Worst Hit Radio Single Ever Recorded

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I nominate Starship's "We Built This City" for the title of "worst hit single ever recorded".

Oh yeah... that. Part of this being expectations from these artists of course.

In that spirit, I'll mention Asia - Heat Of The Moment
Expected a psychedelic avant garde progressive mishmash of Yes/King Crimson/ELP. Did not get that! :(

So, I posted We Are the World in the "Best Single Ever" thread, clearly winning. I mean, Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie & Quincy Jones writing and producing? Plus, a plethora of singing talent. Notable moments by Michael Jackson, Cindi Lauper, Ray Charles and others. Excellent, tasteful musicianship.

Now, to my chagrin, I most post this 25th Anniversary re-recording in the "Worst Ever" thread. What a contrast in singing talent from the original version to the latter. With the exception of Celine Dion, P!nk, Tony Bennett and maybe a few others (mainly stars from the 70's and 80's anyway), the "singing" is rarely tolerable. Especially the auto-tuned stuff. The musicianship isn't quite as good a fit for the piece either, IMO. I appreciate some of the differences they strove for, but feel it mostly falls flat. Some of the contributors that make sense, at least on paper, just aren't utilized to their full potential. Just a very disappointing effort, for me. The original fires on all cylinders. Even if it stays around a little longer than a single should, it's fun to hear how each main artist tackles the passage in their own way.

So, I posted We Are the World in the "Best Single Ever" thread, clearly winning. I mean, Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie & Quincy Jones writing and producing? Plus, a plethora of singing talent. Notable moments by Michael Jackson, Cindi Lauper, Ray Charles and others. Excellent, tasteful musicianship.

Now, to my chagrin, I most post this 25th Anniversary re-recording in the "Worst Ever" thread. What a contrast in singing talent from the original version to the latter. With the exception of Celine Dion, P!nk, Tony Bennett and maybe a few others (mainly stars from the 70's and 80's anyway), the "singing" is rarely tolerable. Especially the auto-tuned stuff. The musicianship isn't quite as good a fit for the piece either, IMO. I appreciate some of the differences they strove for, but feel it mostly falls flat. Some of the contributors that make sense, at least on paper, just aren't utilized to their full potential. Just a very disappointing effort, for me. The original fires on all cylinders. Even if it stays around a little longer than a single should, it's fun to hear how each main artist tackles the passage in their own way.

Ha. Missed that one. They autotuned some of the artists and it was apparent?! Wow, that's just cringy awkward!

Yes, a style popularized by T-Pain, Autotune the News and many younger "artists" for the last decade or so.
:(

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
Oh, using it for that (heavily abused) vocoder effect. That's... even more cringy then!

Heh. Someone should just come out on stage with one of those old style cassette machines with the piano key controls and just theatrically press play for every verse and not even try to lip sync or live tune. Just mocking. Stay in character and do the whole show that way. Bored look on their face. Press play at the start of the verse. Press stop at the end. Stay in character 'vibing' to the show and all but just deadpan with the tape recorder. (It would be a prop of course and they'd just play the canned vocals.)

Last edited:
Do The Freddie - Freddie & The Dreamers.
Hideous faux Mersey Beat parasitic abortion with Freddie shtick of jump a foot off the ground, randomly throwing his arms and legs out with a leering grin.
As an entertainment concept right up there with Pink Lady & Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Back