Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I mentioned Meridian's MQA which 'supposedly' restores all those frequencies for streaming/downloading.

Wonder if Universal/DOLBY will release BD~As for those averse to streaming/downloading. A BD~A is capable of holding literally hours of uncompressed music and IMO, would be preferable, at least for me.

MQA isn't multichannel. However there already is 3D lossy audio used for streaming movies, Dolby Digital Plus.

I can't see myself just buying a song and not an album. I might buy a subscription if I could stream thousands, even with lossy compression. I rarely stream now...

But I think the point of remixing 'thousands of songs" is to appeal to those who don't want entire albums containing 'filler' they have no interest in. The 'album' concept was big in the late 60's and 70's, popularized by the Beatles whose albums contained NO filler. And the MP3 download concept enabled potential customers to sample individual album cuts and purchase what they specifically wanted......so I'm assuming Universal/Dolby are basically mimmicking that approach.

Whether they do entire albums is anyone's guess. But I still firmly believe the nightmare scenario of accessing individual multitracks for literally thousands of tracks when half the time they can't even locate complete multitracks for CLASSIC albums is an overreach! And I do think a LOT of those so~called DOLBY ATMOS remixes will 'surreptiously' be nothing more than glorified UPMIXES!

Then, of course, there's a whole 'nother competing system vying for recognition in the marketplace: DTS:X https://www.cnet.com/news/dts-x-the-dolby-atmos-alternative-explained/

Since DTS did cause a stir in the 90's when it introduced surroundophiles to the joys of DTS encoded CDs and was the more preferred codec competing with Dolby Digital 5.1 for motion picture soundtracks on DVD and laserdisc, I wonder if they will launch their own music based remix program to compete with Universal/Dolby Atmos' new launch.

They say competition is a good thing ......... and prior to DOLBY's intended domination of ATMOS for MUSIC becomes a reality, will DTS which was a force to reckon with in the 90's, attempt to once again compete with its rival by releasing DTS:X music based content of their own?

See the source image
Seems to me they already dominate BluRay.

Agreed. I think some forget that Dolby Atmos still has a core 7.1 and 5.1 track. All these new releases will still be in surround reproducible on 5.1 systems.
I actually meant "surround". I guess the days of using 5.1 and surround interchangeably are over, LOL.

Or are thousands of songs simply hundreds of albums? I think you are reading a lot into some introductory verbiage.

No, I don't think so, markshan ........ That would herald a new SURROUND revival and as we all should know by now SURROUND in any form remains a NICHE market. Universal's BD~A launch failed [with SONY and Warner's 'supposed' BD~A launch a NO SHOW] and I really think Universal/Dolby's approach supporting 'individual' HIT tracks might just appeal to surround 'lurkers' who are not into QUAD/5.1 remixes of entire albums.

If they indeed release NEW Music from this century from top 40 artists across ALL genres, I do feel that appeal just might be a more universal approach IF THEY PLAY THEIR CARDS RIGHT.

But the BIG question remains: How many potential customers are willing to upgrade their systems to accomodate DOLBY ATMOS? And that is really the crux of the matter!

Last edited:
I really think Universal/Dolby's approach supporting 'individual' HIT tracks might just appeal to surround 'lurkers' who are not into QUAD/5.1 remixes of entire albums.
OTOH, once a label incurs the library research costs of tracking down the multis and doing a digital transfer, the cost of doing the whole album is often only slightly higher than the cost of doing a single track.

I can picture someone standing in front of their Smart speaker with their old retro cassette recorder. :LOL:
Have you ever heard some of the needledrops that are out there? They sometimes sound better than official product. This would be even easier, with a receiver that has pre-outs into a multi channel sound card.

Then, of course, there's a whole 'nother competing system vying for recognition in the marketplace: DTS:X https://www.cnet.com/news/dts-x-the-dolby-atmos-alternative-explained/

The "other system" in the market is generally considered to be Auro-3D. The Auro-3D concept and formats were developed in 2005 by Wilfried Van Baelen, CEO and Founder of Galaxy Studios and Auro Technologies - and formerly married to European Singer Dana Winner who appeared on several Surround Sound SACDs. They have been working with smaller independent record labels to release Auro3D music on BluRay audio discs.

The new Dolby Atmos/Universal deal could be viewed as Dolby's effort to "catch up" when it comes to bringing music to the more than 7.1 channel market.

https://www.auro-3d.com/consumer/bluray

Yes, I have, and they vary in quality from the cartridge/turntable that was used and the vinyl record itself.
Of course, but that wasn't really my point. My point was that it can be done better than a cassette deck in the middle of the room.

Of course, but that wasn't really my point. My point was that it can be done better than a cassette deck in the middle of the room.
Of course? Where is your sense of humor? I had an image pop in my head after reading what you said, and it just sounded funny to me and I Posted my thought. Is that a problem for you? I never contradicted what you said, in any way. Relax.

Of course? Where is your sense of humor? I had an image pop in my head after reading what you said, and it just sounded funny to me and I Posted my thought. Is that a problem for you? I never contradicted what you said, in any way. Relax.
I didn't say you contradicted it. I said it wasn't my point. BTW, I am fully relaxed, thank you for your concern.

I really dont see this happening...almost no one i know even has a 5.1 system...how the heck they gonna get the general public to invest in atmos systems for the house

Almost everyone listens thru earbuds or at best has a soundbar
People like us are the exception!

how the heck they gonna get the general public to invest in atmos systems for the house

But there’s thousands, probably hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of people with 5.1 systems used for watching movies and TV shows that can now listen to surround music. Many already have Atmos AVRs as just about all produced in last few years have Atmos and every surround amp since mid 2000s has Dolby TrueHD which can reproduce Atmos music in 5.1. Many sound bars can also synthesise surround from Atmos and Dolby TrueHD.

The main issues with getting new surround music for everyone, but especially for newbies, is lack surround music to buy and lack of recent artist music too. The Atmos music announcement has the potential to solve this somewhat.

When I talk to friends that hear my system now they often ask If I buy a system where can I buy the surround music? I have to tell them it’s near impossible.

Back