The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Source - Chicago Bears plan new stadium south of Soldier Field

CHICAGO -- The Bears are shifting their focus to remain in the city of Chicago with plans to build a new stadium south of Soldier Field, a source familiar with the team's plan told ESPN.

The news comes nearly 13 months after the Bears closed on the 326-acre property that formerly housed Arlington International Racecourse in Arlington Heights, Illinois. The team signed an agreement in 2021 to purchase the property for $197.2 million but has not begun developing the site, which was expected to feature a multibillion-dollar stadium project and include restaurants, retail space and real estate.

The Bears are planning to invest more than $2 billion in private money into a publicly owned domed stadium and park space that would feature year-round community amenities, a source said. Although the team has not released renderings of its proposed lakefront stadium, a source confirmed the location would be immediately south of the current site of Soldier Field and would maintain parking in the south lot.

"The Chicago Bears are proud to contribute over $2 billion to build a stadium and improve open spaces for all families, fans and the general public to enjoy in the City of Chicago," Bears team president and CEO Kevin Warren said in a statement to ESPN. "The future stadium of the Chicago Bears will bring a transformative opportunity to our region -- boosting the economy, creating jobs, facilitating mega events and generating millions in tax revenue. We look forward to sharing more information when our plans are finalized."

Soldier Field is currently the smallest stadium in the NFL, with a capacity of 61,500. The Bears' plan is to remain there until a new stadium is built, a source said, at which time the current site would be torn down aside from the building's colonnades. The plan, then, would be to construct parks and athletic fields for public use on the site.

CHICAGO -- The Bears are shifting their focus to remain in the city of Chicago with plans to build a new stadium south of Soldier Field, a source familiar with the team's plan told ESPN.

The news comes nearly 13 months after the Bears closed on the 326-acre property that formerly housed Arlington International Racecourse in Arlington Heights, Illinois. The team signed an agreement in 2021 to purchase the property for $197.2 million but has not begun developing the site, which was expected to feature a multibillion-dollar stadium project and include restaurants, retail space and real estate.

The Bears are planning to invest more than $2 billion in private money into a publicly owned domed stadium and park space that would feature year-round community amenities, a source said. Although the team has not released renderings of its proposed lakefront stadium, a source confirmed the location would be immediately south of the current site of Soldier Field and would maintain parking in the south lot.

"The Chicago Bears are proud to contribute over $2 billion to build a stadium and improve open spaces for all families, fans and the general public to enjoy in the City of Chicago," Bears team president and CEO Kevin Warren said in a statement to ESPN. "The future stadium of the Chicago Bears will bring a transformative opportunity to our region -- boosting the economy, creating jobs, facilitating mega events and generating millions in tax revenue. We look forward to sharing more information when our plans are finalized."

Soldier Field is currently the smallest stadium in the NFL, with a capacity of 61,500. The Bears' plan is to remain there until a new stadium is built, a source said, at which time the current site would be torn down aside from the building's colonnades. The plan, then, would be to construct parks and athletic fields for public use on the site.
This is so cool for the Chicago fan. The ultimate of what a City should do for there NFL fans. I always wanted SF to build a new park at Candlestick, sure parking and what not would be a nightmare for a couple years. Santa Clara isn't so bad actually, 40 miles south of SF and they are still called the SF Niners, could be worse.
Eagles knocked down the Vet and built the new one practically next to each other.
I am sure the car racing fans have a different opinion about losing there Arlington.

I hope Armstead finds a good home, he deserves it, he is a massively tall dude.

Reactions: GOS
This is so cool for the Chicago fan. The ultimate of what a City should do for there NFL fans. I always wanted SF to build a new park at Candlestick, sure parking and what not would be a nightmare for a couple years. Santa Clara isn't so bad actually, 40 miles south of SF and they are still called the SF Niners, could be worse.
Eagles knocked down the Vet and built the new one practically next to each other.
I am sure the car racing fans have a different opinion about losing there Arlington.

Let's see how it all plays out; it seems as if da Bears will also be asking for public funds. Plus, they have to placate Friends of the Parks, who successfully blocked a proposed George Lucas Museum. Btw, Arlington was HORSE racing!
1710176521114.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_Park

Will the stadium officially open for business within the next 5 years? :unsure:

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Dallas Cowboys are proof of how little matters which actual city name is tied to a franchise. And then, of course, we have the New York Giants and New York Jets who play in New Jersey.

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Dallas Cowboys are proof of how little matters which actual city name is tied to a franchise. And then, of course, we have the New York Giants and New York Jets who play in New Jersey.
The Detroit Lions played in Pontiac Michigan ( Pontiac Silverdome ) for 30 years ( 45 miles from downtown Detroit ). The Detroit Pistons played there for many years also and then moved 5 miles closer ( The Palace of Auburn Hills...40 miles away )
The Red Wings and Tigers stayed true to downtown Detroit
And now ? All 4 Pro teams are downtown once again.

Let's see how it all plays out; it seems as if da Bears will also be asking for public funds. Plus, they have to placate Friends of the Parks, who successfully blocked a proposed George Lucas Museum. Btw, Arlington was HORSE racing!
View attachment 103199
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_Park
I have never been to a game at Soldier's Field or Wrigley, but I am so impressed with the iconic stature of the stadiums every time I've seen them in person. Building a new home for the Bears would be good, but sad to see the old one torn down. My wife remarked even her parents used to go there when they were young and dating. I see that it's the smallest NFL stadium and the traffic jams are notorious with a game, so in some ways it makes sense to move to Arlington. Still...

We have new stadium madness in my area too. But the situation is reversed: our football wants to stay where they are & our baseball wants to move to a new stadium. For those that may not know currently both teams play just outside Kansas City, in Independence, in the Truman Sports Complex.

1710184630065.jpeg

As you can see they are both located on the same plot of land. Considering the playing seasons are pretty much opposite phase this makes a great deal of sense. Look at all that shared parking! And other common features contribute to the success of this operation.

The Royals want to move downtown to the area formerly occupied by the newspaper:

1710184899174.jpeg

This is only one city block. Pretty damn small. To make for more room, mostly for parking, many successful business's in what we call The Cross Roads District will be demolished. When project officials consider the parking situation there will be some true Royals parking and then they claim private parking lots will take up the slack. Nonsense. With the owners happily jacking up parking rates as high as they can go.

The Royals say they must move because their ball park was built with "bad concrete". Concrete cancer is what the news calls it. Yup, both structures built at the same time, same companies, same concrete source. But one got good concrete & the other got bad. The Royals have not let any independent third parties investigate to verify. Oh, really! Now I do admit the Royals play a lot more home games there than the Chiefs do, promoting more wear & tear. But $2 billion worth?

To facilitate the new ball park the Sherman family (owners) will put up a few $100 million out of an expected budget of $2 billion, baby. There will be private investments. But also soon the city will vote on continuing a 3/8 % sales tax to fund it also. It is a continuation, not a new tax. But here's the deal. Per Wiki:

"Outside of a dominant 10-year stretch between 1976 and 1985, and a brief, albeit dominant, resurgence from 2013 to 2015, the Royals have combined for a bottom-ten all time winning percentage in MLB history."

Now this sales tax is used both for the Royals and an $800 million update to Arrowhead. The area is glad to see the Chiefs get a boost, the Royals not so much. It's easier to spend money when the team is a winning proposition. But if it doesn't pass both teams say they will look elsewhere.

This just seems so screwed up to me. It's like one of those lose/lose deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS

Is that true that ex-mayor Lori Lightfoot wants to be a Bears cheerleader 🤔?
Yep, you sure do know how to pick the lookers there in Chicago!😂
.... George Halas is rolling over in his grave...

Hey, don’t pick on Lori Lightfoot’s appearance, after all, she did venture out to get her hair done after she told everyone else to stay home during lockdown. Also , Lightfoot and Bill DeBlasio, a pair of failed big city mayors, both moved on to become Fellows at the Harvard School of Government once their elected terms expired.

I have never been to a game at Soldier's Field or Wrigley, but I am so impressed with the iconic stature of the stadiums every time I've seen them in person. Building a new home for the Bears would be good, but sad to see the old one torn down. My wife remarked even her parents used to go there when they were young and dating. I see that it's the smallest NFL stadium and the traffic jams are notorious with a game, so in some ways it makes sense to move to Arlington. Still...

We have new stadium madness in my area too. But the situation is reversed: our football wants to stay where they are & our baseball wants to move to a new stadium. For those that may not know currently both teams play just outside Kansas City, in Independence, in the Truman Sports Complex.

View attachment 103204

As you can see they are both located on the same plot of land. Considering the playing seasons are pretty much opposite phase this makes a great deal of sense. Look at all that shared parking! And other common features contribute to the success of this operation.

The Royals want to move downtown to the area formerly occupied by the newspaper:

View attachment 103205

This is only one city block. Pretty damn small. To make for more room, mostly for parking, many successful business's in what we call The Cross Roads District will be demolished. When project officials consider the parking situation there will be some true Royals parking and then they claim private parking lots will take up the slack. Nonsense. With the owners happily jacking up parking rates as high as they can go.

The Royals say they must move because their ball park was built with "bad concrete". Concrete cancer is what the news calls it. Yup, both structures built at the same time, same companies, same concrete source. But one got good concrete & the other got bad. The Royals have not let any independent third parties investigate to verify. Oh, really! Now I do admit the Royals play a lot more home games there than the Chiefs do, promoting more wear & tear. But $2 billion worth?

To facilitate the new ball park the Sherman family (owners) will put up a few $100 million out of an expected budget of $2 billion, baby. There will be private investments. But also soon the city will vote on continuing a 3/8 % sales tax to fund it also. It is a continuation, not a new tax. But here's the deal. Per Wiki:

"Outside of a dominant 10-year stretch between 1976 and 1985, and a brief, albeit dominant, resurgence from 2013 to 2015, the Royals have combined for a bottom-ten all time winning percentage in MLB history."

Now this sales tax is used both for the Royals and an $800 million update to Arrowhead. The area is glad to see the Chiefs get a boost, the Royals not so much. It's easier to spend money when the team is a winning proposition. But if it doesn't pass both teams say they will look elsewhere.

This just seems so screwed up to me. It's like one of those lose/lose deals.
Maybe Mahomes can donate some of the $500 million that he signed for to pay towards the stadium update.

Edit: I haven’t given the Royals a second thought since we got past the days of George Brett and Whitey Herzog.

wow
Aaron Jones. wow
To me ( outsider looking in ) he was a workhorse. A Packer. His never quit attitude seemed to have vacated him in the last year
Do tell Bobby --whats the story here ? beside cap money
I don't like the move!
Yes it was the money, Jones was due $12M in 2024. I understand him being injury pron also figured in. He couldn't take the pounding of a 17 game season. Not so much a workhorse but a race horse!
Jacobs is said to be a somewhat better, more durable runner.
I think GB hoped Jones would be willing to restructure his contract, apparently he wasn't going to take a pay cut. Someone is going to be getting a good RB in Jones.
I heard Jacobs had no career receiving TDs...Jones had many! It's basically musical running backs...they all switch teams. Some winners, some losers..
GB needs 2 good RBs like your Lions have Ricky!

Also, GB got a safety...
https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-signing-safety-xavier-mckinney-to-four-year-68-million-deal
GB suddenly has a lot more cap room since A. Rodgers in finally off the books.

Last edited:
I have no idea who she is or what she looks like but mayors usually tend to be older than the average cheerleader. I'm sure all the fans will be looking forward to those high kicks and splits.

Back