WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both! Amazon has their own people who deliver as well as 'independent 3rd party' people.
They also 'hand off' packages to USPS.
The packages I get from Amazon's own fleet usually take a picture of package outside by my door & send pic to my email address.
OK. Well if by fleet you mean a truck or such labeled "amazon" never seen it. Nor have I ever received a picture of a delivery.
Still don't understand how it can take so many days to deliver a package from 100 miles away, and supposedly (according to informed delivery) languish in the local post office for days.
But I often see stuff like a package arriving locally, then sent off to another facility, then returned locally, all sorts of weird stuff. I don't know if the tracking system is at fault or people error. Either way it often adds days to actual delivery.
Of course for most things it does not matter, but for some things I want/need right away it's a royal pain. Life in a rural area.
OK I'll quit making a train wreck out of the thread.

Yes they do. But most orders from Amazon, depending on size, have USPS tracking numbers. Larger items, and those shipped direct from manufacturer are often shipped either FedEx or UPS.
I haven't figured this whole thing out. Do the people that do some of the deliveries work for Amazon, or do they work for the USPS as "contract employees" or something? BTW they deliver Amazon orders 7 days a week here. (USPS tracking)

OK I have "No Trespassing" signs up at the end of my driveway and at my gate (gate stays open). I used to get some deliveries left at the gate, until I put up a sign that said "Deliveries Welcome At Side Door".
You know a regular USPS mail carrier is going to ignore the No Trespassing signs as will FedEx and UPS.

But when USPS tracking numbers/informed delivery say a package is at the local post office for days, something is wrong wrong wrong. In fact deliveries from the USPS are getting more and more inconsistent.

Well it's all a rant about nothing, really, since there's apparently not even anyone to complain to.
I hear you Boonie Mandrix. It's at least good to know that USPS isn't your only option if UPS chooses to go on strike.

Haha indeed!!! :unsure::ROFLMAO:
You can't argue with science!!
I used to think that, but then I saw a posting that made me reconsider. It was about what you have to do to get the music into 44.1 kHz, which is the filtering of frequencies above 22 kHz, which in turns also slightly changes the timing of the sounds below that frequency (getting into the realm of quantum physics there...). And that  probably is what people refer to when they say that they're hearing a difference between CD quality and higher sampling frequencies.

Personally, I doubt I'll be able to hear it, but higher sampling frequencies do seem to be a bit more than snake oil to me.

It's claimed by JVC that the prep/mastering process is different from other methods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Resolution_Compact_Disc#Mastering_process

K2 is a mastering step that would be different if a 16-bit master wasn't supplied. But as far as the actual disc creation goes, the data doesn't change with SHM or XRCD. Depending on your system, they *might* make a difference when playing back discs directly, but the end result will be 100% identical when ripping (and playing back the subsequent files).

K2 is a mastering step that would be different if a 16-bit master wasn't supplied. But as far as the actual disc creation goes, the data doesn't change with SHM or XRCD. Depending on your system, they *might* make a difference when playing back discs directly, but the end result will be 100% identical when ripping (and playing back the subsequent files).
I certainly can't hear any difference in the few XRCD I've listened to.

SHM = SHM-CD, or Super High Material CD, is an improved version of the Compact Disc material that uses super quality, enhanced transparency polycarbonate material developed for use in LCD screens.

It's just more of a protective coating than anything else IMO, readability is at question also as your laser either reads the 1's & 0's or it doesn't.

I own about 5 dozen JVC XRCD 24/32 bit remastered CDs and to my ears and on my equipment they are exceptional replications of the master tapes. SHM~CD, Blu~Spec and UHQ CDs depending on the source material simply do not have the gravitas of JVC's superior mastering chain.

I have said on many occasions that if ALL CDs were mastered uilizing JVC's superior XRCD technology ..... they would even give Stereo SACDs a run for their money. The only drawback with JVC's XRCDs .... their list price of $40 per disc! Way too rich for the average buyer!!!!!!

Oh, screw BS, so to speak, I've decided to go with Marpow and just ordered from CDJapan. Hell yea, it's expensive, but I do believe, sound aside, SHM may have a longer life than a regular CD. That argument in another thread, of course 8'). I have the WHO'S NEXT on stereo SHM and it is heavenly still to listen to, although I suppose this may give me a duplicate. (Hmm -- compare the old stereo SHMCD to the new? that's an interesting thought . . . different mix?)

Now, as a retiree, I start my rice and beans diet for the next few months to balance the budget. Don't approach me upwind.

Last edited:
You know, I've signed up for the email thing at importcds various times & have never gotten the 10% link🤔
That price at importcds is headed in the right direction, down!
FWIW, I'm out on this boxed set till it gets well under $200.
If it never does, then that's OK. I can live without it, thank you!
i can hook you up with a 10 percent off one if you gonna buy it from importcds :).

I own about 5 dozen JVC XRCD 24/32 bit remastered CDs and to my ears and on my equipment they are exceptional replications of the master tapes. SHM~CD, Blu~Spec and UHQ CDs depending on the source material simply do not have the gravitas of JVC's superior mastering chain.

I have said on many occasions that if ALL CDs were mastered uilizing JVC's superior XRCD technology ..... they would even give Stereo SACDs a run for their money. The only drawback with JVC's XRCDs .... their list price of $40 per disc! Way too rich for the average buyer!!!!!!
I have, ripped, a fair amount of XRCD discs, though time has not permitted listening in detail yet, almost all Japanese jazz. (I seldom use a disc player, just pc optical for ripping)
As long as the ripping was accurate, there should be no difference in sound from the physical discs. I will have to look and see if I have any discs in "standard" CD format for comparisons.

I was mostly just looking for opinions, I have read the tech behind SHM/XRCD.

Thanks to all who replied! I'll stop now and we'll all wait on Lifehouse.

Interesting. How would you rate CD Vs SHM-CD Vs XRCD?

I recently picked up a batch of XRCD but no time to listen yet. I know a lot of people like SHM-CD.
Good question.
I think I only have one XRCD a Hall & Oates? So I can't comment on those.
First, the naysayers will always pipe in and say it's just 16bit/44.1Khz a waste of money, let them be.
I have a few opinions having purchased many SHM CD's. Sometimes by luck, by there in a Japanese packing, box sets, mini LP's, etc.
They are a little thicker plastic, if you have a CD slot in a car, many times the SHM CD will get stuck coming out just for that tiny bit of thickness.
When a person buys anything Japanese produced the quality, packaging, etc. is better. The big box sets come with an outer plastic fitting sleeve protector that you get no where else.
But what about the sound?
My personal opinion is that they have a better midrange and the low end plays a little softer, more analog, I guess you would say.
The Dynamic Range is equal mostly to it's RBCD brother, generally, never worse, occasionally a little better.
I have had some Blu Spec CD's over the years and I think they are good to.
All and all it is just one big crap shoot and to each his own.
Then there is the question of CD players, of course there are better rated then others.
Being we are on the big The Who box set coming, my logic is I want to get the best version of what is available, only on these big iconic releases, like The Beatles, etc.

Last edited:
Back