The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bart Starr, Vince Lombardi and their Packers were gods here in New Jersey. Vince Lombardi was a high school head coach at St Cecelia’s in Englewood, NJ, winning six state championships. The team was once named the best high school football team in the nation.

It was constantly “the Packers this” and “Starr that“ and “Lombardi, Lombardi, Lombardi.” So much so that the geographically challenged would have thought that Green Bay was a city somewhere on the Jersey shore.

For me, school lunchtime football season discussions were about the Packers. Not one of the kids seemed to give a hoot about the Giants. To this day, there are still old timers here who chant “The Pack is back” every time they make a move up in the football standings.
Not everybody gets a rest stop on The Jersey Turnpike named after them!
Though Jon Bon Jovi has one on The Parkway…

Not everybody gets a rest stop on The Jersey Turnpike named after them!
Though Jon Bon Jovi has one on The Parkway…
Yes, The Vince Lombardi Service Area is in Green Bay, NJ. :cautious:

Springsteen doesn’t have a service area named after him because he “respectfully declined” when asked.

But Dan Quinn doesn’t have one because he took a job with the Cowgirls. Right Ricky @cbmmm3 ? :ROFLMAO:

Nipplegate!
Oh how we all remember that halftime show. I was talking to a GE saleswoman while we were watching the game at a SB party. The wardrobe malfunction occurred. It must have taken about 5 to 10 seconds for us to absorb what we were seeing. She said, "Was that a boob?" I replied, "I think it was fake." So there you have it, I thought Janet Jackson's boob was a fake prop. It was at that moment that I obviously missed my calling for a career in peddling 'alternative facts.'

Usher, Swift, Jackson...Fuhgeddaboud them! If you've got short of 15 mins to spare, re-watch the absolute best Super Bowl half time show ever:

There is no such thing.
The half time show is an abomination and a scar on the game itself.
The half time at the SB should be the same as the half time during the rest of the season. I haven't watched a half time show in 20+ years.
The whole ordeal irks me. Immensely.

There is no such thing.
The half time show is an abomination and a scar on the game itself.
The half time at the SB should be the same as the half time during the rest of the season. I haven't watched a half time show in 20+ years.
The whole ordeal irks me. Immensely.
I respectfully disagree. The Prince and U2 halftime shows were spectacular. Besides, you can always spend that time to replenish your snacks and answer nature’s call.

BTW, Aretha singing the national anthem in her home town of Detroit on Thanksgiving Day set a high bar that I can’t imagine ever being equaled.

I respectfully disagree. The Prince and U2 halftime shows were spectacular. Besides, you can always spend that time to replenish your snacks and answer nature’s call.

BTW, Aretha singing the national anthem in her home town of Detroit on Thanksgiving Day set a high bar that I can’t imagine ever being equaled.
Fine.
Then make the half time the same length during the regular season and I'll agree.

The half time show is just there to pull in people that aren't football fans. F them.

Fine.
Then make the half time the same length during the regular season and I'll agree.

The half time show is just there to pull in people that aren't football fans. F them.
The commercials annoy me even more so, not because they are bad but because they are way too good. So I find myself trying to hold off visiting the bathroom until halftime. But I’m an old fart and can’t last that long, so Mrs Surround yells, “I can’t believe what you’re missing in this commercial.”

She, on the other hand takes care of business during play and watches the halftime show in its entirety.

So yes Bill, that show (and the commercials) are there to pull in the non-fans. I refuse to have any more SB parties with non-fans as they disrupt the game with their lack of interest. :cool:

The commercials annoy me even more so, not because they are bad but because they are way too good. So I find myself trying to hold off visiting the bathroom until halftime. But I’m an old fart and can’t last that long, so Mrs Surround yells, “I can’t believe what you’re missing in this commercial.”

She, on the other hand takes care of business during play and watches the halftime show in its entirety.

So yes Bill, that show (and the commercials) are there to pull in the non-fans. I refuse to have any more SB parties with non-fans as they disrupt the game with their lack of interest. :cool:
Agree that the commercials are a step up from the usual dreck. However you can watch them all online after the game if you miss one. So, by all means, PEE!!!!
Furthermore you will probably see a lot of them repeatedly over the next couple of months until you are sick of them.

So, by all means, PEE!!!!

And I agree, watching with non-fans is a distraction that lessens the ability of true fans to watch the game as intently as they want to.

:ROFLMAO: Be kind to a Jets fan day. Like Groundhog day, eh.
Saw Johnny Scarecrow make his rounds
in his jet-black mac (which he won't give back)
stole it from a snow man.

Revealing the No. 1 Most Influential Team in NFL History: A Countdown From 50​

Our ranking concludes with some of football’s biggest dynasties yet, a pivotal championship game and a shocking upset pulled off by a legendary quarterback.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/02/reveal-most-influential-teams-history-no-1-namath-colts-game
2024_nflgreatteamslo-1-copy.webp

1. 1968 New York Jets​

Record: 11–3, Super Bowl III champions​

Coach: Weeb Ewbank
Hall of Famers: Weeb Ewbank, Joe Namath (QB), Don Maynard (WR), Winston Hill (OT)

Namath is best remembered for his role in the Jets’ upset of the Colts.
Neil Leifer/Sports Illustrated

Why they mattered:​

In 1965, Alabama quarterback Joe Namath was selected with the No. 1 pick in the AFL draft and the No. 12 selection in the NFL draft, spurning the NFL for the riches of Sonny Werblin’s Jets, taking an eye-popping $427,000 contract.
In his fourth year with New York, Namath and a ferocious defense led the Jets to an AFL title and were 18-point underdogs to the one-loss Colts in Super Bowl III. To the shock of almost everyone—except Namath, who guaranteed they’d win the game—they won, 16–7, giving the upstart league its first victory in three tries over the established NFL.
While the 1970 AFL-NFL merger had already been agreed upon, the Jets’ victory is the most important in pro football history. The Jets showed the AFL was on par, something hammered home the following year by the ’69 Chiefs, who pummeled the Vikings—13-point favorites—in Super Bowl IV. Instead of the merger being seen as a necessary business decision that could hurt the sport from a competition standpoint, it established the AFL’s superiority over the best the NFL had to offer for the second consecutive year.
Moreover, the upset in Super Bowl III sparked additional interest in the AFL and the merger, giving a boost to a sport that was taking over the country by the late 1960s.

Panel quote:​

“People remember the shocking upset, and the Jets getting five turnovers on the way to a 16–7 Super Bowl win, but they tend to forget the epic AFL championship game won by New York in a windy Shea Stadium over the Oakland Raiders. It was a rematch of the bonkers ‘Heidi Game’ played in mid-November in Oakland. The Raiders outgained the Jets in that AFL title game but had to settle for three short field goals (nine, 20 and 26 yards). The rest was up to Namath, his guarantee and the hubris of the Colts, who acted like they’d already won the game.”—Michael MacCambridge, NFL historian, best-selling author

Team quote:​

“The goal is to win a championship on any level. I remember being in the training room and Sal Marchiano asked me about it and I just had three words, man, ‘We did it.’ We did it. … Our rings say world champion. We did it. Those dreams, since you were a child, since junior high ball, high school ball, college ball, to win a championship at the top level. Wow. We did it. That’s the way I felt then and now. I still get goosebumps talking about it. It was great.” —Joe Namath, Jets quarterback, 1965–76
01_nfl_1968_jets-1.webp

Namath is best remembered for his role in the Jets’ upset of the Colts. Neil Leifer/Sports Illustrated

Back