Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard this Ormandy in Quad (looks like a live recording)... yet; however the music sounds lovely...

RCA – ARD1-0415 & Japan RCA Red Seal – R4C-2032

View attachment 108136

this might be some below...

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd absolutely buy it. There is a recording of the piece in modern surround, but it's a little hard to find: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1567

Feels like another classical archival batch from D-V is overdue...

I have no idea if they’re available, but it would be nice if a quad (or more) digital release of Rick Wakeman’s first three albums came to be. I’d snap them up yesterday.

I know he’s still active, but I really don’t understand why those haven’t been made available, AFAIK.

Surely it must be time to bust-out the Edgar Winters, the Johnny Winters, the Paul Simon solos and the Aerosmiths. Janis Joplin x2.

They were released on that SONY RA360 format which has recently been discontinued.... so....

Let's try and get some of those unreleased Quads out!!

Tanya Tuckers' Greatest Hits
Laura Nyro's "Gonna take a Miracle" or "Christmas & the beads of Sweat"
Simon & Garfunkel's "Bookends"
Donovan's "Essence to Essence"
New Riders of the Purple Sage "Home, Home on the Range" (would be a good two-fer with "Adventures of Panama Red")

Or something we certainly weren't aware of, even! C'mon D-V. Let's show the world what you got!

https://x.com/GrumpyOldRick

I guess people with an X/Twitter account (like me) could just ask Mr. Wakeman to try to help expedite the official release of the quad mixes of his albums, if the quad masters were lost [in the Universal fire?], perhaps needledrops (and an SM decoder) could be used to extract the quad mix for MCH SACDs.

Kirk Bayne

"And we can all write them"....
I've always been intrigued by the fact that in US English the prepositions used by other English speakers is dropped when using some verbs e.g. -
'write them ' rather than 'write to them'
'ride the train' rather than 'ride on the train'
'debate Trump' rather than 'debate with Trump'
Anyone know how that came about?
In George Orwell's 1984, it's referred to as Newspeak.

Big-Brother.jpg

Last edited:
https://x.com/GrumpyOldRick

I guess people with an X/Twitter account (like me) could just ask Mr. Wakeman to try to help expedite the official release of the quad mixes of his albums, if the quad masters were lost [in the Universal fire?], perhaps needledrops (and an SM decoder) could be used to extract the quad mix for MCH SACDs.

Kirk Bayne
already been done, Universal released Deluxe Editions around 10 years ago including DVD-Audio's with the Quads of the "Six Wives Of Henry VIII..", "Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round Table .." & "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth..." albums using various sources including Quad consumer tapes & LPs.

Surely it must be time to bust-out the Edgar Winters, the Johnny Winters, the Paul Simon solos and the Aerosmiths. Janis Joplin x2.

They were released on that SONY RA360 format which has recently been discontinued.... so....

Let's try and get some of those unreleased Quads out!!

Tanya Tuckers' Greatest Hits
Laura Nyro's "Gonna take a Miracle" or "Christmas & the beads of Sweat"
Simon & Garfunkel's "Bookends"
Donovan's "Essence to Essence"
New Riders of the Purple Sage "Home, Home on the Range" (would be a good two-fer with "Adventures of Panama Red")

Or something we certainly weren't aware of, even! C'mon D-V. Let's show the world what you got!
if the likes of Edgar & Johnny Winter, Paul Simon, Aerosmith and Janis Joplin were available to DV, i'm sure they'd have released them already? 🙏👀

in me eyes they've nothing left to prove at this point; Earth Wind & Fire (2 Quads), The Isley Brothers (all 5 Quads), The O'Jays (all 5 Quads), Billy Paul (all 3 Quads), Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes (both Quads), MFSB, Rick Derringer (both Quads), Deodato (both Quads), Art Garfunkel (both Quads), Hues Corporation (both Quads), Tower Of Power, The Miracles, Paul Revere & The Raiders (2 Quads including previously unreleased), The Guess Who, Burton Cummings, Chase (both Quads), Blood Sweat & Tears (2 Quads), Henry Mancini, Pure Prairie League (both Quads), Tomita (all remaining Quads released), Charlie Rich, Poco, Johnnie Taylor (both Quads), Weather Report, Return To Forever, Donald Byrd, Azteca, Ted Nugent, Argent, Lynn Anderson, Ronnie Milsap, Buddy Miles, Mac Davis (all Quads), Doc Severinsen, George Benson, Herbie Hancock, Percy Faith, Ray Conniff, Kris Kristofferson (all Quads), REO Speedwagon (both Quads), Hugo Montenegro, George Benson, Airto, Mott The Hoople, Dottie West, Jimmy Castor Bunch, Santana & Alice Coltrane, The Main Ingredient, Don Sebesky, The Friends Of Distinction, Cecil Holmes, Danny Davis, Perry Como, Chet Atkins, Paul Mauriat, B.W. Stevenson, Ray Davies & The Button Down Brass, Swingle Singers, Floyd Cramer, Michel Legrand, Grover Washington Jr., Bachman Turner Overdrive.. and that's without mentioning all the Classical Quads, Musicals, Soundtracks, etc.! 🤯😍

their track record of releases the last 8 years is to me staggering in its breadth and quality. whatever else we get from DV going forward is scrummy icing on a delicious cake! 😋

meantime, i'd love for them to do Tanya Tucker's Hits, New Riders Of The Purple Sage & Laura Nyro.. plus Wild Cherry's "Electrified Funk", B.T. Express' "Energy To Burn", The Manhattans "It Feels So Good", Dave Mason's 3 Quads, the other MFSB Quad, Maynard Ferguson's "Conquistador", Dan Fogelberg's "Captured Angel", The Best Of Mountain & "Avalanche", the remaining Blue Öyster Cult Quad "Tyranny & Mutation", the numerous José Feliciano & Charley Pride Quads.. the list goes on!! 😅

Speaking of Gamble/Huff, does anyone know if The Intruders album, Save The Children album got a Quad release back in 1973? I think "Save The Children," "I Wanna Know Your Name," and the classic "I'll Always Love My Momma" would sound amazing in multichannel.

"And we can all write them"....
I've always been intrigued by the fact that in US English the prepositions used by other English speakers is dropped when using some verbs e.g. -
'write them ' rather than 'write to them'
'ride the train' rather than 'ride on the train'
'debate Trump' rather than 'debate with Trump'
Anyone know how that came about?
I read an article (maybe it was in National Geographic magazine, but maybe not) that tols about how Noah Webster, by writing his dictionary (with the help of several prisoners) defined (no pun intended) how American English and British English would be different. That definitely was where we dropped the “u” in “colour” and made “defence” become “defense.”

Two great peoples, separated by a common language.

Speaking of Gamble/Huff, does anyone know if The Intruders album, Save The Children album got a Quad release back in 1973? I think "Save The Children," "I Wanna Know Your Name," and the classic "I'll Always Love My Momma" would sound amazing in multichannel.

The only PIR artists that were mixed in quad were The O'Jays, Bill Paul, MFSB and Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes. I agree that Intruders album is great, and would sound great in quad, but it only made it to #12 in the R&B charts, whereas The O'Jays Ship Ahoy and MFSB's Love is the Message were both #1 albums on that chart. I think because PIR was a smaller label (even though they had CBS's distribution behind them) they couldn't afford to remix anything they wanted to the way that Columbia or other bigger labels did.

I've spoken to Arthur Stoppe, who was the main quad engineer at Sigma Sound where most of these remixes were done, and one of the things I did was interrogated him about the existence of any possible unreleased quad mixes, because I was surprised things like the O'Jays Back Stabbers and Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes Miss You were never done in quad, for example. He said that quad mixing was an expensive process, and while all the PIR albums were done at Sigma, the studio and the label were two separate companies so there were no "deals" or anything, if engineers did work they billed for their hours. It wasn't like CBS where they had staff engineers (like Don Young and Larry Keyes) mpaid by the label, so if there was downtime or nothing to do they could work on a quad mix.

So yeah, sadly there are no more PIR quad mixes than what was released, and none of their "second tier" acts like the Intruders, or Archie Bell & The Drells, Dexter Wansel, The Jones Girls or anyone else had quad mixes done.

I just got in an old CBS/SONY SQ LP in, that has a full page SQ quadraphonic insert in it, with the unreleased SQ title of "Edgar Winter's White Trash" on it- #ECPN-63003 (along with others that actually were released.)

Any chance Dutton could get ahold of that one?

https://www.discogs.com/master/92710-Edgar-Winters-White-Trash-Edgar-Winters-White-Trash

I actually did a thread about this some years back:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sh-actually-prepared-for-japan-release.23538/

I have mentioned this to Mike so he is aware of it, along with the other Edgar Winter (Group) quads, both the released ones and the possible unreleased ones like Roadwork. I'm sure he would/will do them if all the stars align with licensing and tape availability.

I actually did a thread about this some years back:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sh-actually-prepared-for-japan-release.23538/

I have mentioned this to Mike so he is aware of it, along with the other Edgar Winter (Group) quads, both the released ones and the possible unreleased ones like Roadwork. I'm sure he would/will do them if all the stars align with licensing and tape availability.
Pupster, Steelydave, and most importantly Michael Dutton, wow - if the 1st Edgar Winter's White Trash effort was a Dutton Vocalion quad release, that would be beyond incredible. With the horns and Edgar and (the late) Jerry LaCroix trading off vocals on some songs, I imagine it would be pretty impressive!

Pupster, Steelydave, and most importantly Michael Dutton, wow - if the 1st Edgar Winter's White Trash effort was a Dutton Vocalion quad release, that would be beyond incredible. With the horns and Edgar and (the late) Jerry LaCroix trading off vocals on some songs, I imagine it would be pretty impressive!
I owned that one on LP way way back, and it had none of the platinum glitter synthesizer / lead guitar excitement I associate with Edgar Winter. Not a terrible record, but still I pray to baby Jesus that it is one of the "Edgar Winter Group" albums when a quad disc finally appears... if it ever does. I think everyone knows it's the big hit album and the follow up as mixed and released in quad that we want.

I surly hope we don't get Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis instead.

Last edited:
I owned that one on LP way way back, and it had none of the platinum glitter synthesizer / lead guitar excitement I associate with Edgar Winter. Not a terrible record, but still I pray to baby Jesus that it is one of the "Edgar Winter Group" albums when a quad disc finally appears... if it ever does. I think everyone knows it's the big hit album and the follow up as mixed and released in quad that we want.

I surly hope we don't get Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis instead.
Understood. While the 2 groups were great examples of very different musical genres, I have a real appreciation for both. Edgar Winter and his bands' efforts released by Dutton Vocalion in quad? Yes, please! "Keep playin' that rock n' roll" indeed (to quote a cut off of Edgar Winter's White Trash.)

Last edited:
Back