Alan Parsons Project "Pyramid" super-deluxe box set (Atmos & 5.1 BluRay) Aug. 24, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s a turntable? 😉
1718394828816.png

As I said, those are not box sets. They are bundles. Look at the description:
Yes, sir! 🫡 I understand what you’re saying and, technically, you are correct. Bundle. Boxset. It’s similar to me because they’re offering it as a package even if it isn’t in the same box. It usually is at delivery. This offering reminds me of, Let’s Make a Deal. 😂

I regret not buying that Station to Station boxset when it came out. I didn't buy it because of the vinyl and price at the time but when I had a change of heart, they were gone. My only solace was that I heard the mix wasn't good. I hope the powers that be revisit it and remix it in Dolby Atmos & issue it as a stand alone Blu Ray like they are doing with Ziggy.
The only potential problem with the Ziggy atmos mix is that it was done by Ken Scott who produced the worst 5.1 mix i’ve ever heard (of Ziggy), it hasn’t stopped me pre-ordering though as i’m hoping his helper knows what he’s doing 🤞

Interesting. I've placed about a dozen orders with them over the last 2 years and have yet to have any damaged items. Of course, none of the items were large or heavy as this boxed set presumably is, and in my experience the larger or heavier the item, the greater the chance of damage in transit.

I will say that their "gift packaging", at 2,50 euros per shipment, is top notch, at least for smaller items. I've ordered some 3D and 4K steelbooks (very easily dinged/scuffed/dented) and the packaging was well worthwhile. Unlike Amazon's or FNAC's gift packaging, which is just a paper bag (helps prevent scuffs and scrapes but not dents/dings), the JPC gift packaging is a corrugated cardboard wrap enclosure for each item, at least it was for the steelbooks; I have no idea what they would use for a box set of this size.
Yah, these were the larger items like Ultravox's Quartet
https://i.ibb.co/Wx9WJWJ/1v22.jpg

I'm pretty confident that a standalone blu-ray will follow the big box set sales run - just like the previous releases - but it easily could take several months to a year to happen. In any case, I'm done buying box sets packed with unwanted vinyl along with cd's of demos and dodgy live material that might get a single listen, most of which could be packed onto a single blu-ray along with multiple mixes of the main album anyway.

With so much spatial audio material appearing on streaming, the surround landscape is fundamentally changing, at least for me. Yes, it's not the same as owning physical releases and the sound quality is not quite as good as physical playback, but its good enough that FOMO is substantially reduced. And I won't continue rewarding companies and artists gouging the fans.

I'm pretty confident that a standalone blu-ray will follow the big box set sales run - just like the previous releases - but it easily could take several months to a year to happen.
I doubt and hope it won't be that long.
David Gilmour can see the light and has offered us a standalone for his next BD since day one.
With so much spatial audio material appearing on streaming, the surround landscape is fundamentally changing, at least for me.
Yep, the times they are a-changin. :LB

I will be waiting this out for the stand alone Blu-ray. Same as I did for TOAFC and Ammonia Avenue.
I'll be waiting for this one. I bought the lightly less than deluxe Turn of a Friendly Card and never listen to the CDs or the rips. The blue-ray is all I need.

I do wonder why ToaFC didn't get the same treatment as Pyramid and the previous rereleases received.

Bull Moose has it listed but it's no cheaper than Amazon.

A couple of things have me concerned here. Dozens of people (myself included) have been asking about a stand-alone blu-ray on their Facebook page and the comments have been ignored. In the past they have responded (and responded positively) to these inquiries.

Also, this is the first APP reissue to be released by Cooking Vinyl. Perhaps Cooking Vinyl isn't open to the idea of stand-alone blu-rays?

Hopefully my paranoia isn't justified and we'll see a cheaper alternative down the road.

:oops::unsure:

Bull Moose has it listed but it's no cheaper than Amazon.

A couple of things have me concerned here. Dozens of people (myself included) have been asking about a stand-alone blu-ray on their Facebook page and the comments have been ignored. In the past they have responded (and responded positively) to these inquiries.

Also, this is the first APP reissue to be released by Cooking Vinyl. Perhaps Cooking Vinyl isn't open to the idea of stand-alone blu-rays?

Hopefully my paranoia isn't justified and we'll see a cheaper alternative down the road.

:oops::unsure:
😒 Yeah, nah, I'm just not gonna bite at that price for that T.O.M.B.S....

I need to see a stand-alone BD!

Saw Alan last night in Nashville, he talked up the Pyramid box set, coming out in August. Oddly, no mention of it on his alanparsons.com website. I should have asked hm about a stand alone release - based on Eye in the Sky 35th and Tales of Mystery and Imagination 40th, I'd assume there would be.

Attachments

• IMG_6556.jpeg
    IMG_6556.jpeg
    832.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think that website is generally more focusing on his new music and band. https://www.the-alan-parsons-project.com is the website for the Project.
I saw that - lots of versions and boxes, some w/ signed art prints by Alan... which is why, along with the fact that he has the Eye in the Sky and Tales surround titles on his own site, I thought he'd at least have an affiliate link or a press release/splashpage promoting it.

Back