The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO Best QB's Ever
1. Joe Montana (4-0 SB record, 3 MVPs)
2. Terry Bradshaw (4-0 SB record, 2 MVPs)
3. Tom Brady (7-3 SB record, 5 MVPs)
4. Johnny Unitas 3 time champion
5. Pat Mahomes (2-1 SB record, 2 MVPs)
Steve Simmons makes a very compelling argument(and I don’t just say that because we share the same last name), however, it won’t be until his NFL career is over that Mahomes will vie for the title of GOAT.

And let me ask you this: how do you top 7 SB wins with 2 different teams, a SB win beyond the age of 40, an undefeated regular season, and a SB comeback after being down 28-3 in the third quarter? I’m not saying that Mahomes can’t do these things but, so far, he hasn’t.

Tell us: is it you who are here for our good cheer?
Or are we here for the glory, for the story, for the gory satisfaction
of telling you how absolutely awful the Jets really are?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-13028579/Jets-Aaron-Rodgers-Robert-Saleh-mess.html

Jets' Struggles After Aaron Rodgers Injury Ripped by NY Coach: 'Such a F--king Mess'​

Adam WellsJanuary 31, 2024

FOXBOROUGH, MA - JANUARY 7: Aaron Rodgers #8 of the New York Jets runs onto the field prior to the start of the game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on January 7, 2024 in Foxborough, Massachusetts. (Photo by Kathryn Riley/Getty Images)

Kathryn Riley/Getty Images
The criticisms of the New York Jets for how they handled things in the wake of Aaron Rodgers' season-ending injury weren't limited to people outside the organization.
Per The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt and Dianna Russini, one Jets coach described the situation as "such a f--king mess" behind the scenes and said "something has to change."
Among the many issues for the Jets during the 2023 season detailed in the report are "a paranoid head coach, an ill-equipped offensive coordinator and an organizational tunnel vision on the quarterback that rubbed some teammates wrong."
One AFC general manager described Joe Douglas as the "assistant GM" with Rodgers perceived as the person in charge of the personnel decisions.

Nathaniel Hackett, who was Green Bay's offensive coordinator from 2019 to '21, was hired for the same role by the Jets coming off a disastrous turn as head coach for the Denver Broncos in 2022.
Rosenblatt and Russini noted Hackett was Rodgers' "hand-picked offensive coordinator" and the dynamic between the two is described as "more frat brothers than player/coach," but Hackett's attention to detail on the field was "lacking."
"For most of the season, Hackett would meet with offensive line coach/running game coordinator Keith Carter and passing game coordinator Todd Downing during the week but wouldn't get together with the rest of the offensive staff until the 'last minute' of game prep," Rosenblatt and Russini wrote.
Head coach Robert Saleh was said to be unhappy that the New York Giants "don't get as much negative coverage as the Jets, calling it unfair."
Team owner Woody Johnson has a reputation within the building of "consuming criticism from fans and media alike" on social media and would "often [share] those opinions with Saleh in conversations about what wasn't working on offense."

The Jets' hopes this season were almost immediately dashed. Rodgers suffered a torn Achilles on their fourth offensive play in a Week 1 win over the Buffalo Bills. He often talked about wanting to return this season, but he was eventually shut down when the team fell out of playoff contention.
Despite all of the turmoil reportedly happening behind the scenes, the Jets are running it back with Saleh and Douglas in 2024.
Rodgers will once again be the key to what their ceiling is, though he's 40 years old and coming off a serious injury.
As long as the Jets have a better plan than simply hoping Rodgers will be the one to save them, their defense has proved it is more than capable of keeping this team competitive in a lot of games.
Rodgers pretty much did the same thing in GB. He wanted input in the personnel decisions,etc.
SGRS. - ' Smartest Guy in the Room Syndrome'....
If he could host Jeopardy, then he surely could advise 'lesser folks' how to run a football team!
....... just wondering, how did that work out in GB & then in NY?🤔

Last edited:
Rodgers pretty much did the same thing in GB. He wanted in put in the personnel decisions,etc.
SGRS. - ' Smartest Guy in the Room Syndrome'....
If he could host Jeopardy, then he was sure he could advise lesser folks how to run an NFL team!
.......It just wondering?.. How did that work out in GB & then in NY?🤔
Likewise, Belichick appears to have talked himself out of a job for 2024 by demanding coaching and GM duties.

Marino had poor defenses around him at Miami. It seemed like those Dolphin teams had to score every time they got the ball in order to win.

I think Jim Kelly should be on the list, especially if Bradshaw is and there is consideration for Marino to ever make it. The fact is, for much of Kelly's time in Buffalo, he had the latitude to fully override the OCs "suggested" plays. He fully controlled the offence when he was on the field. And often at a no huddle pace. The difference between the 4 SB Bradshaw wins and the 4 SB Kelly losses is the Steel Curtain, not a better QB.

Relive the Glory.

I think Jim Kelly should be on the list, especially if Bradshaw is and there is consideration for Marino to ever make it. The fact is, for much of Kelly's time in Buffalo, he had the latitude to fully override the OCs "suggested" plays. He fully controlled the offence when he was on the field. And often at a no huddle pace. The difference between the 4 SB Bradshaw wins and the 4 SB Kelly losses is the Steel Curtain, not a better QB.

Relive the Glory.

You have to wonder where Jim Kelly and Marv Levy would stand if it wasn't for the "Wide Right Syndrome." It seems to me that, other than the Giants, Kelly's Bills teams ran into an NFC buzz saw in the SB that simply had a dominant year. Those teams being the Redskins and Cowboys.

You have to wonder where Jim Kelly and Marv Levy would stand if it wasn't for the "Wide Right Syndrome." It seems to me that, other than the Giants, Kelly's Bills teams ran into an NFC buzz saw in the SB that simply had a dominant year. Those teams being the Redskins and Cowboys.
Yep. Agreed.

You can only imagine that Bills offence combined with the Steelers D. They would have beaten all of those NFC teams. I mean sure, the Bills had Bruce Smith and a few other D semi-stars, but the Steel Curtain D was the real real.

Small fact: 16 of the last 19 Super Bowls, team wearing white uni's won the 16 or the 19.
I only have one white jersey, but has Jimmy G. on it. Got to get my white t-Shirt ready.
BTW: I AM staying at home, the prices to see the Super Bowl in person are ridiculous. The Niners organization is offering 3 night packages, no airfare, averaging around 25K for two.
Local news shows many Niner fans going with no ticket, hoping hours before game time there will be price drops.
Now nosebleeds are $6500.00 one ticket, 5 rows up at the 50, $28,000.00, one fucking ticket, just absurd.
Hotels are averaging 1500-2000 a night, lines everywhere. Food, reservations all booked.
I told my wife, lets fly out Sunday morning, see game, fly out Monday morning and sleep in airport Sunday night, yeah, I'm stupid, that's a no go.
Bottom line, I ain't going.
I have been a season ticket holder for 7 of our 8 Super Bowl trips and never picked by the season ticket lottery.
I was a season ticket holder from late the 70's to late 90s. {Remember Candlestick Park? :)) My name was drawn in 1982 but I sold the tickets as I had no desire to travel to Detroit in January. I also was picked in 1985 when the SB was at Stanford stadium in Palo Alto. I was lucky enough to attend that game, a blowout of the Dolphins. Montana was dynamite that day. Las Vegas would be a fun venue if not for the ridiculous ticket prices.

Steve Simmons makes a very compelling argument(and I don’t just say that because we share the same last name), however, it won’t be until his NFL career is over that Mahomes will vie for the title of GOAT.

And let me ask you this: how do you top 7 SB wins with 2 different teams, a SB win beyond the age of 40, an undefeated regular season, and a SB comeback after being down 28-3 in the third quarter? I’m not saying that Mahomes can’t do these things but, so far, he hasn’t.
You forgot three super bowl losses for #12, one after a perfect regular season. I've hated Brady ever since the playoff game vs the Raiders and the stupid tuck rule.

I feel for you. But I gotta say, from here, the Rogers thing just looks like it has cluster#$&@ written all over it.
if it involves Rodgers it will always be a clusterfuck. Mr Drama Queen. You gotta wonder just what this man is all about when his own family has distanced themselves from him

Can we name Fran Tarkenton to the second team Best Quarterbacks ever list ? And that Peyton fella ?

Last edited:
You forgot three super bowl losses for #12, one after a perfect regular season. I've hated Brady ever since the playoff game vs the Raiders and the stupid tuck rule.
I haven’t forgotten. I’m still amazed that Brady came back to win SB’s after experiencing a drought.

Yeah, the tuck rule. What would you have said and done after the refs ruled in your favor? You win some that you shouldn’t and you lose some that you should’ve won. 🤷‍♂️

Bart Star is definitely in my top 10. I considered him in my top 5 but honestly wasn't sure if anyone on this forum knew the two time SB winner. I saw him at Kezar Stadium vs 49ers as a kid and was forever impressed with him.
@sf49erjohn - Oh wow, now you & I know him. GB may never have done what they did in the 1960's w/o him. Thanks for the comment.

Bart Star is definitely in my top 10. I considered him in my top 5 but honestly wasn't sure if anyone on this forum knew the two time SB winner. I saw him at Kezar Stadium vs 49ers as a kid and was forever impressed with him.
Bart Starr, Vince Lombardi and their Packers were gods here in New Jersey. Vince Lombardi was a high school head coach at St Cecelia’s in Englewood, NJ, winning six state championships. The team was once named the best high school football team in the nation.

It was constantly “the Packers this” and “Starr that“ and “Lombardi, Lombardi, Lombardi.” So much so that the geographically challenged would have thought that Green Bay was a city somewhere on the Jersey shore.

For me, school lunchtime football season discussions were about the Packers. Not one of the kids seemed to give a hoot about the Giants. To this day, there are still old timers here who chant “The Pack is back” every time they make a move up in the football standings.

Last edited:
When I worked at another job back in the late 90's, company headquarters was in West Bend, Wisconsin. As a result, the CEO was a massive Packer fan.....during one of our -national meetings, he took us all on a personal tour of Lambeau. We went down into all the locker rooms, etc. Pretty interesting. Then we went out onto the field and tossed some balls. lol

Bart Starr, Vince Lombardi and their Packers were gods here in New Jersey. Vince Lombardi was a high school head coach at St Cecelia’s in Englewood, NJ, winning six state championships. The team was once named the best high school football team in the nation.

It was constantly “the Packers this” and “Starr that“ and “Lombardi, Lombardi, Lombardi.” So much so that the geographically challenged would have thought that Green Bay was a city somewhere on the Jersey shore.

For me, school lunchtime football season discussions were about the Packers. Not one of the kids seemed to give a hoot about the Giants. To this day, their are still old timers here who chant “The Pack is back” every time they make a move up in the football standings.

The NY football Giants went 3-9 in the 1956 season, then with Vince Lombardi as the offensive coordinator and Tom Landry the defensive coordinator, won the NFL Championship in 1957, thrashing the Bears 47-7 to win the league title.

Lombardi was also one of the 7 Blocks of Granite at Fordham in the 1930s.

The NY football Giants went 3-9 in the 1956 season, then with Vince Lombardi as the offensive coordinator and Tom Landry the defensive coordinator, won the NFL Championship in 1957, thrashing the Bears 47-7 to win the league title.

Lombardi was also one of the 7 Blocks of Granite at Fordham in the 1930s.

I just love these tidbits about retired players who became coaches. Here's another one about Landry from Wikipedia:

Landry ended his playing career with 32 interceptions in only 80 games, which he returned for 404 yards and three touchdowns. He also recovered 10 fumbles (seven defensive), returning them for 67 yards and two touchdowns.

When I was a kid in grammar school, the Packers were the best team in the NFL and beat the Giants twice in the championship game. Then the Giants had some tough years during which the Packers continued to thrive. I really don't remember much at all about the NFL until the Packers / Chiefs first Super Bowl.

@GOS Bears did beat the Giants in the 1963 championship game.

Back