New Opeth album "The Last Will and Testament" releasing October 11th 2024 (Atmos mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe. It doesn't say that in any other service. The length of the track also matches the official track listing. Just based on the interviews and the titles of the songs, I'm betting that all the songs are heavily interconnected, so the abrupt cut at the end is just the segue to the next track.

Yes, I'm sure it's that. You can listen to the full song (not edit) on Tidal and it does end like that.

View attachment 108135

New album coming from Opeth. No news yet on whether there will be a surround mix (although given that every release they've had since 2001 has one, I'd say it's extremely likely).

Amazon.co.uk pre-order link for CD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DBSY58RZ/

EDIT: I spoke too soon; there is indeed a box-set with Atmos on the Blu-Ray: https://www.omerch.com/vendors/54e4...roducts/opeth-the-last-will-testament-box-set
Also a stand-alone Blu-Ray it would seem, although details are sparse: https://opeth.omerch.com/products/opeth-the-last-will-and-testament-cd-blu-ray-digipak
Don't know who did the mix yet.

EDIT: Mix is by Stefan Boman, who also mixed In Cauda Venenum.
How was the Stefan Boman surround mix for the last album? Was it a good multichannel mix or merely a rear channel reverb mix?

Here's the Amazon US link but unavailable for now. I'm sure it'll become active eventually.

The Last Will And Testament https://a.co/d/9P7ITy1

Will be reading through this thread, I'm sure somebody else also found it.

Last edited:
The Atmos mix on the first track is quite immersive. However, I'm not a big fan of cookie monster voices. I'm hoping the rest of the record is not like this. I will wait to purchase it because of this.
Fans are flippin' like teenage girls over the return of the cookie monster. I guess some kids never grow. There was a never ending tantrum for the absence of growls. And for Akerfeldt it's a good "product placement" to stay relevant and plan for a better retirement.

I thought the 5.1 mix for In Cauda Venenum was quite good - certainly an improvement over Sorceress. Unfortunately, Mikael Åkerfeldt has never expressed that much interest in surround sound - possibly one reason Steven Wilson hasn't been enlisted to do more mixes. In any case, the shipping cost from the UK for the $21 CD/BD package is about $20! I'll wait for some domestic sources before ordering this. I'm definitely getting it though.

Hope the album title isn't some sort of statement about the band...;)

Just did a first listen on Apple Music. I thought it sounded great (in 5.1). There’s definitely discrete elements, mainly keys and spoken word that pans across the back speakers. I love the new (old?) sound of the record and I’m sure the mix will be even better on the Blu-ray.

Stoked that there is a standalone option!

I don't know that I consider Mikael Akerfeldt to have a hard rock or metal voice. He is definitely not a heavy metal "screamer". What he absolutely does have is one of the very best death growls in existence, from which he can effortlessly switch to a soothing, intimate mid-range baritone - almost a crooner. His ability with clean vocals continues to improve, while his death growls remain as accomplished as ever. That's impressive.

I don't know that I consider Mikael Akerfeldt to have a hard rock or metal voice. He is definitely not a heavy metal "screamer". What he absolutely does have is one of the very best death growls in existence, from which he can effortlessly switch to a soothing, intimate mid-range baritone - almost a crooner. His ability with clean vocals continues to improve, while his death growls remain as accomplished as ever. That's impressive.
Gojiras lead singer is accomplished at delivering very growly but melodic vocals. One of the best. Where he falls short compared to Mikael is everything else vocally. Mikael really does have a tremendous voice and comes up with some beautiful vocal parts. I don't feel like Mikaels death metal singing is exceptional, but it's definitely very good. When looking at him as a complete package vocally, there's few who can do it all as well as him.

Indeed, to me he sounds like a crooner, rather than as a rock singer. As for his death metal vocals, they're probably the best I've heard (and I've listened to tons of death metal in my life).

Dan Swanö sounds a bit similar to Mikael in both registers, but can sound more like a "hard rock Akerfeldt" at times. They had an old project that never really materialized - only a song in demo form appeared back in the day. You will recognize some of the melodies, which were later recycled for an Opeth song :)

Back