When is hi-rez overkill?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. Once you have been exposed to and perhaps trained to know what to listen for the differences are subtle but obvious. Midrange is more silky, high end cymbals are less hashy and most obviously on audience recordings the background chatter is much more annoying.

Once you have been exposed to and perhaps trained to know how easily fooled the human sensorium can be, reportes such as this cannot help but be viewed with skepticism.

And btw, I do have experience with 16 vs 24.

If you are a recording engineer I certainly would not hire you for any projects.
Why? I would certainly use 24-bit for recording, and for production. For home delivery media, it's not so important. And if I working for you, I could demonstrate that to you with a blind comparison...at no charge.

Besides, this is a King Crimson thread about upcoming hi rez SACD, why are you here then if your current crop of CD's is not only good enough, but apparently perfect for you already?
Because different MASTERING -- choice of source tapes, levels, EQ, noise reduction, compression -- can make a real, audible difference. And of course, multichannel mixes are entirely new.

Good thing I have a nice pile of 24 bit recordings that at the very least I have deluded myself into thinking that they sound very nice and better than 16 bit CDs. BTW, in an un--scientific test a friend of mine was able to pick out the 24 bit version of the Grateful Dead 8-13-75 on a boom box.
It's odd that you'd present this as 'evidence' to me. Try a scientific test next time. That's one where you'd control for BASIC confounders, like simple output level differences, and the effect of 'knowing' what you're listening to.

the more I hear about double blind listening tests, the less I respect their validity. Useful for some things I am sure.
I don't get any sense from your responses that you understand the basic rationale for blind tests, so your lack of 'respect' for them is meaningless..it appears to be more an 'emotional response' than any consideration of the actual arguments for them.

Could one of the moderators move this line of argument to another thread? Every time I see a mention of King Crimson in a thread my heart flutters only to be bitterly disappointed by 2 people with clearly too much time on their hands bickering back and forth about something completely unrelated.

Oops, sorry, pal, I'd hate to give you a heart attack. It might conflict with your busy, busy schedule of checking web forums for news of 30 year-old King Crimson album rereleases

Oops, sorry, pal, I'd hate to give you a heart attack. It might conflict with your busy, busy schedule of checking web forums for news of 30 year-old King Crimson album rereleases

I have no problem with you per se - just don't have any interest in your detailed rants - and I am not your Pal! :D

Elmer's point about off-topic excursions is well taken. Thank you for the head's up. I too am anxiously awaiting REAL news on the King Crimson catalog and my heart skips a beat every time I see new posts in this thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2503

We all have different things that float our boats, wether it be news of KC releases or entering into debates about the nature of hi-rez media. Both are presumably equally valid pursuits, but for the sanity of those involved let's try and keep them segregated.

Now that we have hdcd.exe, you can level match the decoded and nondecoded signal, and see for yourself if there's an audible difference, with an ABX comparison..
So the software is available? Nice. :) Downloadable at...? (Edit: OK, already got it.)

So a decoded HDCD is saved as a 20 bit WAV, or what? (Stupid formats require stupid questions...) Edit: Nope, 24 bits, it seems.

...a few of the KC HDCDs use peak extension -- Wake, Lizard, Islands.

With Lizard and Islands being my absolute non-favorites of the KC discography... :(

Regardless, all the CD:s sound good (apart from maybe Red, but that is good anyway), and basically you are saying that the HDCD coding was totally needless? Only there to annoy us? :D

Last edited:
Almen:

OK, can you send me whole article?

when the premise of the article is explained by Mr. Moran, and based on your exerpt in the other thread, it makes no sense to me and doesn't appear to actually stand for the proposition that is being asserted--that's why I say it's "stupid"--I could be wrong.

As for my other comment about Moran, let me explain--he appears to be using this article as "proof" that SACD has no noticeable quality enhancement, and then he uses that supposition in reviews of all SACDs, even if he hasn't heard the SACD layer--he also appears to completely ignore the multichannel layer of an SACD. Based on that, I can't really give him or his theories much credence, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

Elmer's point about off-topic excursions is well taken. Thank you for the head's up. I too am anxiously awaiting REAL news on the King Crimson catalog and my heart skips a beat every time I see new posts in this thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2503

We all have different things that float our boats, wether it be news of KC releases or entering into debates about the nature of hi-rez media. Both are presumably equally valid pursuits, but for the sanity of those involved let's try and keep them segregated.

It was sad to read this knowing that Cai didn't live to hear the KC surround releases. An emoticon couldn't give this feeling justice, so I didn't put one in.

Almen:

OK, can you send me whole article?

when the premise of the article is explained by Mr. Moran, and based on your exerpt in the other thread, it makes no sense to me and doesn't appear to actually stand for the proposition that is being asserted--that's why I say it's "stupid"--I could be wrong.

As for my other comment about Moran, let me explain--he appears to be using this article as "proof" that SACD has no noticeable quality enhancement, and then he uses that supposition in reviews of all SACDs, even if he hasn't heard the SACD layer--he also appears to completely ignore the multichannel layer of an SACD. Based on that, I can't really give him or his theories much credence, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

JAES articles cost $20 to nonmembers, you can pay and download at the website (like I did).

If you're talking about the David Moran of the Meyer & Moran article in JAES, it appears you haven't read the article. M&M actually write that there are often truly audible differences between SACD and CD versions, but it's due to mastering choices -- source choice, EQ, compression/limiting, noise reduction -- not the formats. Moran (and the many subjects they tested )*CERTAINLY* have heard the DSD layers of many SACDs. Specifically, the test compared two-channel DSD output to the exact same signal downconverted to Redbook rates.

As for the multichannel layer, there was no way to compare it in their setup. They would have to have had an inline six-channel DSD-->PCM converter at hand. And of course to compare six channel to two channel would have been pointless. A 'quality enhancement' due to remixing from two six channels wasn't even remotely the issue being tested.

Btw, nowhere do M&M recommend not buying SACDs. They wouldn't recommend buying them just for the DSD vs Redbook difference. Obviously, as noted above, there are at least two reasons they'd agree with why an SACD might be a good buy: 1) better mastering and 2) a new mix (surround and/or two-channel). In other words, things that are really likely to be audible, versus 'differences' that aren't.

M&M actually write that there are often truly audible differences between SACD and CD versions, but it's due to mastering choices -- source choice, EQ, compression/limiting, noise reduction -- not the formats.

Thanks for the explanation, that is what I figured, as I have heard many say the same thing--"it's different, but due to reasons other than the format"

I won't be buying the article, but I'll give them the respect they deserve.

These "arguments" always go nowhere anyway, and nothing I could say will change that fact, esp. since i'm not an audio expert :cool:

Plenty of discussion about the validity of double-blind listening tests, especially when applied to audio codecs. if you don't believe the differences exist or are not worth it, fine with me. You should be contributing to the "good enough" forums, not the hi-rez surround forums.

For something you claim not to care about (differences you're dead certain you hear) you sure do go on about it.

As for 'hi-rez', let me clue you in on a few things
1)this isn't a 'hi rez' forum. It's a surround sound forum. And besides,
2)'hi rez' itself is more a marketing slogan than an indicator of audio quality. And if you want damning *objective* proof of that, I'll be happy to point you to the relevant threads complete with 'brickwalled' waveforms from 'hi rez' releases that are both TROUNCED and TRUMPED by CDs released 20 years ago.

Robert Harley is a audiophool buffoon who also propounds, for example, the entirely unfounded idea that the direction' of the copper crystals in a cable makes an audible difference. He is also largely ignorant of psychoacoustics. Of the many things he doesn't know , another is that low-bit codec testing for radio broadcast -- which has ALWAYS been compromised, going back to the introduction of massive dynamic range compression in broadcasts of the 70s -- is just one of many arms of codec testing. If you want some more relevant low-bit codec data, see the several tests conducted by members of hydrogenaudio.org

If Locanthi was an expert in low-bit digital then he was OF COURSE well positioned to hear its artifacts. Developers of the LAME mp3 codec -- arguably the best there is today -- can sometimes hear artifacts at its *highest* bitrates, for the same reason -- they are specifically attuned to them, since such artifacts are sought out and used to continually upgrade to codec in the course of their work. And it is in the nature of hearing that *if* you point something out to someone specifically, effectively 'training' them to hear it, it improved their chances of hearing it afterwards (even if it's *not real*, btw). And as usual for his dishonest portrayal of anything to do with blind testss, Harley leaves out lots of details that would be relevant, like, the fact that these tests were done in 1991 -- 1991! -- in the very earliest days of lossy comporession, when few would be expected to have experience with lossy's peculiar artifacts; like, was Locanthi's call *verified* in any blind tests -- surely one had to be done to verify that he, and everyeone else heard it afterwards? Did the authors of the Swedish test report that NO ONE in 20,000 tested heard a difference with any statistical significance, or was the survey merely meant to define acceptable limits? And who among the many 'experts' was trained to hear mp3 artifacts? Was the track used for wide testing the same as the one they sent Locanthi? Could Locanthi tell the difference (blind of course) between the uncompressed and the mp3 when *broadcast*?

No one would claim today -- and I very much doubt anyone claimed in 1991 -- that low bitrate lossy codecs are guaranteed to be transparent. Yet Harley tries to make it seem like Redbook vs DSD circa 2008 -- both highly developed technologies -- is analogous to Redbook vs mp3 in 1991. He seems to think that the 'real' difference he hears just awaits a Locanthi to blow the whole picture wide open. He's welcome to try. It hasn't happened yet. But of course he gives himself an 'out' by claiming DBTs *don't work* anyway. Harley claims the 'patent absurdity' of DBT results as proof. This is called 'argumednt from personal incredulity', btw. Meanwhile, we can prove, EASILY, that sighted test is prone to error. Including Harley's. Blind testing does work, and in fact trained listeners can distinguish differences down to the physiological limits of human hearing, in blind tests. Harley et al. are terrified of blind tests -- the tests that supposedly 'don't work' yet remain gold standard in scientific/academic study what we can hear, and what we cannot -- because they undermine the authority of Harley et al and much of the foundation of 'high end audio' itself.

I'd love to see Harley try to tell a good high bitrate mp3 from source today, btw.

Thanks for the explanation, that is what I figured, as I have heard many say the same thing--"it's different, but due to reasons other than the format"

I won't be buying the article, but I'll give them the respect they deserve.

What I forgot to add, is that in the article they say the SACD version often sounds *better* to them...just like audiophiles do.

2)'hi rez' itself is more a marketing slogan than an indicator of audio quality. And if you want damning *objective* proof of that, I'll be happy to point you to the relevant threads complete with 'brickwalled' waveforms from 'hi rez' releases that are both TROUNCED and TRUMPED by CDs released 20 years ago.

Or just play The Thorns or Best Of Roxy Music SACDs for proof.

What I forgot to add, is that in the article they say the SACD version often sounds *better* to them...just like audiophiles do.

Ok, but why do they say SACD often sounds better. Are they saying that in the end it's all psychological?

BTW, I'm in the camp that thinks DVD-A sound the best of all. But I listened to that AIX BD disc that was sent out with the new OPPO BD-83, and I"m willing to admit, even the lossy dts version sounded incredible.

Thanks for the explanation, that is what I figured, as
These "arguments" always go nowhere anyway, and nothing I could say will change that fact, esp. since i'm not an audio expert :cool:

No expert here either. Sscully, what are you trying to gain? You will convince nobody who believes otherwise, you will not change my opinion, derived from my own experience.

You don't like hi-rez, you think it is no better than hi-bit rate MP3, go for it. Red book CD more than good enough for you, fine.

Personally I say "If you get confused listen to the music play!"

Reminds me of a lawyer looking for somebody to argue with, just because.

No argument here.
:banana:

wanners: In this case I am of the same opinion as ssully, so I don't have much to add. I hope you are content with the answer.

Regarding SACDs sometimes sounding better than CD, that is because of the mastering. The same goes for DVD-A. This is quite easy to hear on for example Björk's or Sheryl Crow's releases, since the original CDs are radio-mastered. Then, when a careful mastering, preserving dynamics and not "enhancing" the sound with EQ, is applied it is not surprising that it sounds better than the CD.

NOpe, not an "expert", just been listening to music with various equipment for 40 years. won't brag about my system but it is most certainly of sufficient resolution to reveal sonic differences between formats. I would certainly not claim to be an expert. I do know what I hear.

And no argument since there is no convincing anybody who doesn't already know.
so, I guess the answer to this thread's question "When is ri-rez overkill" is:

"Always, since most people can't hear the difference nor do they care. Hi bit rate MP3 is good enough"

So, no argument.

And it doesn't matter because "the masses" have spoken. both formats are basically dead (except for classical music) with new releases few and far between at best. I am glad that I picked up as many of the releases that interested me when they were available. I can listen to them and am most certainly the only person in the world who sits back and thinks "ahh, these sound really good, better than red book CD."

Just a deluded old fool.

No Simon, you will never be the only one. Actually, hi-res audio is more available than ever before. This due to improved home theaters and computer sound cards. By now there are some not-so-good trends such as analog circuit downgrade and forced dowsampling. But still I do think we're getting there, as a spin-off from the interest for lossless surround in movies. Hopefully we will eventually also see evolution of studio techniques, as hi-res audio gear becomes more available in general.

Once we get there it'll be time to question if we really need the minimalist approach inherited from the invention of the CD format in times when it was difficult to store 700MB on a disc. The approach can be questioned in many ways, without having to go any further than this thread. If multiples of 48 kHz (e.g. 48, 96 and 192) are broadly used in studios, why squeeze it down to 44,1 on consumer media? If it accepted that 24 bits resolution is good for some live material, why categorically deny that it could have benefits for any other recording? If there are some proof that some things could be improved up to 58kHz, why choose 44,1 or 48 anyway. If 16, 32 or whatever tracks are recorded, mixed and mastered at 96KHz, why bother to go through the process of converting to something less?

When that day comes, none of the questions above will have the answer "to improve fidelity". And maybe, just maybe some of the people presently occupied with improving low-res audio with HDCD algorithms, loudness "enhancement" and artificial noise (a.k.a. dither) could go back to what it really should be all about: to put the music forward as it is, with technology being the means to bring it to us, nothing more and nothing less.

Another deluded old fool

Back