Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when Flash came out and it was not warmly received by all. But one reviewer said something along the lines of, “People Get Ready is alone with the price of entry.”

I happen to like a good bit of Flash, but that one song is probably the high point for me. Such a shame we never got another full album with Jeff, Rod and Ronnie.
There were indeed a number of good songs on Flash, some other great vocalists on board. Had a Sony D5 portable CD player rigged up to AUX of head unit but not many CDs yet. Got married in 1985 and we played Jeff Beck - Flash and Sting - Dream Of The Blue Turtles from CASSETTES on our 10,000 mile (5 weeks) honeymoon. Major album CDs were lagging behind at the time, so these became available a few weeks after we got home.

Well
The notes say it was recorded with a single microphone hanging from the ceiling
Plus the printed Impulse sticker on my gatefold CD says mono as it does on the included booklet

@4-earredwonder I think you bought a counterfeit copy!
Who is playing the horn on yours Kenny G?

Well
The notes say it was recorded with a single microphone hanging from the ceiling
Plus the printed Impulse sticker on my gatefold CD says mono as it does on the included booklet

@4-earredwonder I think you bought a counterfeit copy!
Who is playing the horn on yours Kenny G?
Well, Jeffie, I have to concede you're correct. My Coltrane/Dolphy SHM SACD will be shipped to me this week from CDJapan and I have to assume the cover sticker is incorrect as I came across this article from the NEW YORKER review of said album and the pic clearly shows MONO.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...red-realm-of-accomplishment-for-john-coltrane
FYI, Kenny G would've been 5 years old when the Coltrane/Dolpy set was recorded in 1961!

1. Kenny G / Age
    Born Jun 5, 1956

Last edited:
It's not often I'm right about anything.
I thought for a minute maybe there was an alternate stereo recording
Bit I do find some mono really does spread out with software
This has a pleasing sound and does fill the sound field.

Anyways it's about the music and I do enjoy this fortuitous live recording.

Maybe Kenny G was there in the audience....

It's not often I'm right about anything.
I thought for a minute maybe there was an alternate stereo recording
This has a pleasing sound and does fill the sound field.

Anyways it's about the music and I do enjoy this fortuitous live recording.

Maybe Kenny G was there in the audience....
Or in a sand box playing with his Ken Doll!

I remember a handful,of simulated stereo recordings where a graphic equalizer was used to split up the mono recording’s spectrum to left and right. I imagine that would also cause a lot of phase changes to be presented to matrix decoders.

Could be interesting, could be awful.

Cloudy Pool Float Needed After Sweaty Mowing of Grass Random ipad Playlist:

Oz Noy - I Got A Woman
Wood Brothers - Made It Up The Mountain (live)
Blow Up Hollywood - Shine
Ben Folds - Army (live)
Beach House - Wild
Nick Drake - Poor Boy
Rick Miller - The Final Journey
Oz Noy - Eight Days a Week
Richard Thompson - 1952 Black Lightning (live)
Volto! - Quirk
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
The Chills - The Greatest Guide
Adam Holzman - Oslo
Beck - Round the Bend
Al Di Meola - Pomp
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now
Wire Train - Chamber of Hellos

Last edited:
Metallica-...And Justice For All. I remember when I first got this CD, I had a Ford Bronco with giant custom subwoofer in the back. So many people comment on the guitar and drums only, true, bass hard to hear, but LFE comes through pretty good.
This is a rare case where my original CD sounds better than the 24 bit HDtracks I bought.
R-7642596-1445776191-7598.jpg

Back