Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds great CRANKED! (7.1 in Clementland)
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 12.38.50 PM.png

Hiromi Iwasaki
Pandoras Box or
Pandora No Kobako
SACD reissue of CD-4 record on private label for Tower Records Japan
Found a copy in the Shinjuku Tower store in Tokyo
Very good separation all four speakers active.
Enjoyable pop of its era 1978.

Last edited:
mandrix, your last two, the covers look cool. I‘ve never heard them. What type of music?
Well...not the best at categorizing music...If I had to say, Marcus Reuter is sort of "complex" ambient. But lossless instead of the old style ambient that sounds like something being dragged through a synth screeching with pain .
The Dojo tracks are more mellow, also instrumental tracks that are cool for relaxation when you really don't want to think about it. You can go along for the ride and float with the music.
I would suggest looking them both up on the IAA site.
Of the two I would say "Color Dojo" is my favorite by far.

Well...not the best at categorizing music...If I had to say, Marcus Reuter is sort of "complex" ambient. But lossless instead of the old style ambient that sounds like something being dragged through a synth screeching with pain .
The Dojo tracks are more mellow, also instrumental tracks that are cool for relaxation when you really don't want to think about it. You can go along for the ride and float with the music.
I would suggest looking them both up on the IAA site.
Of the two I would say "Dojo" is my favorite by far.
Ok…thanks for the reply!

Shuhei Nojiri Stavinsky: PETRUSHKA/Nojiri: GALAPAGOS SYMPHONY [Denon/MLP DVD~A 5.1] Stavinsky like you've never heard it before. Think Leopold Mozart's THE TOY SYMPHONY.

Every once in awhile, you buy a disc and file it away but since I've set up my new system I've been doing a deep dive into my collection. This disc is extraordinary. Elements of Tomita [synthesizers] and a real orchestra with a UBER DISCRETE SOUND STAGE which at times is exhausting [if that's possible] The sound is extraordinary with the deepest bass and if you can find this disc ..... just buy it. Since the liner notes are ALL in Japanese sorry I cannot offer you any further insights. A new FAVORITE...and a NO brainer DEMO SURROUND DISC!

41B0HA8258L.jpg

Shuhei Nojiri Stavinsky: PETRUSHKA/Nojiri: GALAPAGOS SYMPHONY [Denon/MLP DVD~A 5.1] Stavinsky like you've never heard it before. Think Leopold Mozart's THE TOY SYMPHONY.

Every once in awhile, you buy a disc and file it away but since I've set up my new system I've been doing a deep dive into my collection. This disc is extraordinary. Elements of Tomita [synthesizers] and a real orchestra with a UBER DISCRETE SOUND STAGE which at times is exhausting [if that's possible] The sound is extraordinary with the deepest bass and if you can find this disc ..... just buy it. Since the liner notes are ALL in Japanese sorry I cannot offer you any further insights. A new FAVORITE...and a NO brainer DEMO SURROUND DISC!

41B0HA8258L.jpg
You have a link for this recoRAMdation?

You have a link for this recoRAMdation?
I wish I did Clem. Couldn't find it on discogs and AmazonUS states NO LONGER AVAILABLE! Perhaps BUYEE has a listing. Try that. BTW, Nojiri's original composition GALAPAGOS SYMPHONY with orchestra in equally discrete sonics is likewise GORGEOUS. How this disc slipped through the cracks is mindboggling. LOVE IT LOVE IT L❤️VE IT!

edit: seems Nojiri also has a Respighi dvd audio disc available but it's no longer listed on ebay

Dvd Audio Shuhei Nojiri Respighi Symphonic Poem Roman …

Last edited:
Steven Wilson 41/2. I have not listened to this for a while and the surround is sublime. Not sure I love the music as much as his other work but it's still a good listen. One thing I sometimes find annoying in Steven's music is when he hits the guitar strings hard (and he does it often). I find it an almost piercing harsh sound that is bothersome at times. It seems evident on songs like Happiness lll, but I've noticed it on a number of his cds. Might just be a personal thing.

Cherry Mint DB [Vine Street Records/MLP DVD~A 5.1/RBCD] One of THE MOST ASTOUNDING DISCRETE DISCS I HAVE IN MY COLLECTION. It's not only immersive but ALL ENVELOPING. A precursor to ATMOS?????? Described as DUB Music, this disc, especially conceived for the DVD~Audio format, coasts you along on a kaleidoscopic aural journey projecting sounds way beyond the boundaries of one speakers. Highly Recommended!

https://dbmusic13.bandcamp.com/merch/cherry-mint-dvd-audio-comes-with-cd-as-well

Primary

Stu Goldberg & Cassius Khan DARK CLOUDS [Dedication RecordsMulti~CH SACD] Another deep dive into my collection unearthed this discrete multichannel treasure which was recorded in 2005! When I had my new system installed I was adamant about the necessity for a rear PHANTOM CENTER Channel and this audiophile recording PROVED IT ......Some gorgeous music as well. Guaranteed YOU WILL BE SURROUNDED! Highest Recommendation!

https://www.discogs.com/release/11552083-Stu-Goldberg-And-Cassius-Khan-Dark-Clouds

Primary

Last edited:
Stu Goldberg & Cassius Khan DARK CLOUDS [Dedication RecordsMulti~CH SACD] Another deep dive into my collection unearthed this discrete multichannel treasure which was recorded in 2005! When I had my new system installed I was adamant about the necessity for a rear PHANTOM CENTER Channel and this audiophile recording PROVED IT ......Some gorgeous music as well. Highest Recommendation!

https://www.discogs.com/release/11552083-Stu-Goldberg-And-Cassius-Khan-Dark-Clouds

Primary
LOVING your deep dive and all the links for your recoRAMdations! Keep 'em coming! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Back