BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fly by Night seems to be the same mastering, but I haven't checked properly.

Yes it has been reported that it is.

Apparently the Rush BR-A will just be reissues of the Sectors 2011 masterings, not the new and less compressed 2015 analogue masterings.

It's almostike they gave up on any possible future surround releases. I wonder if the sales from previous issue sets had anything to do with their decision? Or, perhaps the feedback?

It's almostike they gave up on any possible future surround releases. I wonder if the sales from previous issue sets had anything to do with their decision? Or, perhaps the feedback?

The least Universal can do is actually release full (and correct) disc information for their forthcoming titles so people actually know what they are getting.
If they are trying to actively market these HFPA discs to surround fans now, they are doing a pretty lackluster job of it if you ask me when we have a title like "Slippery When Wet" coming out in a few days, and yet based on their non-existent pre-release info, we can't answer a simple question of whether the existing surround mix is actually on the disc or not!

I just hope for at least "The Seeds of Love" (from Tears for Fears) along with any and all Roxy Music albums in surround that they care to throw our way. Besides that, any other incredible new or unreleased surround mixes they throw our way are added bonuses.

Never got the Sector box sets so I'll get all the Rush HFPA's (even more so now I've got a BD burner and can rip to the computermabob.. hehe.. :flame ) :xp:

The 2015 remasterings might sound better to you. They are truly amazing. But they only exist as downloads...

One question that struck my mind today is: Will Universal re-release DVD-A titles if the surround masters are lower than 96 kHz (or 88.2 kHz)?

So far, all HFPA releases have been at least at that quality level, so would that eliminate reissues of certain discs that don't meet the quality standards?

One question that struck my mind today is: Will Universal re-release DVD-A titles if the surround masters are lower than 96 kHz (or 88.2 kHz)?

So far, all HFPA releases have been at least at that quality level, so would that eliminate reissues of certain discs that don't meet the quality standards?

They'll probably just upsample the 44.1kHz or 48kHz surround mixes to 96kHz.
For the couple Genesis titles, they took the SACD DSD files and converted them to 96kHz, with ultrasonic noise intact... These were mixed to 48kHz originally, as the digital frequency cut-off suggests.
Also, though not the same "issue", Bob Marley's Legend was mixed analogue from 44.1kHz copies of the mulitracks.

Looks like Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet HFPA (BDA) has the same mix as the DVD-A. DR readings and levels are as good as identical although the bitrate is higher on the BDA (below):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Bon Jovi / Slippery When Wet (5.1 96kHz)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR11 0.00 dB -11.72 dB 5:34 01-Let It Rock
DR11 0.00 dB -11.56 dB 3:51 02-You Give Love a Bad Name
DR11 0.00 dB -11.71 dB 5:06 03-Livin' On a Prayer
DR11 0.00 dB -11.64 dB 4:19 04-Social Disease
DR11 0.00 dB -13.25 dB 5:12 05-Wanted Dead Or Alive
DR10 0.00 dB -10.69 dB 5:00 06-Raise Your Hands
DR11 0.00 dB -11.62 dB 3:51 07-Without Love
DR10 0.00 dB -10.96 dB 4:31 08-I'd Die For You
DR11 0.00 dB -12.51 dB 5:23 09-Never Say Goodbye
DR10 0.00 dB -11.37 dB 4:01 10-Wild In the Streets

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 8636 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

I also took the opportunity to re-request Blu-Ray releases of "Avalon", "Boys & Girls", any Elton John titles, and unreleased surround mixes on their Facebook page.

http://www.amazon.com/Nirvana-Blu-Ray-Pure-Audio/dp/B00VQZ3BPO/

Looks like an upcoming HFPA Blu-Ray release will be a reissue of Nirvana's compilation "Nirvana".
This will probably be stereo-only, given the stereo-only Blu-Rays of "Nevermind" and "In Utero", but if they did manage to do surround mixes for this compilation, all the better for us! (But I still wouldn't count on it…) :)

http://www.amazon.com/Nirvana-Blu-Ray-Pure-Audio/dp/B00VQZ3BPO/

Looks like an upcoming HFPA Blu-Ray release will be a reissue of Nirvana's compilation "Nirvana".
This will probably be stereo-only, given the stereo-only Blu-Rays of "Nevermind" and "In Utero", but if they did manage to do surround mixes for this compilation, all the better for us! (But I still wouldn't count on it…) :)

I actually spoke to Bob Ludwig, years ago, about mastering that compilation. He was not free to do what he wanted, and thus it came out compressed. New mixes/ mastering would be great but there is NO CHANCE of that, too many people including Courtney Love would have to approve it.

Does anyone else on here (besides me) think that "Gaucho" would be a great album for Universal to reissue this year on HFPA Blu-Ray Audio?

I know it's already had an SACD and DVD-A release, but it's still an amazing mix, and I think it would be another great high profile title for Universal to keep this series rolling along with.

Especially since this year is the album's 35th anniversary! :)

Though I know I've said it before...I would be much more excited to hear news about albums from a band like Radiohead being reissued in 5.1....rather than revisiting the classics over and over and over again.

Though I know I've said it before...I would be much more excited to hear news about albums from a band like Radiohead being reissued in 5.1....rather than revisiting the classics over and over and over again.

I agree, but it's difficult to request what we don't know is already there.
Not to mention that concerning your specific example (Radiohead), they seem like they're one of the last bands on earth to really care about releasing their material in 5.1 surround, but I still hope it happens one day. Man, they're great!

Going back to reissuing older titles, Queen's "The Game" might be another one that's ripe for a reissue on Blu-Ray as well. :)

Back