5.1 BD!! "Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision" 3CD/1BD box set (Experience Hendrix/Legacy) (3/25/2022)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like it Duncan. I checked my order and it was $49.99.

1722027828748.png

Call the Consumer Protection Agency, here is the fine print: 😂

Promotion Terms

Pre-order Price Guarantee
Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order an item eligible for Pre-order Price Guarantee, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date. A pre-order price guarantee message will appear on your Order Summary during the checkout process. If you use 1-Click ordering, the pre-order price guarantee will be automatically applied. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24-48 hours of the price change if your product has not yet shipped. After shipment, the difference between your order price and the lowest price by the end of the release date will be refunded to your account automatically, typically within 24-48 hours following the release date.

Last edited:
The thought that this wasn't just corporate entities going at it and the notion they pulled it to fix an audio mistake seemed like the most absurd fantasy I could suggest!

That altered track sequence with the bonus tracks at the end and Room Full Of Mirrors early in the list! Just have to sit back and see what happens. This is the strangest thing I've ever seen with a release though!

Is there going to be a difference in the Blu-ray mastering, compared to the Blu-ray from the previous set?

I've heard there are issues with that original Blu-ray?

I've got one of the existing Blu-ray on its way to me but it's not arrived, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

What do people think? Are the problems with the original Blu-ray really bad...?...and is there a chance they might have been corrected for this release?

If the blu-ray track list posted is correct, it looks like they put the 5.1 tracks back in the order of the "First Rays of a New Rising Sun" album which is what the back of the blu-ray states the tracks are from plus 3 extras. As others have noted, the version of Room Full of Mirrors used on the First Rays album (and originally on Rainbow Bridge) is not the version that was used for the 5.1 version. I hope they corrected that for the 'revised & official' blu-ray in the set.

Is there going to be a difference in the Blu-ray mastering, compared to the Blu-ray from the previous set?

I've heard there are issues with that original Blu-ray?

I've got one of the existing Blu-ray on its way to me but it's not arrived, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

What do people think? Are the problems with the original Blu-ray really bad...?...and is there a chance they might have been corrected for this release?
YTBD 🤞

Honestly, I'll be shocked if this release turns out to even be real!
If it comes out with fidelity at least matching the Electric Ladyland 5.1 remix (if not matching the original stereo mixes) and the Room Full of Mirrors upmix replaced with a real mix of the official track mix I'll be stunned! Again, I was trying to suggest the most implausible thing I could ever say with wishing for that.

How do these 5.1 mixes compare to the streaming Atmos versions?

If they changed the order of the songs on the bluray and made new copies one would think they did more than that like fixing the issues some of us noticed. We'll one would hope.....

If they changed the order of the songs on the bluray and made new copies one would think they did more than that like fixing the issues some of us noticed. We'll one would hope.....
There is an excellent note at the bottom of the track list linked in the review above for the "new" blu ray that explains the revised order of the tracks.

There also is no mention of stereo versions, FWIW.

Tracks 1-17 released as First Rays of the New Rising Sun - Experience Hendrix/MCA Records MCAD-11599, 1997

Track 18 released on Rainbow Bridge (Original Motion Picture Sound Track) - Reprise MS 2040, 1971

Track 19 released on The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Experience Hendrix/MCA Records 088 112 316-2, 2000

Track 20 released on Valleys of Neptune - Experience Hendrix/Legacy 88697 64056-2, 2010

First Rays of the New Rising Sun + bonus tracks (5.1 Surround Mixes)

1. Freedom
  2. Izabella
  3. Night Bird Flying
  4. Angel
  5. Room Full of Mirrors
  6. Dolly Dagger
  7. Ezy Ryder
  8. Drifting
  9. Beginnings
  10. Stepping Stone
  11. My Friend
  12. Straight Ahead
  13. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
  14. Earth Blues
  15. Astro Man
  16. In from the Storm
  17. Belly Button Window
  18. Pali Gap
  19. Lover Man
  20. Valleys of Neptune

Last edited:
Actual original releases:
[With Bluray #1 indexes noted]

Rainbow Bridge
[BR1-9] Dolly Dagger
[BR1-16] Earth Blues
[BR1-10] Pali Gap
[BR1-18] Room Full Of Mirrors
The Star Spangled Banner (studio)
Look Over Yonder
Hear My Train A Commin' (live)
[BR1-15] Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)

The Cry Of Love
[BR1-1] Freedon
[BR1-12] Drifting
[BR1-3] Ezy Ryder
[BR1-7] Night Bird Flying
[BR1-8] My Friend
[BR1-11] Straight Ahead
[BR1-19] Astro Man
[BR1-4] Angel
[BR1-17] In From The Storm
[BR1-20] Belly Button Window

War Heroes
Bleeding Heart
Highway Chile
Tax Free
Peter Gunn Catastrophe
[BR1-14] Stepping Stone
Midnight
3 Little Bears
[BR1-13] Beginnings
[BR1-5] Izabella

The new 'rare' tracks are Valleys Of Neptune and the studio Lover Man. Valleys was broadcast on a radio special in the late 70s I think. Eventually officially released on a posthumous album by the same name. I can't remember where or if that studio Lover Man was released before. For some reason I thought this included Drifter's Escape and I was mentioning the Loose Ends album but there's nothing from that here after all.

Hendrix was planning a double album called First Rays of the New Rising Sun with this material. He never finished it before his death and there was never a fully finished (ie sequenced) concept from his hand. These are the 3 main posthumous releases. Also very much not conceived or assembled by his hand! The eventual reissue of some of these tracks with the title First Rays of the New Rising Sun was still not anything conceived by him beyond the title. We don't know how Jimi would have finished this because he ran out of time.

Ok now I want to know when Black Gold is getting released....
Years ago, I'd heard that a group of fanatics met up with Tony Brown and he had, of course, kept a copy of the tape. He played it for those present but it didn't seem that most were paying attention! (Unbelievable!) Whatever the quality, I'd love to hear it but they better put it out before we're all gone

Back