Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a YouTube video, Mike from Phoenix(The In Groove) said he bought a bunch of reels from Ed Michel. Maybe he got some quad masters or backups?
I was selling at the Orange County record show and who comes to my table? None other than Mike from The In Groove. I was able to
ask him if any of his Ed Michel tapes look like discrete 4 channel quad tapes? He said no, he did not recall any being 4 channel discrete.
He did say Ed Michel did mix lots and lots in quad. So maybe there are some unmarked/unknown quads done by Ed. The tapes he has
are safety masters and not all in great shape since the were previously stored in Hawaii. The tapes he has would be QS encoded quads.
Those 4 channel discrete master tapes gotta be somewhere don't they?

Last edited:
I was selling at the Orange County record show and who comes to my table? None other than Mike from The In Groove. I was able to
ask him if any of his Ed Michel tapes look like discrete 4 channel quad tapes? He said no, he did not recall any being 4 channel discrete.
He did say Ed Michel did mix lots and lots in quad. So maybe there are some unmarked/unknown quads done by Ed. The tapes he has
are safety masters and not all in great shape since the were previously stored in Hawaii. The tapes he has would be QS encoded quads.
Those 4 channel discrete master tapes gotta be somewhere don't they?
I think it's most likely that the masters went to the great tape vault in the sky in the 2008 UMG vault fire, but it's certainly possible that there are safeties or personal copies elsewhere. If you (or anyone) does come across anything please do get in touch with me as I'm sure Mike Dutton would be interested.

"Kosmos" is available on a Dolby Surround CD. Played through the Surround Master, it's breathtaking. I can only imagine how much better the discrete version would be!
Kosmos is also available as a discrete quad on the Denon SACD of "Space Fantasy"+. :alien:

See... https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/tomita-sacd-and-their-quadraphonic-sources.24877/

I think the Tomita quadraphonic back catalogue is now complete?! 🏆 The D-V releases have been fantastic value and sound really great!

I think you actually need two of the Japanese SACDs to fully reconstruct Kosmos - Space Fantasy for the bulk of the tracks, and Pictures at an Exhibition Ultimate Edition for one track, The Sea Named Solaris. Given that these tracks are jumbled and spread over two discs, I think a case could be made that a straight quad reissue of Kosmos with the tracklisting faithful to the original would be a welcome development, and probably the same goes for the original quad mix of Snowflakes Are Dancing, which was released as part of that Japanese series as Clair de Lune with some added tracks and some newly-recorded parts overdubbed over the original quad mix.

Would like Tull's Aqualung 4.0 on SACD.

Talk to the people you work for and persuade them, I'm sure Mike would be more than interested. And there's a cool connection that he got his start in the industry as a tea boy at Morgan Studios when Songs from the Wood was being mixed there.

There's nothing stopping Warner Music UK from licensing albums to D-V, should they have the desire (or artist-led impetus) to do so.
Maybe, but I think they'd prefer to keep it in house and release them on Quadio discs. I could be wrong, but I'd guess there are more blu-ray equipped home theater systems than there are systems equipped for SACD playback. Quadio's Blu-Ray Audio format would make more sense.

Maybe, but I think they'd prefer to keep it in house and release them on Quadio discs. I could be wrong, but I'd guess there are more blu-ray equipped home theater systems than there are systems equipped for SACD playback. Quadio's Blu-Ray Audio format would make more sense.

Sure, but they licensed the album to Analogue Productions in the US for SACD in the last couple of years, so there's no reason they couldn't do the same in the UK.

And the secret sauce here isn't the format - the quad mix of Aqualung has already been issued twice in PCM on Blu-Ray and DTS DVD-V - it's in letting a gifted mastering engineer like Mike Dutton get his hands on it.

But it's a moot point unless Warner UK want to do it, which is why I suggested to @JohnN that he use his in's with the Tull camp to get the ball rolling. If Ian Anderson said to Warners that he wanted this to happen, I can't imagine they'd turn him down flat.

If I bought a Surround Master would it be able to decode all the SQ Quad discs that I have ????
I'm soaking in this one right now, and it sounds FABULOUS!
There Goes Rhymin' Simon.png

Back