RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUADIO SPEC BATCH 6-F

QUADIO SPEC BATCH 6-F.jpg

Have there been any "official" hints regarding Quadio batch #6? If yes, I must have missed them.

Poster by who?

Have there been any "official" hints regarding Quadio batch #6? If yes, I must have missed them.

Poster by who?
Yes you must have missed it, in this thread it was revealed that a quad mix not previously released was to be expected in Nov. Quadio batch #6.
We've gone over those unissued mixes in some detail, yet I suspect there are a few we never asked about and were never told about.

Anyhoo, here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...atch-6-speculation-extravaganza.36382/page-12

Yes you must have missed it, in this thread it was revealed that a quad mix not previously released was to be expected in Nov. Quadio batch #6.
We've gone over those unissued mixes in some detail, yet I suspect there are a few we never asked about and were never told about.

Anyhoo, here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...atch-6-speculation-extravaganza.36382/page-12
I looked through the whole thread and could not see any such announcement. Which post number are you referring to?

You must have missed post #735?
How could you miss one of the most exciting posts in the entire thread?
(Edit)
You missed it because it’s in this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...h-5-for-august-2024.36175/page-37#post-792414
O.k., I see that now, it is in a different thread.

It mentions two things which would be nice, an unreleased Quad and some non-soft (= hard?) Rock.

So, to which does the "yes it will" pertain to?
Unreleased Quad
Hard Rock title
Both?

I suppose I could be an optimist and think of Black Sabbath Sabotage.

But I am not sure what to read into this.

It mentions two things which would be nice, an unreleased Quad and some non-soft (= hard?) Rock.

Unreleased Quad
Hard Rock title
Both?

ForagingRhino has already confirmed there is no quad available for Black Sabbath - Sabotage.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...h-5-for-august-2024.36175/page-37#post-792415

Unreleased Quad
Hard Rock title
Both?

I am under the impression that non-soft does not mean Hard Rock. Non-Soft rock means no America, Bread, or Seals and Crofts.
But the likes of Deep Purple, Foghat, and J. Geils, or even Rod Stewart are non-soft. Stewart being pop-rock actually.

Last edited:
Speaking of which....did @ForagingRhino ever comment on whether a quad mix of Love Forever Changes had been made and if so do the tapes still exist?
What makes you ask about this title I was wondering? After reading forums for 25 years I have noticed that this album and the topic of a quad mix existing is a very controversial subject. I'll leave it at that. :cautious::)o_O

Ok so as we move on hopefully from a hot mutha-of-a-summer. we begin to think about clues for the Nov. bundled batch.

Warner
Atlantic
Asylum
Elektra
other vintage Warner Dist. label?
other more recently acquired catalog?

What makes you ask about this title I was wondering? After reading forums for 25 years I have noticed that this album and the topic of a quad mix existing is a very controversial subject. I'll leave it at that. :cautious::)o_O

Some years back Steve 'It's Not My Forum It's Just Named After Me' Hoffman posted there suggesting that he'd seen some kind of alternate mix of Forever Changes, and asked his membership if anyone knew of a quad mix of the album being done.

Personally I think he was asking a question he already knew the answer to, and (like a lot of his apocryphal stories) it was woven from whole cloth and designed more to burnish his reputation as an insider that knows about secrets that us mere mortals couldn't dream of laying eyes on, than to be an honest attempt to gather information.

Like a lot of the other "quad mix rumored to exist" stories, the story grows legs, largely because it's a tantalizing treasure tale - we're all Indiana Jones looking for the 15ips 1/2" discrete four-channel Ark, and you don't want to believe that it doesn't exist. But also because of the opaque nature of the major labels, there's normally no one who will refute or deny these things, so props to ForagingRhino for finally giving us a definitive answer, even if it's not the one that anyone wanted.

Some years back Steve 'It's Not My Forum It's Just Named After Me' Hoffman posted there suggesting that he'd seen some kind of alternate mix of Forever Changes, and asked his membership if anyone knew of a quad mix of the album being done.

Personally I think he was asking a question he already knew the answer to, and (like a lot of his apocryphal stories) it was woven from whole cloth and designed more to burnish his reputation as an insider that knows about secrets that us mere mortals couldn't dream of laying eyes on, than to be an honest attempt to gather information.

Like a lot of the other "quad mix rumored to exist" stories, the story grows legs, largely because it's a tantalizing treasure tale - we're all Indiana Jones looking for the 15ips 1/2" discrete four-channel Ark, and you don't want to believe that it doesn't exist. But also because of the opaque nature of the major labels, there's normally no one who will refute or deny these things, so props to ForagingRhino for finally giving us a definitive answer, even if it's not the one that anyone wanted.
The quad mixed master tape was said to have been recovered from an engineer's storage room (was even named) perhaps after his death, and was never the in possession of Elektra.
The other part of the story was that some alt. mixes were issued on a DLX edition of said album, and which the songs were strongly suspected of being from folds of this quad mix. I didn't bother keeping up with further details on these alt mixes if any. But the tapes were retained by their owners, and not given up as charity for nothing. Lots of dots to connect that may not even connect.

And ForagingRhino confirmed that there is not a quad master at Warner Music. I'm not sure if (in this case) that is a definitive answer on the existence of a quad mix.
I tend to believe the story. It's just an incomplete story.

Last edited:
Back