SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the reply I received from Rhino.

Thank you for contacting us!

Here is some information regarding shipments to addresses outside the US:

• You will be responsible for any and all import taxes, tariffs and duties which may be levied by your Customs or Government or Other Authority upon any parcel we send to you.
  • Taxes/duties are calculated based on the original retail price of the items in your order and does not include any discounts or promotions.
  • Due to a recent update in customs regulations, shipments to the European Union will be subject to an additional duty charged upon delivery.
    • (Please note: If you refuse delivery, we cannot replace your order as the replacement shipment would also be subject to the same duties upon delivery.)
  • We cannot label shipments to addresses outside the US as “gifts”.
Nothing new there. the problem is that they (Rhino) are collecting the (Canadian) HST (GST + PST) presumably for the Canadian Government. The taxes have all been prepaid! With previous orders I have had no trouble getting a full refund (including brokerage) from Canada Customs. I suspect that they have had a rash of refund requests lately so paying them out reflects badly on them. Refuse the refund and most will not bother to request an appeal.

I have no problem paying taxes, duty and brokerage fees when necessary. I have a major issue with paying taxes on the same order more than once. If Rhino has been instructed to collect taxes then you get charged a second time it should not be up to Rhino to issue a refund but the duty of Canada Customs!

Oddly I just received a refund from CBSA Customs Casual Refund for $5.75. No mention of what order it is for! I think they want to keep me confused!

Nothing new there. the problem is that they (Rhino) are collecting the (Canadian) HST (GST + PST) presumably for the Canadian Government. The taxes have all been prepaid! With previous orders I have had no trouble getting a full refund (including brokerage) from Canada Customs. I suspect that they have had a rash of refund requests lately so paying them out reflects badly on them. Refuse the refund and most will not bother to request an appeal.

I have no problem paying taxes, duty and brokerage fees when necessary. I have a major issue with paying taxes on the same order more than once. If Rhino has been instructed to collect taxes then you get charged a second time it should not be up to Rhino to issue a refund but the duty of Canada Customs!

Oddly I just received a refund from CBSA Customs Casual Refund for $5.75. No mention of what order it is for! I think they want to keep me confused!
I will not order from Rhino again.

Warner Music Canada has all the Rhino product. Unfortunately shipping is fairly steep. Amazon.ca also has some of the Rhino quadio titles.
The only problem is that you have to wait a couple of months for your "pre order" whereas you get it right away from Rhino.

I had shipping problems with WMC, Purolator didn't let me know that I had a shipment ready for pick up and sent it back! WMC sent out a replacement and it was quickly dropped off at the door by Purolator!

The only problem is that you have to wait a couple of months for your "pre order" whereas you get it right away from Rhino.

I had shipping problems with WMC, Purolator didn't let me know that I had a shipment ready for pick up and sent it back! WMC sent out a replacement and it was quickly dropped off at the door by Purolator!
So that was Purolators fault

So that was Purolators fault
I put the blame on both for the shipping fiasco. WMC stated that the order was being shipped soon. I didn't receive any tracking information (via email) at that time. I waited patiently. When I checked on it a month later (via the website) I got the tracking number checked it and found that it was going to be sent back. I rushed down and it had already been sent away. I don't understand why the package couldn't have been turned back around at that point.

Usually Purolator is one of the best shipping methods. I this case they claimed that my postal code was outside their delivery limits (false). They did not mail out a delivery card like they would have in the past. The replacement shipment arrived quickly delivered to the door.

I don't believe that Rhino would be collecting tax if they were not mandated to in the first place. I don't know all the regulations but I seem to remember something about getting (larger) American companies to collect the tax on Canadian shipments. I blame them for not making that clear to Canada Customs.

The advantage of tax being collected by Rhino is that the brokerage fee charged by Canada Post can be avoided. The advantage for the Canadian government is that even low value shipments would get taxed that way.

Perhaps it was an old policy that has since been rescinded as it is difficult to enforce cross border?

I don't believe that Rhino would be collecting tax if they were not mandated to in the first place. I don't know all the regulations but I seem to remember something about getting (larger) American companies to collect the tax on Canadian shipments. I blame them for not making that clear to Canada Customs.
If it is mandated by the government then they shouldn't be collecting as well. It should be assumed that the vendor collected it. Something is wrong somewhere and I want my money back.

Back