New Opeth album "The Last Will and Testament" releasing October 11th 2024 (Atmos mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimumtumbleweed

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
1722547897630.jpeg

New album coming from Opeth. No news yet on whether there will be a surround mix (although given that every release they've had since 2001 has one, I'd say it's extremely likely).

Amazon.co.uk pre-order link for CD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DBSY58RZ/

EDIT: I spoke too soon; there is indeed a box-set with Atmos on the Blu-Ray: https://www.omerch.com/vendors/54e4...roducts/opeth-the-last-will-testament-box-set
Also a stand-alone Blu-Ray it would seem, although details are sparse: https://opeth.omerch.com/products/opeth-the-last-will-and-testament-cd-blu-ray-digipak
Don't know who did the mix yet.

EDIT: Mix is by Stefan Boman, who also mixed In Cauda Venenum.

Last edited:
Hope it's better than the last couple - Pale Communion (once you fix the out of phase speakers and LFE) was one of my favourite 'new' album surround mixes the year it came out. I'm not one of those 'Steven Wilson needs to remix everything' kind of guys, but a reunion between him and Opeth would be something to get excited about for me.

Hope it's better than the last couple - Pale Communion (once you fix the out of phase speakers and LFE) was one of my favourite 'new' album surround mixes the year it came out. I'm not one of those 'Steven Wilson needs to remix everything' kind of guys, but a reunion between him and Opeth would be something to get excited about for me.
I agree, although the last one was not bad. The fidelity was good and the Swedish version had some more backing vocals that came out in the surrounds. This time the Atmos mix is seemingly not locked in an expensive boxset, so perhaps they have more faith in it/ put more care into it to sell it as a stand-alone? I would definitely like to see SW do an Atmos mix for them though (I'm also hoping it will actually be a good album... I liked In Cauda Venenum a lot, but I haven't liked any other album they've put out since Watershed).

Great news. Opeth's huge in prog and metal, so there will be a lot of news and options available in the coming weeks and months. [normal disclaimer to wait and see what ends up getting listed, no rush]

19.82 for shipping across the pond. Yikes!
Just ordered the CD/BD combo and it is being sent by Remedy Fulfilment (who do SDE) for me the UK postage is £5.65
so around $7.20, so an additional $12.62 to ship across the pond

The Atmos mix on the first track is quite immersive. However, I'm not a big fan of cookie monter voices. I'm hoping the rest of the record is not like this. I will wait to purchase it because of this.
This is the first record since 2008 where they’ve had the growls. Personally I’m glad they’re returning to that style but I understand some people don’t like it. I’ve always wondered had we not gotten Heritage what the record after Watershed would’ve sounded like because I absolutely love Watershed and its production.

What I’d really love is Mikael to have Steven mix every Opeth album in Atmos, not just the ones he produced. Even if they just appear on streaming, I think it would be immense!

This is the first record since 2008 where they’ve had the growls. Personally I’m glad they’re returning to that style but I understand some people don’t like it. I’ve always wondered had we not gotten Heritage what the record after Watershed would’ve sounded like because I absolutely love Watershed and its production.

What I’d really love is Mikael to have Steven mix every Opeth album in Atmos, not just the ones he produced. Even if they just appear on streaming, I think it would be immense!

Yes, I'm aware when they stopped using the Cookie Monster vocals. That's when I got into them. I have enjoyed every album they have released since then. It's not my cup of tea and probably never will be.

I definitely find it curious given the relationship they have with him, why they have not hired him more often to do the surround mixes. Only twice for a newly released album and one remix of an older album.

That being said, the first track, while not my favourite musically does have a pretty decent mix. A little thin but then I find streaming mixes usually are. BD will probably be better.

Yes, I'm aware when they stopped using the Cookie Monster vocals. That's when I got into them. I have enjoyed every album they have released since then. It's not my cup of tea and probably never will be.
Fair enough. I will say I do enjoy the newer stuff, especially Pale Communion. Plenty for a 70s prog fan to like.

while I did expect a new Opeth record this year, I never expected they would return after so many years away to the metal vocals.
not sure I love this return, but I don't hate it so far

:)

Back