Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the part of the USA TODAY article that gets me excited:
THE WHO!!!

“The San Francisco-based company announced a deal with Universal Music Group, the largest recording label and home of artists ranging from Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga to Abba, Elton John and The Who, to begin re-mastering older and new tracks in Atmos.”
Now after saying that, I’m pretty happy with Quadrophenia already. Also that’s just calling out artists under the UMG, not what’s predestined to be considered for the new format. We can only hope!

This is the part of the USA TODAY article that gets me excited:
THE WHO!!!

“The San Francisco-based company announced a deal with Universal Music Group, the largest recording label and home of artists ranging from Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga to Abba, Elton John and The Who, to begin re-mastering older and new tracks in Atmos.”
Now after saying that, I’m pretty happy with Quadrophenia already. Also that’s just calling out artists under the UMG, not what’s predestined to be considered for the new format. We can only hope!

Sorry, Pupster 🐶 ...... Horton's an ELEPHANT

See the source image

I'm just gonna say it like this:

I have a 7.2.4 atmos setup in my little humble bedroom (where I compute and listen to music) (the more speakers, the better, you'll never convince me otherwise)

Why the Fuck wouldn't I want 1000's of songs in atmos?

HomerJAU is right, the problem with atmos and DTS:X (which IMO is even better than atmos because it allows for 24/96 as opposed to atmos's limited 24/48) is that there is a TON (and will continue to be) MOVIE content but no MUSICAL content.

IMO, this move by Dolby is exactly geared towards this forum and surround lovers. We should embrace the fact that Dolby has recognized us as an important member of the music community and not as an outkast. If they are using us to sell their format to others, who cares, we will benefit. Marvin Gaye in atmos is a good thing, no matter how the fuck you look at it.

Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying

MarvinGayeWhat%27sGoingOnalbumcover.jpg

The way I see it, the last effing thing I want is another stereo release of a Pink Floyd song I've heard a million times over in stereo. I hope EVERYONE follows suit and never releases a stereo mix again and whether its atmos, DTS:X or Auro 3D isn't that our ultimate goal?

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say it like this:

I have a 7.2.4 atmos setup in my little humble bedroom (where I compute and listen to music) (the more speakers, the better, you'll never convince me otherwise)

Why the Fuck wouldn't I want 1000's of songs in atmos?

HomerJAU is right, the problem with atmos and DTS:X (which IMO is even better than atmos because it allows for 24/96 as opposed to atmos's limited 24/48) is that there is a TON (and will continue to be) MOVIE content but no MUSICAL content.

IMO, this move by Dolby is exactly geared towards this forum and surround lovers. We should embrace the fact that Dolby has recognized us as an important member of the music community and not as an outkast. If they are using us to sell their format to others, who cares, we will benefit. Marvin Gaye in atmos is a good thing, no matter how the fuck you look at it.

Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying

MarvinGayeWhat%27sGoingOnalbumcover.jpg

The way I see it, the last effing thing I want is another stereo release of a Pink Floyd song I've heard a million times over in stereo. I hope EVERYONE follows suit and never releases a stereo mix again and whether its atmos, DTS:X or Auro 3D isn't that our ultimate goal?

Right on, Brother, Brother....BROTHER!

I really dont see this happening...almost no one i know even has a 5.1 system...how the heck they gonna get the general public to invest in atmos systems for the house?

Part of this may be a Dolby branding play.
I recently noticed that several Windows based Laptops at Best Buy that carried the word "Dolby Atmos" on their front panel.

Now, one could claim that the laptops have a form of Atmos inside.
But they were 13" laptops, certainly not enough room for more than 7.1 speakers (or more) inside...... :)

of course it's a branding play, but we benefit so what's the harm, if it doesn't pan out for Dolby we are left with 1000's of surround songs. It's like a huge loss leader. Everyone loses but us. If Dolby is that naive, so be it, we'll have already got what we want (if they don't wake up and cut the cord before the 1000 quota is up), and that's my biggest fear, is it a 1000 guaranteed contract or just a promise? To me, if you publish a 1000 guarantee then you should be held contractually accountable, and that's the problem with the music industry and has always been.

Last edited:

I was reading a small web article about the Atmos music press release on a Digital Music website and all they said about Atmos was it offered higher quality sound. Nothing about multi channel/surround.

I wish they would do remix all these songs into Dolby Atmos, but I always read about REMASTERS. If this is their plan, they would only use stereo sources and therefore they would do upmixes!

I recently noticed that several Windows based Laptops at Best Buy that carried the word "Dolby Atmos" on their front panel.

Now, one could claim that the laptops have a form of Atmos inside.
But they were 13" laptops, certainly not enough room for more than 7.1 speakers (or more) inside...... :)
Could be an HDMI output to Receiver maybe :unsure:

I was reading a small web article about the Atmos music press release on a Digital Music website and all they said about Atmos was it offered higher quality sound. Nothing about multi channel/surround.

I'm wondering if some of the Atmos releases will be the Laptop form of Atmos. Which could be Stereo Atmos vs. Surround Sound Atmos.
We will learn more as the project moves forward.

Not trying to be a total Doggie Downer here, although I’m a natural born skeptic 🤨; I read through the articles carefully 🧐 and they are fairly vague. Hype can be spun and delivered in all sorts of flavors. Netflix and Amazon was mentioned which contain many concert films of most of these artists, delivered in various forms. Also there are a multitude of songs featured in movies that could be part of a hype package. The showcasing of album songs from Marvin Gaye does sound hopeful; but I’ll be viewing all this with a healthy dose of stink eye, albeit through rose colored E. J. star framed glasses🤩

I think they are going for their own version of high res downloads. As I think that's where the new money is at.
It would be totally fantastic if they were considering whole album releases in Atmos but I fear the market is too small for them to consider such an uneconomic option.
That's what I'm reading into this news... :unsure:

Not trying to be a total Doggie Downer here, although I’m a natural born skeptic 🤨; I read through the articles carefully 🧐 and they are fairly vague. Hype can be spun and delivered in all sorts of flavors. Netflix and Amazon was mentioned which contain many concert films of most of these artists, delivered in various forms. Also there are a multitude of songs featured in movies that could be part of a hype package. The showcasing of album songs from Marvin Gaye does sound hopeful; but I’ll be viewing all this with a healthy dose of stink eye, albeit through rose colored E. J. star framed glasses🤩

Don't believe the hype...believe it when i see it...or in this case hear it

In my view, hardware is the showstopper here. Most of ordinary people won't cable all the speakers needed for Atmos (in the same way they won't do it for humble 5.1 systems). Even when you live in your own house, cabling is an issue (explain that to your wife's...), not to mention when you live in a rented flat. On top of it, there's the lack of musical culture, starting with speakers placement (how may stereo setups you've seen with both speakers sitting together on a shelf?) and people listening just to Spotify streams with the lowest quality without noticing the difference even with a CD?
This initiative is just a marketing movement that I honestly don't think will get too far. However, from a very selfish point of view, let them remix one thousand songs or albums, I'll get and enjoy them while they last.
Anyway, it's not only UMG, Netflix and Amazon are also investing on Atmos, which is a good signal for us. Instead of useless sound bars, I'd wished the speakers manufacturers would investigate more on wireless speakers, with a robust technology that would save all cabling and let us place the speakers easily anywhere. Just dreaming...
(I luckily have a 5.1.4 setup, all cables behind the walls and a really nice wife that did not ever complain)

I’d rather see hundreds of popular albums as opposed to thousands of songs.

I totally understand... but I wouldn't mind just getting the best tunes from thousands of mediocre albums, as long as "classic" albums are still released in their entirety (I listen to single tracks more often than complete albums as it is!)

(Take that Naked Eyes song "Promises, Promises" a few posts back... I'd love to purchase that song in surround, but I wouldn't care to purchase the entire album!)

In my view, hardware is the showstopper here. Most of ordinary people won't cable all the speakers needed for Atmos (in the same way they won't do it for humble 5.1 systems). Even when you live in your own house, cabling is an issue (explain that to your wife's...), not to mention when you live in a rented flat. On top of it, there's the lack of musical culture, starting with speakers placement (how may stereo setups you've seen with both speakers sitting together on a shelf?) and people listening just to Spotify streams with the lowest quality without noticing the difference even with a CD?
This initiative is just a marketing movement that I honestly don't think will get too far. However, from a very selfish point of view, let them remix one thousand songs or albums, I'll get and enjoy them while they last.
Anyway, it's not only UMG, Netflix and Amazon are also investing on Atmos, which is a good signal for us. Instead of useless sound bars, I'd wished the speakers manufacturers would investigate more on wireless speakers, with a robust technology that would save all cabling and let us place the speakers easily anywhere. Just dreaming...
(I luckily have a 5.1.4 setup, all cables behind the walls and a really nice wife that did not ever complain)
4 subs :p Dude you must really like da boom 💥💥💥💥-ride ‘em Cowboy 🤠

I totally agree, I have all my family, all my friends, acquaintance here and there even people I bump into at the HiFi stores, some of them very knowledgeable about music history, bands, albums, etc and NONE of them are into 5.1 listening, let alone 9 or 11 speakers, ceiling mounted, up firing, whatever.
That is simply why I hang out with you all because otherwise I would be alone in the world of surround music.

I totally agree, I have all my family, all my friends, acquaintance here and there even people I bump into at the HiFi stores, some of them very knowledgeable about music history, bands, albums, etc and NONE of them are into 5.1 listening, let alone 9 or 11 speakers, ceiling mounted, up firing, whatever.
That is simply why I hang out with you all because otherwise I would be alone in the world of surround music.

+1 ❤️

Back