4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In any case, these Quadio releases are sourced from discrete 4-channel master tapes, not matrixed 2-channel tapes.
I know that. But there are other releases that are matrix decoded, eg one album on the recent Dutton Vocalion Isley Brothers SACD.

How does everyone listen to their Quadios?

I use a 4.1 system (I know, to be historically accurate, I should use a 4.0 system w/4 full range speakers).

Kirk Bayne

only one was ever mixed that way

yeah, same here, i suspect those who complain should examine their equipment, or their ears, no intention of offending, I think the quadio's sound great. I have the regular stereo "remastered re issues" of some of the quadio titles and the quadio's are head and shoulders above them.
I suspect maybe we do know our ears and equipment,no offense.
The dvd-a of Billion Dollar Babies remix sounds much better than the recent Quadio remaster bluray
And personally I don't bother with stereo remasters if I've got the surround version so that's not relevant at all.
I do hope we can discuss Quadio without ad hominem attacks.

I use a 4.1 system (I know, to be historically accurate, I should use a 4.0 system w/4 full range speakers).

Kirk Bayne
I listen on my 5.2.2 atmos system, the quadios only use the fronts, rears and subs so no tinkering with settings

Kirk Bayne
Curious what receiver/amp you're using. I have a vintage system, but I'd love to get a .1 in there. My speakers need to be smaller bookshelf size due to the size of the room. The Quadios sound awesome in just the 4.0 though. But a little more bass never hurt anyone.

Kirk Bayne
My room is pretty well covered in the build thread. My source player is an Oppo 105, my pre-pro is a Marantz 7701, my fronts are Emotive Stealth 8 studio monitirs. My back channels are Realistic Minimus 7s driven by an Akai 75W stereo amp.

Turns out that my main seating has high backs, so the best surround listening spot is actually in the second row.

For the time being, the system is 5.1. I have installed ceiling speakers for Atmos, because it felt like a good idea to do that while I was building up the room, but getting the gear to decode and power them is down on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious what receiver/amp you're using. I have a vintage system

I updated my About section today with info about my (eventually) 3 home theater systems, on my bedroom system, my Quadios are played with Hafler matrix decoding (after being encoded into Dolby Surround by my Sony Blu-ray player).

Kirk Bayne

Curious what receiver/amp you're using. I have a vintage system, but I'd love to get a .1 in there. My speakers need to be smaller bookshelf size due to the size of the room. The Quadios sound awesome in just the 4.0 though. But a little more bass never hurt anyone.
I had the exact same problem. The quadio discs were all sounding great but a bit thin on the bass side until my upgrade this week from an old Onkyo (15 years at least) to a new Yamaha. If you read the Quadio booklet, it says if you have satellite speakers you'll need to 'engage the bass management'. My old Onkyo had no bass management to engage (I could increase bass from the AVR, but that's no good if you don't have a signal going to the sub in the first place). I thought I had bookshelf speakers but the guy who installed my new heights (which I got as well) very confidently said they were in fact satellites. So you may have the same issue as me. My Quadio discs now sound appropriately bassy (varying, dependent on each disc and, I assume, the original engineer's decision).

BTW, in case it helps, when I decided to upgrade my new AVR, I went for a package option offered by the hifi store that included installing heights as well (I had thought Atmos was still years away for me), and the bloke who installed them said that buying the AVR and heights together was way, way cheaper than separately adding heights at some later date. Basically, the installation was free.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
my Quadios are played with Hafler matrix decoding (after being encoded into Dolby Surround by my Sony Blu-ray player).
Curious Mr. Bayne, why do you not listen to the Quadios discretely straight from the Bluray player? It feels a bit sacrilege to encode, then a Hafler circuit, on these Quadio babies.

Last edited:
Curious Mr. Bayne, why do you not listen to the Quadios discretely straight from the Bluray player?

I'm using my old Pioneer SX-2300 stereo receiver (+ Hafler decoder) in my bedroom system (I listen to my Quadios in DTS discrete quad using my Pioneer VSX-D514 receiver in my basement home theater system).

Anyone have any more speculation as to what the 2024-05 Quadio titles will be?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I'm using my old Pioneer SX-2300 stereo receiver (+ Hafler decoder) in my bedroom system (I listen to my Quadios in DTS discrete quad using my Pioneer VSX-D514 receiver in my basement home theater system).

Anyone have any more speculation as to what the 2024-05 Quadio titles will be?

Kirk Bayne
Sappy as they might be, the Best of Bread would likely be a big seller. Have you seen the prices online for the Audio Fidelity SACD? 😳 It must be popular.

Sappy as they might be, the Best of Bread would likely be a big seller. Have you seen the prices online for the Audio Fidelity SACD? 😳 It must be popular.
But…. A boatload of the sales of this title have been made. Let’s say AF sold 3,000 - 4,000 of the Bread title, then that’s a chunk of sales Rhino would not capture even if a number of folks would pay $100 for it at the moment. It might not do as well as a fresh new title on Quadio. It could do great but there is a bigger gamble for sure.

The Billy Cobham seems to be a 2,000 pressing run, never seen a # number higher on that title. Might be less risky to reissued. The reissue game is a lot of speculation.

But…. A boatload of the sales of this title have been made. Let’s say AF sold 3,000 - 4,000 of the Bread title, then that’s a chunk of sales Rhino would not capture even if a number of folks would pay $100 for it at the moment. It might not do as well as a fresh new title on Quadio. It could do great but there is a bigger gamble for sure.

The Billy Cobham seems to be a 2,000 pressing run, never seen a # number higher on that title. Might be less risky to reissued. The reissue game is a lot of speculation.
I see your point. I guess if you spent $100 on the AF Bread You're not going to bother with another Blu-ray for $25.

I see your point. I guess if you spent $100 on the AF Bread You're not going to bother with another Blu-ray for $25.
I wonder if there is a better tape to master from than the AF SACD used. I could maybe hear some degradation in certain tracks. Maybe there are the individual song reels and they can reassemble the album and remaster? I didn’t say anything at the time, but I felt it could have had slightly better sound quality to be honest.

But yeah it may be all tapped out, and maybe not. Maybe just a couple thousand?

Last edited:
Maybe, in a perfect (quad) world, eventually ALL the original quads in the WEA/Rhino vaults will be reissued on Blu-ray Quadios. 😁
I was a "subscription" holder with AF and my number was in the 1,200's (I don't remember the exact number as I unfortunately sold that collection a couple of years ago). My point is, I don't know how many subscribers AF had but I assume it was more than 1,200 so to try and guess what the true demand is for any of their titles is a bit random other than looking at their availability/price on the secondary market. I remember listening to the Bread disc once, being underwhelmed and filed it away...

I have a vintage system, but I'd love to get a .1 in there. My speakers need to be smaller bookshelf size due to the size of the room.

The Polk PSW108 subwoofer I have is small (and still available from a few online sources) and has speaker inputs too.

Kirk Bayne

Back