Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys is an exceptional sounding album in quad. But just like Maria’s quadradisc, Arlo’s QR does not feature his big hit of the era.

Maybe expectations were high that both Waitress and Cowboys were albums sure to take each of the respective artists to the next level of stardom, rather than career fade-outs.

Me, too, and I have them on quad reels as well -- a much friendlier format than CD-R. When Maria played at Indianapolis's Jazz Kitchen some years ago, I brought the quad reel of Waitress for her to sign. She was shocked to see it, having no idea such a thing existed.

Ah, Warner Bros. Records in the seventies ... relying on its cash cows to underwrite so many great, commercially questionable artists!
I should say the music is great, also. Look these up and check out some of the great musicians on these albums. Just a sampling: Ray Brown, Shelly Mann, Ry Cooder, Linda Ronstadt, to name a few.

Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys is an exceptional sounding album in quad. But just like Maria’s quadradisc, Arlo’s QR does not feature his big hit of the era.

Maybe expectations were high that both Waitress and Cowboys were albums sure to take each of the respective artists to the next level of stardom, rather than career fade-outs.
I think we may be out of luck for Arlo Guthrie, looks like he bought his masters, on the back of Running Down The Road, back cover bottom, Warner Bros 1969, Rising Sun (his Label) 2017. "risingsunrecords.com" Would Warners still own the Quad master ? click on pic to expand.

Attachments

• rising sunrecords.png
    rising sunrecords.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Man. Frisco Mabel Joy - I freakin' love that album and would love to put it out but sadly, we have no master and no rights to Mickey's Elektra catalog. That reverted to his estate.
I know Mickey’s son Chris. He I believe is his estate and has everything. Would Rhino be able to license his stuff? Is that something you would even be interested in? I will be in his neck of the woods next week. I can ask.

Ps Steve AKA ForagingRhino. I called Chris and he told me to give you his number. So pm if you want it.

Last edited:
I think we are out of luck for Arlo Guthrie, looks like he bought his masters, on the back of Running Down The Road, back cover bottom, Warner Bros 1969, Rising Sun (his Label) 2017. "risingsunrecords.com" Would Warners still own the Quad master ? click on pic to expand.
Looking at this credit, it appears Arlo licensed that title (along with much of his back catalog) from WEA. So Rhino should still have legitimate rights to the quad masters.

I thought the same thing. A quick google search tells me they are album titles

Paul Beaver and Bernie Krause (never heard of them)
Arlo Guthrie
Maria Muldaur (never heard of her)
Duke Ellington
Would love Maria's self titled album. Played the hell out of that one when I was young.

Looking at this credit, it appears Arlo licensed that title (along with much of his back catalog) from WEA. So Rhino should still have legitimate rights to the quad masters.
Sadly, Arlo and Maria are not next in the running for a Quadio series release anyway.

The catalog left ABC sometime in the 70s, long before MCA took it over. So they are probably safe.

There are the Atmos mixes of his album streaming, but those almost certainly have to be upmixes. They are very weak. But presuming she had to at least ok those being done, perhaps she’s changed her mind about the quads. 🤷‍♂️

Or...the masters (perhaps some) could have been sold. I believe there are at least a couple of mentions on qq regarding this occurrence whereby master tapes left ABC and were sold rather willy nilly to Japanese buyers .(or at least some were).
And by willy nilly I mean incomplete, as would seem to be the case with the 2 missing songs from Steely Dan Aja.
She (Croce's widow) may only have 2 channel masters .Stereo or ?
Now if they are the QS Encoded 2 Channel masters , then she most certainly has the primary quads , sans 4 channel discreet.

Of course this is highly speculative.

Or...the masters (perhaps some) could have been sold. I believe there are at least a couple of mentions on qq regarding this occurrence whereby master tapes left ABC and were sold rather willy nilly to Japanese buyers .(or at least some were).
And by willy nilly I mean incomplete, as would seem to be the case with the 2 missing songs from Steely Dan Aja.
She (Croce's widow) may only have 2 channel masters .Stereo or ?
Now if they are the QS Encoded 2 Channel masters , then she most certainly has the primary quads , sans 4 channel discreet.

Of course this is highly speculative.
NOT that this has anything to do with Croce's existing [?] QUAD masters but came across this distressing article about the indignities Ingrid Croce suffered after Jim's tragic death:

https://www.contactmusic.com/jim-croce/news/jim-croces-widow-reveals-couples-money-problems_1350613

Back