Louise Patricia Crane - Netherworld 5.1 DVD-V/CD (featuring Jakko Jakszyk/Mel Collins/Tony Levin/Ian Anderson)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon Canada has the digibook (CD + surround DVD) for CAN$36.44 (free Prime Shipping), but with a release date of July 19. Amazon US only has the CD as far as I can see to be released this Friday, but maybe wait a tad longer to see if they list the digibook? Link:

Netherworld (Amazon Canada)
I've ordered this as well. I notice the label shown on Amazon.ca indicates Dolby Atmos, but presumably this is wrong.

Attachments

• netherworld.jpg
    netherworld.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
It is wrong
View attachment 107609
I wonder why?
Wouldn't read much in to it. I imagine graphics / designs and "mock ups" can differ from final products and can be made at different times, leading to discrepancies like this. The description never claims Atmos on the Storybook, so I gather that's simply what has happened here. Either way, stunning release, which keeps revealing more beauty with each new listen (listening again now).

But a DVD with LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1/Stereo would've been a better option and there're NO further royalty payments to utilize LPCM!!!!!!
As has been stated time and time (and time) again: DVD-V does not support 5.1 PCM.

I’ve approached them about doing a hi-res download through IAA, but no reply as yet.

BUMP! (I'm soaking in it now–beautiful release with a wonderful mix)
Newbie here, is the poll a vote of appreciation for this glorious release? (It will get my vote!)

Have enjoyed several full length listens now, ale in hand. It certainly is a true album experience she has crafted, best heard as a body of work in one sitting. I see she wrote a nice backstory on composing one of my favourite songs so far, Spirit Of The Forest.

What a seductively beautiful voice Ms Crane has. a siren song.

Attachments

• spirit text post lpc.jpg
    spirit text post lpc.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Hmmm, my CD + DVD order from Amazon.ca has been delayed, and it's no longer listed on their site. I assume this is because the demand for it was higher than expected, which is good news, and they're waiting for more stock.
Or they never got any in. I've had this situation with Amazon.ca before where they take forever and eventually cancel your order. I've cancelled and ordered elsewhere for a few dollars more.

Not sure, honestly. CC Music has it listed as backordered, with an ETA of early September. $24 and some change.
https://www.ccmusic.com/netherworld/803341602656
And if you subscribe to their newsletter, you get an additional 10% off.

Since I have such a huge backlog of unplayed/unwatched music/movies, I can wait until September and save over $20 in the process.

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing how you find the mix. Hoping for good things from Jakko. While the music is a change in direction from Deep Blue, it's still great in my book.
I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the 5.1 mix yet (had to dismantle my former, semi-dedicated 5.1 room before my new, fully dedicated Atmos room is complete, so only stereo listening for the time being). I do like the album in stereo, there are some outstanding moments and I can see the potential for a much more engaging experience in surround, but the real revelation has been Deep Blue. I've been streaming it and I find it truly amazing. It's certainly different.

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the 5.1 mix yet (had to dismantle my former, semi-dedicated 5.1 room before my new, fully dedicated Atmos room is complete, so only stereo listening for the time being). I do like the album in stereo, there are some outstanding moments and I can see the potential for a much more engaging experience in surround, but the real revelation has been Deep Blue. I've been streaming it and I find it truly amazing. It's certainly different.
Having binged both Netherworld (the multichannel mix and the stereo mix when travelling or driving) and Deep Blue consistently recently, I feel there's no contest. Netherworld is to my mind a much more rewarding experience as a complete album, her songwriting much more honed, mature and a more fully fleshed body of work with excellent songcraft. I noticed the audio quality tends to be very noticeably different too from its predecessor. Deep Blue at times I'm struggling to hear the clarity of Louise's beautiful voice, the subtle nuances that (comparing it to Netherworld) get lost in all the many effects that are being used on the vocals. I think Deep Blue has some great moments (the title track, Cascading are stellar cuts!) but for me her upwards trajectory from it to Netherworld, is stark. Might be a slower burn for some, but I believe Netherworld will come to be regarded as her masterpiece. Keen to see where she goes next.

Back