Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other two?
AFAIK, only two JC album were released in Q8, not three.

How about Japan? A&M label had quad reels there. I wonder how tough it would be for AF to license Carpenters. Probably pretty complicated I'd guess with what's his name (the insignificant other Carpenter).

Japanese "collectors" (maybe vaults) would be a must when looking for any STEELY DAN or other MCA artist missing multi's (quad as well).

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for the A&R meeting where they decided the best name for the 4th album was 'Joe Cocker' and that it definitely wouldn't be confused with the second album called 'Joe Cocker!' :D

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for the A&R meeting where they decided the best name for the 4th album was 'Joe Cocker' and that it definitely wouldn't be confused with the second album called 'Joe Cocker!' :D

If they were smart, they would re-release the two as a double set and rename it. Or, just call it Joe Cocker(!). We wouldn't want our future generation being confused. Not that they aren't already! :confused::mad:@::yikes

The original title was going to be Something To Say. I don't know why they changed it.

Since they already did that title a few years ago, I would be surprised if they did it again. Would not be upset if they did, though. :)

My guess is no because of the AF Stereo edition. Better to do titles never reissued by AF and others.

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres would be fantastic... its a fun mix...& gets quite a few plays from me...

The only thing that holds Tres Hombres back from being a pure winner is they screwed up the channel assignment on the drums. They're in all 4 speakers, but the drums in the rear are swapped left and right compared to the front so the drums are all panned diagonally and criss crossing themselves.

I think this was a mixing error rather than a mastering/channel assignment error though, because if you swap the rear left and right channels to fix the drums, then all the guitars get criss-crossed the same way. Really unfortunate mistake that mars an otherwise excellent mix.

The quad mix of 'Introducing The 11th House With Larry Coryell' has the same problem with the criss-cross drums in all 4 speakers. I actually had to draw myself a diagram noting which instruments were in which speakers to see if there was a way to change the channel assignments so nothing was diagonally panned, but it's impossible so I concluded that it was the way they originally (mistakenly) mixed it.

I'll share this message that I just sent to AF:
Just wanted to say that I absolutely love both the Grover Washington Jr
"Winelight" and America "Homecoming" SACDs with Elliot Scheiner's 5.1
surround mixes! Thank you for resurrecting these multichannel gems and making
them available again!

I know I have said it before, but if AF could reissue some of Scheiner's
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen surround mixes (like "Kamakiriad", "Two Against
Nature" and "Everything Must Go") I would order those in a heartbeat!

Thanks again!

Beides Scheiner's R.E.M. mixes (plus "Hotel California" and "The Captain & Me", which are already available on SACD), are there any other WB/Rhino DVD-A surround mixes by Scheiner that AF could reissue?

Beides Scheiner's R.E.M. mixes (plus "Hotel California" and "The Captain & Me", which are already available on SACD), are there any other WB/Rhino DVD-A surround mixes by Scheiner that AF could reissue?

Beck - Guero
Faith Hill - Cry
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

And also not warner ,but great mixes:
Sting - Brand New Day
Toto - IV

EDIT: Of those I'd prioritise Toto.

Beck - Guero
Faith Hill - Cry
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

And also not warner ,but great mixes:
Sting - Brand New Day
Toto - IV

Faith Hill - "Cry" is a Scheiner mix?! Never knew that. Ok, that could potentially be one, but I'm not sure how much Faith Hill fits into AF's demographic. Same with the Flaming Lips.
As for the others, "Guero" and "Brand New Day" are both from Universal affiliated labels, and "Toto IV" has already been released on SACD (even though I would welcome a reissue of that one in a heartbeat), so all three titles are less likely candidates for AF to reissue I would think.

The only thing that holds Tres Hombres back from being a pure winner is they screwed up the channel assignment on the drums. They're in all 4 speakers, but the drums in the rear are swapped left and right compared to the front so the drums are all panned diagonally and criss crossing themselves.

I think this was a mixing error rather than a mastering/channel assignment error though, because if you swap the rear left and right channels to fix the drums, then all the guitars get criss-crossed the same way. Really unfortunate mistake that mars an otherwise excellent mix.

The quad mix of 'Introducing The 11th House With Larry Coryell' has the same problem with the criss-cross drums in all 4 speakers. I actually had to draw myself a diagram noting which instruments were in which speakers to see if there was a way to change the channel assignments so nothing was diagonally panned, but it's impossible so I concluded that it was the way they originally (mistakenly) mixed it.

(apart from that criss-cross drum anomaly you discovered) how's the Quad mix on that Coryell/The Eleventh House? I love that album!

Faith Hill - "Cry" is a Scheiner mix?! Never knew that. Ok, that good potentially be one, but I'm not sure how much Faith Hill fits into AF's demographic. Same with the Flaming Lips.
As for the others, "Guero" and "Brand New Day" are both from Universal affiliated labels, and "Toto IV" has already been released on SACD (even though I would welcome a reissue of that one in a heartbeat), so all three titles are likely candidates for AF to reissue I would think.

I can't see any of those old Scheiner's getting the AF treatment.. and if they did I doubt they'd do good business. I'd rather more Quad or more unreleased Scheiner stuff (Eagles? Fleetwood Mac? Doobies?) I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.. :eek:

The Nightfly's another (fab) ES mix that already got reissued on SACD like Doobies & Eagles, or I'm sure AF would've steamed in there and delivered the goods..

Back