WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO it's best not to conflate SHM-CD with XRCDs as they are like apples & pears. I can believe that a SHM-CD may sound better than a regular CD when played directly, because of the material it is made of and its different coating. Once ripped I believe a SHM-CD sounds the same as a regular CD as its physical make up is no longer relevant.
XRCDs are a different kettle of fish & IMHO usually sound better than SHM-CDs & regular CDs, even when ripped.
Added to this are the HDCDs, which will give you 20bits rather than 16bits, if played with a HDCD decoder, even in software, once ripped. These last sound the best to my ears.
Disagree. Whatever the player will produce, when ripped to digital should stay pretty much the same, unless something was introduced in the chain to change it.

IMHO it's best not to conflate SHM-CD with XRCDs as they are like apples & pears. I can believe that a SHM-CD may sound better than a regular CD when played directly, because of the material it is made of and its different coating. Once ripped I believe a SHM-CD sounds the same as a regular CD as its physical make up is no longer relevant.
XRCDs are a different kettle of fish & IMHO usually sound better than SHM-CDs & regular CDs, even when ripped.
Added to this are the HDCDs, which will give you 20bits rather than 16bits, if played with a HDCD decoder, even in software, once ripped. These last sound the best to my ears.
It doesn't really work that way, for any of these silly technologies.

For example,20 bits in your delivery format doesn't matter if the recording itself doesn't span the dynamic range represented by 20 bits. Good luck finding any releases that do.

For the 10 millionth time: what we hear are differences in mastering.

Wilson says on his Facebook page that the ATMOS mix will be available on the streaming services.
It's such a shame that his stereo mix isn't available as widely. I actually started getting into surround sound after exploring new stereo mixes of albums I've previously heard, with Steven Wilson being the propagator of many of those mixes.

One can play ripped HDCDs via a Windows PC with a HDCD plugin for Foobar. I can't help in any other circumstances. XRCDs play same as regular CDs. They sound better to my ears only because of their better mastering.
IIRC dBpoweramp can decode HDCD. All the simplest ways are via Windows, rather than Apple, as HDCD was a Microsoft invention.

I was saddened when the latest players no longer list HDCD. That's why I got an older player to replace my last one.

Back to the Who, the UPS strike is over, apparently. I went with Fed-Ex from CDJapan, as they have been reliable in my area.

I watched the old Lifehouse DVD last night. The picture sucked and sometimes the sound was atrocious, but I really enjoyed a few songs. Also loved Pete hammering on all those acoustic guitars. Orchestra wasn't too shabby either. A guy playing electric guitar was pretty darn good as well, didn't catch his name.

Getting psyched up!
The Electric Guitarist is Phil Palmer. He's so good!! Shame about Bargain when someone (possibly Pete himself) goes way out of time with the click track!! Great concert.

For those that are going to be "patient" this site might be an option...right now it's at the "list price"...but in the past they have offered sizeable discounts on this type of release....when I went to their site a popup offered me 20% off to get emails from them...now that might not apply to this offering...but like I said...if you are weighing your options and aren't interested in being one of the first to receive this set...then this might be an option...after the "proposed" release date in September Black Friday is not that far away...so this could open up some options HERE

This might be an option for some of those "across the pond"
Did a quick search and grooves.land are based in Germany, so anything over £135 attracts both VAT & Import Duty and also on the P&P - don't think I've ordered from them before, might have, its the mountains fault I can't remember!

BTW they didn't get that good a Trust Pilot rating

Did a quick search and grooves.land are based in Germany, so anything over £135 attracts both VAT & Import Duty and also on the P&P - don't think I've ordered from them before, might have, its the mountains fault I can't remember!

BTW they didn't get that good a Trust Pilot rating
I have only ordered from them once...I knew they were located in Germany...but it appears I need to go back to college so I can understand this VAT and Import Duty mess :unsure:

And caveat emptor applies.

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/grooves.landhttps://www.resellerratings.com/store/GROOVES_INChttps://www.complaintsboard.com/groovesland-b132738https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.grooves.land
If you feel good about ordering from them, kudos to you. I hope your order comes out A-OK and you've saved some money.

But for me, spending ~$50 more for piece of mind in buying from a known, trustworthy source is well worth it. And with Amazon's pre-order pricing policy, if/when the price comes down, savings will be passed on.
I've ordered from them four times in the past with zero issues and delivered in a timely manner. I like that I don't have to pay for shipping nor do I have to pay taxes. Amazon wanted to charged me over $30.00 in taxes. My total price from Grooves.land shipped to Chicago was $246.13.

Burning Shed is now listing it (finally) at 275 pounds -- which, given the exchange rate, is slightly more expensive than
the SHM-CD version I purchased from CDJapan! And that's not counting shipping, which I included for CDJapan.

Meanwhile, I was excited to see a Dolby Atmos XTC!!! bought 8')

[edit: interestingly, I found Who's Next on Burning Shed through the just-arrived email newsletter, but it is not listed on the site yet!]

https://burningshed.com/artists/the-who/the-who_whos-next-life-house_boxset

Last edited:
$300 for one freakin' Bluray I am dying for and a box full of chaff. I am really getting sick of being played for a chump by these labels. But they know I'm not gonna skip it. Makes me V for Vendetta kind of angry.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 4.05.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 4.05.01 PM.png
    738.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 3.48.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 3.48.24 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back