The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brock Purdy. I don't know if anyone had mentioned it earlier...they probably did and I just missed it...but I was really impressed with his second half performance. The kid's got moxie. He made so many key plays and always looked like he was in total control of the situation. Mr. Irrelevant? Bullshit.
Yes, he played well. An interesting comparison of him & Goff. The 1st overall pick & the last overall pick.
No name guys with talent, like Purdy, are out there.
I like the story about Shanahan talking with Brian Greise to evaluate all the college qbs 'cause they may take a flyer on 1 with the last draft pick...
Greise saw something. SF took a chance,........ the rest is history!

We were standing around a podium at a suburban Miami hotel four years ago — maybe seven or eight of us left — listening to Patrick Mahomes explain how it is he plays quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs.

His dad was a big league pitcher. All the family friends were big league players. He grew up around clubhouses, taking ground balls, making throws from shortstop, hitting off the batting tees: It was all baseball all the time.

And then he started playing quarterback, differently than others played quarterback, using all the skills he had picked up playing shortstop and doing infield drills, throwing from angles others hadn’t seen before, seeing things that others didn’t seem to see.
Mahomes is only 28 years old and he is the greatest quarterback I’ve ever seen.
You can have Tom Brady and all his championships. You can have Joe Montana and his brilliant Super Bowl performances. You can have the statistics or the accuracy of Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning or Dan Marino. You can have the blood and guts of Brett Favre or Drew Brees. You can have be the athletic adonis that John Elway was or be the precision surgeon Johnny Unitas happened to be.
You can have all of that.

I’ll take Mahomes, the shortstop playing quarterback like no one has ever played before. He throws overhand when he needs to or has to. He throws sidearm, like he went deep in the hole and had to make the throw to second base. He throws underhand if need be, like he was starting an easy double play. And what he didn’t get from baseball — was football vision. Which is always and often what separates the absolute elite athletes of any sport.
Who had better vision that Wayne Gretzky or Steve Nash? Who had better vision and timing than Montana? Who has better vision now than Steph Curry, still, or LeBron James forever. This is why Nikita Kucherov leads the NHL in scoring and among the many reasons why Connor McDavid will challenge in the second half of the season for the scoring championship.
Mahomes sees what others cannot see. He doesn’t run the way Lamar Jackson or Justin Fields happen to run. Few can. But he has Ben Roethlisberger instincts at a higher level than Roethlisberger ever played. He slides like no one slides in the pocket. He finds openings that few are able to find.

He doesn’t need a Joe Burrow arm to bring the Chiefs back to the Super Bowl again — for the fourth time in five seasons — he just needs to be himself.
The quarterback he talked to us about being five years and two Super Bowl wins ago has grown up at a rather young age. Every year he does something he didn’t do the year before. Every year he finds another way to throw, another angle, another baseball play of some kind, to do differently. He doesn’t have the explosive offence with Tyreek Hill anymore. He has receivers who dropped too many passes this season. He had a beaten up Travis Kelce for a lot of the season, before he was equally brilliant — what a team they are — in the AFC title game on Sunday.

But it all starts with Mahomes and coach Andy Reid, the perfect combination of quarterback and head coach, if any combination in any sport is ever perfect. Reid has absolute understanding of what Mahomes can do — and when he can do it — and Mahomes responds with his remarkable talent and charm.
He doesn’t throw interceptions in big games and big moments. He takes fewer sacks than almost anyone who plays the game, and that’s lining up behind a wonky offensive line. The pass he threw Sunday to Marquez Valdes-Scantling — a basketball version of an alley oop deep downfield — was a pass that almost fell from the sky, softly into the receiver’s hands. Who else can do that?

I’ve had a fortunate view of Super Bowls up close over the years. The first Super Bowl I covered, sitting next to the late Jim Hunt, had Montana playing against Elway.
After that I got to chronicle wins by Brady, wins by Troy Aikman, a win by Rodgers and Manning and somehow wins by the other brother, Eli Manning. I had the opportunity to write about the joy of victories by Steve Young and Kurt Warner and two wins and two losses by Elway, and even the strange triumph of Joe Flacco over Colin Kaepernick.
I once thought Montana was the best big game quarterback I’d ever seen. And he was exceptional. And I once thought, like so many think now, that Brady is the greatest ever because of his array of championships. And I thought nobody could do what Rodgers could do, or throw the way Marino threw.

Opinions and thoughts change over time just as games and sports do. The Chiefs went into Buffalo one Sunday ago and into Baltimore, against the toughest defence in football, and Mahomes didn’t need a cape to be Superman. He was just himself. That was Superman enough to get him to his fourth Super Bowl in five seasons.
Patrick Mahomes. The greatest to ever play.
[email protected]
twitter.com/simmonssteve

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/simmons-you-can-have-tom-brady-ill-take-patrick-mahomes
IMHO Best QB's Ever
1. Joe Montana (4-0 SB record, 3 MVPs)
2. Terry Bradshaw (4-0 SB record, 2 MVPs)
3. Tom Brady (7-3 SB record, 5 MVPs)
4. Johnny Unitas 3 time champion
5. Pat Mahomes (2-1 SB record, 2 MVPs)
And the Chief's being the "home" team will wear red. SF will wear white. Not sure what all this means but I guess Ricky can explain.

IMHO Best QB's Ever
1. Joe Montana (4-0 SB record, 3 MVPs)
2. Terry Bradshaw (4-0 SB record, 2 MVPs)
3. Tom Brady (7-3 SB record, 5 MVPs)
4. Johnny Unitas 3 time champion
5. Pat Mahomes (2-1 SB record, 2 MVPs)
Nice list and topic for the SB off week. I would have added Dan Marino as a tie for one of those positions. Frankly, if these QBs were in the same draft class, and there were four teams drafting ahead of me, I'd be very happy to get the remaining fifth pick. (This, of course, is from a Jets fan whose team either drafts duds or trades for QBs who get injured.)

I do often wonder how Bradshaw would have fared without the Steel Curtain on defense. Possibly one of those guys who would have stepped up more if he had to do so. Marino had poor defenses around him at Miami. It seemed like those Dolphin teams had to score every time they got the ball in order to win.

Last edited:
Nice list and topic for the SB off week. I would have added Dan Marino as a tie for one of those positions. Frankly, if these QBs were in the same draft class, and there were four teams drafting ahead of me, I'd be very happy to get the remaining fifth pick. (This, of course, is from a Jets fan whose team either drafts duds or trades for QBs who get injured.)

I do often wonder how Bradshaw would have fared without the Steel Curtain on defense. Possibly one of those guys who would have stepped up more if he had to do so. Marino had poor defenses around him at Miami. It seemed like those Dolphin teams had to score every time they got the ball in order to win.
Bradshaw also had the late Mike Webster on the O line.

Small fact: 16 of the last 19 Super Bowls, team wearing white uni's won the 16 or the 19.
I only have one white jersey, but has Jimmy G. on it. Got to get my white t-Shirt ready.
BTW: I AM staying at home, the prices to see the Super Bowl in person are ridiculous. The Niners organization is offering 3 night packages, no airfare, averaging around 25K for two.
Local news shows many Niner fans going with no ticket, hoping hours before game time there will be price drops.
Now nosebleeds are $6500.00 one ticket, 5 rows up at the 50, $28,000.00, one fucking ticket, just absurd.
Hotels are averaging 1500-2000 a night, lines everywhere. Food, reservations all booked.
I told my wife, lets fly out Sunday morning, see game, fly out Monday morning and sleep in airport Sunday night, yeah, I'm stupid, that's a no go.
Bottom line, I ain't going.
I have been a season ticket holder for 7 of our 8 Super Bowl trips and never picked by the season ticket lottery.

Small fact: 16 of the last 19 Super Bowls, team wearing white uni's won the 16 or the 19.
I only have one white jersey, but has Jimmy G. on it. Got to get my white t-Shirt ready.
BTW: I AM staying at home, the prices to see the Super Bowl in person are ridiculous. The Niners organization is offering 3 night packages, no airfare, averaging around 25K for two.
Local news shows many Niner fans going with no ticket, hoping hours before game time there will be price drops.
Now nosebleeds are $6500.00 one ticket, 5 rows up at the 50, $28,000.00, one fucking ticket, just absurd.
Hotels are averaging 1500-2000 a night, lines everywhere. Food, reservations all booked.
I told my wife, lets fly out Sunday morning, see game, fly out Monday morning and sleep in airport Sunday night, yeah, I'm stupid, that's a no go.
Bottom line, I ain't going.
I have been a season ticket holder for 7 of our 8 Super Bowl trips and never picked by the season ticket lottery.
It's a shame that the people that support the NFL by buying tickets to, and attending the regular season games, get priced out of the Championship and SB games. What's worse is many of the tickets go to those that attend just because it's a high profile event. They may not even care that much about football, but it's "THE place to be".

This is nothing new, it happens at all major events. Just saying it proves the old adage that "life is not fair".

BTW, just googled; the face value of SB tickets is between $700 and $1800. Expensive for sure but within reach of the majority of fans if they wanted to splurge. Of course good luck getting one at face value.

Expensive for sure but within reach of the majority of fans if they wanted to splurge. Of course good luck getting one at face value.
You got that right.
I went to the Steve Young Super Bowl at was then the new Joe Robbie Stadium.
Of course the Chargers where no match, a wipe out.
But I remember sitting there thinking this game sucks, the crowd is so boring, I felt like I was the only one yelling.
I have been to many NFC Championship games and they are off the hook great, because the fans, both sides of the ball, our lives depend on our team for 3 hours.

What's worse is many of the tickets go to those that attend just because it's a high profile event. They may not even care that much about football, but it's "THE place to be".
And many of them have no bloody idea what’s going on, who the players are, what the rules are etc. No doubt there will be a bunch of celebrities in attendance who are true fans of the game, and good for them.

You got that right.
But I remember sitting there thinking this game sucks, the crowd is so boring, I felt like I was the only one yelling.
I have been to many NFC Championship games and they are off the hook great, because the fans, both sides of the ball, our lives depend on our team for 3 hours.
Sorry that you are not going to the game, Mark. But the costs that you quoted are truly absurd, no doubt inflated by the popularity of both teams and the ‘celebrity factor’ such as TS.

My biggest question however is, will Jake from State Farm be there? 🍻

You got that right.
Actually, watching the Ravens championship game last weekend (on TV), I didn't think it was as loud as the previous week's game against Houston. I asked a good friend of mine that went to the game if he thought the same thing. He said it was absolutely less noise, right from the start of the game. Now you could attribute that to the less than stellar playing by the Ravens as the game wore on, but not at the start. My friend said that he could tell the wine and cheese crowd was filling the stands. The usual beer and hotdog fans were not there. He said the usual drunken rowdiness was nowhere to be found.

I like this list a lot.
And I couldn't stand Tom Brady.

But......
I had no use for Brady either because he usually mauled the Jets. (Although Rex did beat him once in the divisional round…only to fall to that SOB Big Ben.) But there were several times I rooted for Brady. The first was when he won the SB against The Greatest Show With Turftoe. And the the last couple of SBs because old people…we gotta stick together.

Actually, watching the Ravens championship game last weekend (on TV), I didn't think it was as loud as the previous week's game against Houston. I asked a good friend of mine that went to the game if he thought the same thing. He said it was absolutely less noise, right from the start of the game. Now you could attribute that to the less than stellar playing by the Ravens as the game wore on, but not at the start. My friend said that he could tell the wine and cheese crowd was filling the stands. The usual beer and hotdog fans were not there. He said the usual drunken rowdiness was nowhere to be found.
I love drunken rowdiness

Scott Norwood
Tell us: is it you who are here for our good cheer?
Or are we here for the glory, for the story, for the gory satisfaction
of telling you how absolutely awful the Jets really are?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-13028579/Jets-Aaron-Rodgers-Robert-Saleh-mess.html

Jets' Struggles After Aaron Rodgers Injury Ripped by NY Coach: 'Such a F--king Mess'​

Adam WellsJanuary 31, 2024

FOXBOROUGH, MA - JANUARY 7: Aaron Rodgers #8 of the New York Jets runs onto the field prior to the start of the game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on January 7, 2024 in Foxborough, Massachusetts. (Photo by Kathryn Riley/Getty Images)

Kathryn Riley/Getty Images
The criticisms of the New York Jets for how they handled things in the wake of Aaron Rodgers' season-ending injury weren't limited to people outside the organization.
Per The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt and Dianna Russini, one Jets coach described the situation as "such a f--king mess" behind the scenes and said "something has to change."
Among the many issues for the Jets during the 2023 season detailed in the report are "a paranoid head coach, an ill-equipped offensive coordinator and an organizational tunnel vision on the quarterback that rubbed some teammates wrong."
One AFC general manager described Joe Douglas as the "assistant GM" with Rodgers perceived as the person in charge of the personnel decisions.

Nathaniel Hackett, who was Green Bay's offensive coordinator from 2019 to '21, was hired for the same role by the Jets coming off a disastrous turn as head coach for the Denver Broncos in 2022.
Rosenblatt and Russini noted Hackett was Rodgers' "hand-picked offensive coordinator" and the dynamic between the two is described as "more frat brothers than player/coach," but Hackett's attention to detail on the field was "lacking."
"For most of the season, Hackett would meet with offensive line coach/running game coordinator Keith Carter and passing game coordinator Todd Downing during the week but wouldn't get together with the rest of the offensive staff until the 'last minute' of game prep," Rosenblatt and Russini wrote.
Head coach Robert Saleh was said to be unhappy that the New York Giants "don't get as much negative coverage as the Jets, calling it unfair."
Team owner Woody Johnson has a reputation within the building of "consuming criticism from fans and media alike" on social media and would "often [share] those opinions with Saleh in conversations about what wasn't working on offense."

The Jets' hopes this season were almost immediately dashed. Rodgers suffered a torn Achilles on their fourth offensive play in a Week 1 win over the Buffalo Bills. He often talked about wanting to return this season, but he was eventually shut down when the team fell out of playoff contention.
Despite all of the turmoil reportedly happening behind the scenes, the Jets are running it back with Saleh and Douglas in 2024.
Rodgers will once again be the key to what their ceiling is, though he's 40 years old and coming off a serious injury.
As long as the Jets have a better plan than simply hoping Rodgers will be the one to save them, their defense has proved it is more than capable of keeping this team competitive in a lot of games.

Last edited:
Back