums completed and released, I won't hold my breath for Audio Fidelity to do so considering there are so many more complete and infinitely more popular Quad titles out there. Hate to say it, but these two will remain a curiosity ad infinitum.

Now, if AF reported they found complete Quad mixes for 'Alias: Pink Puzz', or 'Collage', I would buy multiple copies as I know I'd wear them out!

I think CCR can best be described as "BAYOU" or "SWAMP ROCK".I do not find it too country at all..
i think "bayou" and "swamp" just an artificial words manipulation in attempt to sell country/folk based music, to those, who hate it.
but even if i'm wrong, CCR still sounds country-ish for most part.
anyway, sadly it seems like titles, issued as a quad in past, mostly really quite outdated and won't draw much new buyers, others than handful of those who remember them and still enjoy.
for small label this maybe enough to keep itself afloat but it wouldn't help much for grows of interest to surround format on greater scale, albeit, i guess, still better than nothing at all.
:popcorn

I was reading about the CCR releases, and I notice even on the old vinyl records they are a tight mix, and from what I read, John wanted it that way. and there is a database with all of the albums released. got to discogs .com and type in creedence

Clearwater Revival then click on the album you want, then it will go down with all of the lps from all over the country, so I did that, I scrolled down and clicked on SACD and like on Comos factory the sticker did say multi channel, but the discription said that

was stereo and not multi channel, I only have one CCR the concert and the rear had echo

huggy

as I said before I have the original quadraphonic 8 track of John Lennon walls and bridges. then there is a web site quadraphonic beatle mix just goggle or yahoo that one, there is another John Lennon Imagine the SQ vinyl only in England.

Tom jones the body & soul of, and Engelbert humperdink King Of hearts I would like to see release them all on either 5.1 or 4.0 Quad mix

huggy

i think "bayou" and "swamp" just an artificial words manipulation in attempt to sell country/folk based music, to those, who hate it.
but even if i'm wrong, CCR still sounds country-ish for most part.

Hey Otto, I'm not keen on country in general (I like a very, very small amount and probably only a specific sub-genre or two) but I do like some CCR, and I'm stuggling to see the overlap. I only have Cosmo's, Poor Boys, and Green River and I'm struggling to think of those as country records. Mind you, my knowledge of country music is tiny so I'd be willing to be pointed in the direction of similar stuff that is marketed as country.

Hey Otto, I'm not keen on country in general (I like a very, very small amount and probably only a specific sub-genre or two) but I do like some CCR, and I'm stuggling to see the overlap. I only have Cosmo's, Poor Boys, and Green River and I'm struggling to think of those as country records. Mind you, my knowledge of country music is tiny so I'd be willing to be pointed in the direction of similar stuff that is marketed as country.
CCR is definitely not a prog.rock, neither hard rock or even pop rock.
i didn't said "country music". instead i said sounds too country-ish.
i like their "Pendulum" and some other tunes but are still for most tracks pretty obvious
great deal of country music influence, whatever one call this kind of genre.
actually same can be said about Eagles as well.

I would like the rest of the Guess Who albums to be released, My "Best Of" is finally on it's way, will see if it's much better than the reel tape. For me "best of" albums almost always miss the best songs. Share the Land is great Quad wise as is American Woman, I love the over the top panned effects on these releases. Canned Wheat and Wheat Field Soul are both excellent albums from start to finish. Latter albums while still good lack something the early releases have. I would settle for Best of Vol.2 to cover that latter period.
While never a big B.T.O. fan, Randy Bachman's work there is great in Quad especially the first album, all four speakers are simultaneously equally busy, quadraphonic perfection!

Since it was mentioned on an unrelated thread.... Boz Scagg's "Dig" would be a re-release to consider from the 5.1 pantheon. Nearly impossible to obtain at a moderate price, the surround mix is very good, and the licensing could probably be accomplished. Just a thought....

Since it was mentioned on an unrelated thread.... Boz Scagg's "Dig" would be a re-release to consider from the 5.1 pantheon. Nearly impossible to obtain at a moderate price, the surround mix is very good, and the licensing could probably be accomplished. Just a thought....

And I bet they could even fix the noise on Sarah if it was revisited...even without that fix it would be a great offering...I love the songs..very underrated as an album...not quite Silk Degrees..but an excellent album..

Might be even better news...it appears that Bruce Botnick only did a few of the tracks...if this is correct Paul Rothchild did most of the tracks..

What you're referring to is a Production credit, not an Engineering credit.
Paul Rothchild produced the Doors first five albums, but Bruce Botnick was the Recording and Mixing Engineer on all 6 albums, alongside being a Co-Producer on "L.A. Woman" (hence the production credit on "Love Her Madly" and "Riders on the Storm").
AFAIK, Botnick was the only Quad mixing engineer for this release.

Oh sweet! I have a conversion of this that already sounds great. Very cool mix, too. Shame that it's not as comprehensive as many of the CD compilations that came out later. Would love "When the Music's Over" and "The End" in surround, but kinda don't want to buy the 5.1 albums. :-/

Back