Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember enjoying this movie when I was a kid. Of course, this was before Disney cancelled it. Speaking as a black American, I don’t recall me or anyone else I know being offended by the portrayal of Uncle Remus.
I suppose, Mr. E. that some were offended calling it racial stereotyping and thus the uber sensitive Disney Corporation pulled it from circulation. I loved the film too

I suppose, Mr. E. that some were offended calling it racial stereotyping and thus the uber sensitive Disney Corporation pulled it from circulation. I loved the film too

I wonder how many people found Walter Brennan in “The Real McCoys” to be offensive. Or any of the characters in “The Beverly Hillbillies”? I’m guessing none.

If you can't tell that that is a pretty blatant racist stereotype, then I don't know what to tell you.
Song of the South was made 7 years after the Premiere of GONE WITH THE WIND and I don't believe there was awareness of racial stereotyping at the time especially since the radio and later TV show AMOS 'N ANDY was a huge hit at the time.

06-Amos-and-Andy.jpg | Tv shows, Classic tv, Movie stars

I recall when Blake Edward's BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S premiered there was probably a bigger backlash waged against casting Mickey Rooney as Holly Golightly's downstairs wacky Japanese neighbor

R.844742a055007b90a56d1afaeb4753a4

At the time these films were made I don't believe racial stereotyping wasn't as big an issue. I'm of Italian descent and some of the portrayals of Italians have been batshit crazy over the top and I never once found it offensive.

I take all with a grain of salt!
What have the Romans ever done for us...............

.... well apart from the roads, the aquaducts, the ...... they gave us Salaries, derived from salarium - a soldiers partial payment in salt!

If you can't tell that that is a pretty blatant racist stereotype, then I don't know what to tell you.
I get your point but there’s a plethora of movies and music that don’t stand the test of time. It’s almost impossible to go back and look at these works with the same general sensibilities that existed back when they were released. A list of works that would not be released in 2024 would be virtually endless.

hell ,even what I considered the best of the "CENSORED ELEVEN" (WB cartoons) "Coal Black and de sebben dwarves" was created by the director, Bob Clampett, as an HOMAGE to the Black culture, he used to frequent the clubs and used a bunch of the musicians for the soundtrack...it was premiered in a Black Community Cinema and it got a STANDING ovation...they know it was honoring them, yes, nowadays we know the stereotyping is wrong but we all need to be tolerant, something that nowadays is running VERY LOW!
Hey, I am a puertorrican and I hate West Side Story because Lenny did not even try to incorporate ANY latin rhythms into the music but, hey, I won't diss it cause I know a lot of people love it...

I recall when Blake Edward's BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S premiered there was probably a bigger backlash waged against casting Mickey Rooney as Holly Golightly's downstairs wacky Japanese neighbor

R.844742a055007b90a56d1afaeb4753a4
As well it should have. "Yellowface," like blackface, is worse than casting actors of the matching race/ethnicity in a heavily stereotyped role. Both are bad, but one is definitely worse.

Ethnicities are part of who we all are. While I’m not particularly sensitive about my German ancestry, I see all sorts of ethnicity demonstrated in films. Yes, it can be offensive, like Amos and Andy, but how about the landlord/handler in “No Way Out?” Is it likely that a Russian would find it offensive, because the accent is over the top?

Has anyone seen “Porgy and Bess?” Stereotypes all over the place, but it’s also pretty accurate in its portrayal of the dialect in many black communities.

I don’t believe “Song of the South” deserves obscurity. Amos and Andy probably does, although it was a program that allowed the new medium of radio to survive and prosper.

Ethnicities are part of who we all are. While I’m not particularly sensitive about my German ancestry, I see all sorts of ethnicity demonstrated in films. Yes, it can be offensive, like Amos and Andy, but how about the landlord/handler in “No Way Out?” Is it likely that a Russian would find it offensive, because the accent is over the top?

Has anyone seen “Porgy and Bess?” Stereotypes all over the place, but it’s also pretty accurate in its portrayal of the dialect in many black communities.

I don’t believe “Song of the South” deserves obscurity. Amos and Andy probably does, although it was a program that allowed the new medium of radio to survive and prosper.
Amos and Andy was a couple of white guys on the radio. They hired black actors for the TV show(I believe that we were pretty well past the era of blackface by that time). Also, back then there was a significant black viewing audience as there were so few black actors on television (or in movies).

You can try to rewrite history to make it look more appealing but it doesn’t work. Birth Of A Nation and Gone With The Wind, however regrettable, are both recognized as milestones in the history of cinema. The history of the banjo is inseparable from the history of minstrel shows and blackface. Rhiannon Giddens, who owns a historically accurate fretless banjo called a “minstrel banjo,” can be found on YouTube speaking openly about this. As an ethnomusicologist you would expect no less from her. Likewise, Leon Redbone acknowledges this when discussing the early fingerstyle blues repertoire.

Life is complicated and often messy.

The show ran from 1951-’53, under the name The Amos ‘n’ Andy Show, 65 episodes in all, sponsored by the Blatz Brewing Company, and aired on CBS.

It was a huge hit on early TV!

But because of complaints from the NAACP, the show was eventually canceled!

https://www.blackhistory.com/2021/01/amos-n-andy-first-ever-black-television-sitcom.html

LUV IT when you speak Latin to me, Dunc! Took 4 years of it in high school and came away with my own self concocted phrase:

Veni, Vidi, Cucurri

I CAME, I SAW, I RAN!
I have very very rudimentary Latin, so I cheated, Google Translate is your friend! My late mother was the person I would ask, she taught me some, even at 90 she remembered Latin/French in detail (She did Art/Art History at Uni in the late 1940s, and their education was much more rounded and more difficult, they did all sorts of subjects as part of the course) whereas I as an electronic engineer/physicist can just about order a beer!

I have very very rudimentary Latin, so I cheated, Google Translate is your friend! My late mother was the person I would ask, she taught me some, even at 90 she remembered Latin/French in detail (She did Art/Art History at Uni in the late 1940s, and their education was much more rounded and more difficult, they did all sorts of subjects as part of the course) whereas I as an electronic engineer/physicist can just about order a beer!
Funny thing about Latin, Dunc. In Parochial Grammar School I was an altar boy and I couldn't learn my Latin responses to the then Latin Mass. And then I was unceremoniously 'fired' as an altar boy when the priest tripped over my feet while delivering communion and loudly bellowed in a packed cathedral "Get The Hell Off The Altar!" He actually did me a favor: who the hell wants to get up at 7 AM on a Sunday morning to serve Mass. Thank you FATHER!

And yet in high school...I excelled in the language garnering an A average.

What a difference a year makes especially when dabbling in a MORIBUND LANGUAGE!

Back