Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thom Cadley did a 5.1 mix of SRV's 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' for the Sony SACD that was supposed to be released 10(ish) years ago that's never seen the light of day.

I would love to hear this!

Please don't take this as doubt, but what is your source of information on that?

Lots of information about it in this thread. In a nutshell it's listed on his website as one of the things he worked on, and confirmed in that thread.

Thom Cadley did a 5.1 mix of SRV's 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' for the Sony SACD that was supposed to be released 10(ish) years ago that's never seen the light of day.

Unfortunately that one is already out on Stereo SACD from Mobile Fidelity. So a competing SACD from AF is unlikely anytime soon.

Unfortunately that one is already out on Stereo SACD from Mobile Fidelity. So a competing SACD from AF is unlikely anytime soon.

Brian, how did Analogue Productions get to do their editions so soon after Mobile Fidelity had done theirs? Wouldn't it seem that Audio Fidelity should get an opportunity to fill in this missing piece of the puzzle at some point?

The Zappa quad releases aren't strictly 'double-stereo' but the majority of the stuff is the same in the front and rear speakers with the occasional discrete element only in the front or rear (or left or right). They're not awful by any means, but surprisingly conservative given that Zappa wasn't exactly a conservative musician.

NO WAY is it double stereo. I love the mix on this, subtle but great. Definite discrete stuff going on in the back.

Larry is right. It's not double stereo. At one point I ripped the Q4 of Overnite (and the Q8 of Apostrophe) to my hard drive and the audio was clearly discrete, er discreet (!), not in a Columbia Q8 way, but discrete none the less, for both titles.

Kraftwork's "Autobahn"

- I finally got round to looking at the March edition of Record Collector magazine, and there was an article on collectable 8 Tracks, one of which was Kraftwork's "Autobahn" (Vertigo VQ 8-2003, Quad 8, 1975) .

Kraftwork's "Autobahn"

- I finally got round to looking at the March edition of Record Collector magazine, and there was an article on collectable 8 Tracks, one of which was Kraftwork's "Autobahn" (Vertigo VQ 8-2003, Quad 8, 1975) .

The Q8 transfer of Autobahn I've heard sounds pretty good (for a Q8) :eek:.

I'd go for that one....

The Q8 transfer of Autobahn I've heard sounds pretty good (for a Q8) :eek:.

I'd go for that one....

Didn't it fade out at some point and then fade back in after a track change? I never bought that one back in the day. I expected a quad reel to be released but don't know if it ever did ... maybe some lucky Ampex employees got one? A quad reel of ZZ Top Fandango should have happened too but even the stereo version of that is hard to find.

They did look in the UK.
How about Japan? A&M label had quad reels there. I wonder how tough it would be for AF to license Carpenters. Probably pretty complicated I'd guess with what's his name (the insignificant other Carpenter).

Didn't it fade out at some point and then fade back in after a track change? I never bought that one back in the day. I expected a quad reel to be released but don't know if it ever did ... maybe some lucky Ampex employees got one? A quad reel of ZZ Top Fandango should have happened too but even the stereo version of that is hard to find.

I could definitely go for some ZZ Top in 4.0, 5.0, or 5.1.

Are there any existing Mch surround mixes of their albums?

JC wasn't released in Japan as quad at all, so no point to look there for it.

The Carpenters japanese QR were done by King, that had a 27 titles series of CD4 records - mixed labels - with prefix 4D-xx that included various non-jap quad titles released maybe also on QR; some titles are known to exist, such as Carpenters N&T, but the status of the entire series as QR is unknown.

Japanese vaults would be extremely precious for Motown quad titles. Plenty of gems there that are waiting for a official digital release.
One for all, "What's going on". EXTREMELY good quad title and a killer album by itself; a sacd stereo+quad release would be sold out before it hit the street.

Back