Tears for fears announcement - Songs for a Nervous Planet (live) SDE Blu-Ray with SW Atmos Mix Oct 25th, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They must still be having issues with the shipping, as mine didn't ship yet.
Considering Nov 1st bank holiday, I don't think I'll get it before the 4th, and that being lucky.
A bit frustrated this time, TBH.

Well, I saw the movie last night at what seemed to be a nice theater in Columbus, OH.
(Never been to it before so can't speak to its quality other than they serve Guinness!)
I was at the concert that this film is composed from. Gotta say I was not jumping for joy about a lot of the movie.
The credits at the end of the film say it was mixed by (guitarist) Charlton Pettus.
There is also a credit for someone I didn't remember the name of but I am assuming she didn't handle the music based on the credit.
No mention of anyone else. (Though I didn't stay for the music videos of the 4 new songs...)
At best I would call the sound OK. But not TFF quality.
As expected, there were a lot of vocal overdubs. This unfortunately causes several things to happen.
Outside of the distracting lip sync issues, (often unavoidable and not noticed by those who don't pay attention to such things) there is a real lack of energy from the audience in this film. As I said, I was there. The crowd was singing along and very loud throughout, and not in a bad way. That energy is totally missing. Some of this might be caused by the overdubs clashing with the vocals coming in through the audience mics. But there are spots where Roland points his mic into the crowd and we still can't hear them. Not good!
The music mix was also really messed up in the theater. I was sitting dead center and anything that wasn't coming from the screen (LCR) was way off. It made me wonder if the system was not set up right.
Anyhow... gotta say I'm just going to rely on my memory of the show itself going forward. The source material (the studio albums) are such a joy to listen to that I don't feel the need to revisit this again. Your mileage may vary.

Back