May '24 "mind blowing" box guessing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'don't announce until they're for sale' deal sounds like it's related to a big press conference type thing, meaning that this box will get tons more exposure than the regular 4 Quadio releases. I have no idea if this is true or not, honestly, but I would bet that there is some sort of press event for this box, maybe that includes the artist?

Again, I swear on a stack of Q8's, I am just guessing here

And it would indeed be MIND BLOWING if RHINO decided to unleash ALL their Classical QUAD titles in a massive Quadio BOX SET!

The QQ readership, save for a very few, would go into convulsions hurling poisoned darts at a large circular RHINO bullseye!

PERISH THE THOUGHT as the mantra here at QQ Forum: If it ain't Rock 'n Roll .....It ain't MUSIC!
Would that be Mind Blowingly expensive as well?
I have no idea how many Quad Classical titles there are, but I'd suspect quite a few.

Does this new box set imply more (possibly including existing quad mixes, new 5.1 mixes and/or Atmos mixes - maybe one/year)?

Kirk Bayne

Does this new box set imply more (possibly including existing quad mixes, new 5.1 mixes and/or Atmos mixes - maybe one/year)?

Kirk Bayne
Not sure if you've been reading the thread, but the description that this set is "mind blowing" led us to speculate that something is particularly unprecedented compared to sets we have seen before. Perhaps newly-created mixes, Atmos mixes alongside quad mixes, unearthed mixes we haven't heard, or artists we didn't at all expect would allow their mixes to be released.

Last edited:
I was thinking more along the lines of a box set/year (with some existing quad mixes and maybe some new 5.1/Atmos mixes).

Kirk Bayne

Tom Petty is on Reprise I think, a Warner label. There are several surround albums in existence plus the streaming only (and excellent) greatest hits. Why not a Petty box. It would certainly blow my mind.
Greatest Hits (and everything prior) is still under the UMG umbrella, but from Wildflowers on is Warner.

Wildflowers & All The Rest is probably my #1 most-wanted title from the new Atmos series.

Since discussing quad artists and their materials, for me, is like an infant sitting in a room full of adults trying to have a conversation 😅
How much material does 10 Years After have? If not enough for a box set......If your listening Mr Rhino, please, please re release their quad in Quadio

Someone on the Hoffman list wrote about an upcoming Ziggy Stardust blu-ray that has new Dolby Atmos and stereo remixes that are not part of the Rock And Roll Star set. Makes me wonder....a well done box of Mick Ronson era David Bowie in surround would be 'mind blowing'. The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and Pin Ups would make a great set.

Paul Simon would be great. His back catalog was originally on CBS. They released SQ/Q8 of PS, Rhymin' and Still Crazy. WB was distributing those albums for several years. However, for several years recently, Simon has contracted with Sony Music to distribute his solo back catalog.

Herbie Mann would be a great choice. 3 Quads. Push, Push (Q8 only) on Embryo features Duane Allman on guitar. ESSENTIAL! MJQ could be another jazz box. 3 Quads comprising 3 LP's & a Q8 only (Plastic Dreams).

I'd certainly be in for Carly and/or JT. Bought CD-4's of all those. Still, Joni Mitchell would be my guess and hope. Bought those on CD-4, too.

Maybe this has been mentioned, my apologies if it was, but are the first 4 Aerosmith albums a possibility for a quadio boxset? Weren't Get Your Wings, Toys In the Attic & Rocks mixed and released in quad? Is it possible the 1st album was mixed in quad but never released?

Maybe this has been mentioned, my apologies if it was, but are the first 4 Aerosmith albums a possibility for a quadio boxset? Weren't Get Your Wings, Toys In the Attic & Rocks mixed and released in quad? Is it possible the 1st album was mixed in quad but never released?

The Aerosmith catalog is owned by Sony. So Rhino would not have access to those albums.

Best hope for Aerosmith would be one of those Japanese 7" SACD packages like the Santana titles.

Unfortunately, not a Rhino associated label. Aerosmith is controlled by Sony now

Actually, their catalog moved from Sony to UMG in 2021.
Oh wow. Wasn't aware of that. I just checked a few of the 70's albums on Apple Music. It says they're owned by Aerodisc Partnership. I guess they somehow managed to gain control of their catalog and are now using Universal for distribution?

Back